Author Topic: Defiance  (Read 2900 times)

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
Defiance
« on: September 04, 2013, 06:40:18 AM »
anyone play Defiance? and is it any good?
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Everfreefire

• Boss
Re: Defience
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 06:42:11 AM »
I played it for a bit a while ago, but any sort of shooter isn't really my style of game, so I can't really say if it is good or not.

It was fun for a bit, but since I only tried it to play with my friend, and he ended up not able to, I didn't stick with it.
/em raises a glass. "Next year in the Ski Chalet!"
"Scrappers might not exist any more, but scrapperlock is forever."   -Kaiser Tarantula

Exxar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 07:41:58 AM »
Well it was decent fun for a couple of weeks but I kinda drifted off on to other games so I guess it's nothing special.

Game's biggest problem is horrible chat interface so from what I experienced grouping is nonexistent outside of arkfall public groups and group finder dungeons.

Harlequin565

• Lieutenant
    • Shuttercount - A Photography site...
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 09:19:48 AM »
I think it lasted me a good couple of months before I got bored. Not got around to taking a look at the new Expansion pack yet either. more discussion here :http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7919.0.html

I have discount codes if you're interested. PM me with an email address I can send an invite to.

-H

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 05:56:19 PM »
I play pretty much every day, and I'm still quite engaged. Of course, I have other games to feed my RP/social jones (Defiance is really bad at this, despite some improvements to their social and chat tools). It's not an MMORPG, it's an MMOTPS...so while I wouldn't want to have it as the only game I play, it fills a niche superbly. Despite being "massively multiplayer," the game plays as smoothly as any conventional multiplayer shooter, with terrific movement, real-time (collision detection) reticule aiming, minimal lag, and gorgeous graphics. If you like that kind of combat, this game does it superbly.

It's a pity, really, that the social/chat tools are so minimal, as the game world can be very immersive and the TV tie-in is a fun concept, reasonably well executed. The writing's pretty good, too: cutscenes are at least as good as SWTOR (although not in the simply unmatched league of TSW), and there's a lot to do. It would be a great game for roleplayers...if it weren't so damned hard to talk to each other. The dumbing-down of the interface that console ports suffer from kind of killed it for RP'ers.

The upshot? I like it and play it regularly.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 09:30:36 PM »
I think it lasted me a good couple of months before I got bored. Not got around to taking a look at the new Expansion pack yet either. more discussion here :http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7919.0.html

I have discount codes if you're interested. PM me with an email address I can send an invite to.

-H
that would be awesome thank you :) but I wont be able to try till dec. collage is about to start back up

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 12:23:17 AM »
I find the open world to be a bit solo un-friendly at first.  Once you get better weapons and perks it picks up.  It's a matter of learning to "play chikkin" a bit at first.  Pop up and snipe a small group and let them come to you and then take them out as they arrive.  If you don't the rate of fire from the elite riflemen will destroy you.  Don't get frustrated at first.  Console for social is a pain in the ass, but the controls on the PC make the first attempt at the rubic's cube look easy!  I play it on the 360 and I like it (sniper has some serious damage) but the game hits you right from the start that this is not the usual MMO that you can get your feet wet before the big battles happen.  You will find some missions you can not solo, I tried everything, but you can abandon as many as you want and go back if and when you have help.  I also might add that if you see a box with ammo in it, take some...you will go through a bunch.
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 03:51:11 AM »
I've been playing it for a couple months now and I'm having a blast.  The chat system is absolutely horrible. The "new and improved" chat system, I think made things even worse. During normal play you can see two or three lines of chat unless you open the chat window which takes up half your screen. So really can forget about actually communicating something during combat.

The game play though I really like.  I guess I've had a different experience than Mindbender, because so far there has been no mission I couldn't solo yet. Sure I've died, but nothing I couldn't finish. But I do play on the PC rather than on a console, so can't speak for what that's like. 

Most of the quests are open world, but I really like owyou do not have to compete for objectives with others who are on the same quest or just wandered by and decided they wanted to shoot something. You share credit for the objectives with who ever is participating. There is a bit of a learning curve as it is  third person shooter, so combat can be very fast pace. There's plenty to do, missions, ark falls (these are large open world events) sieges, and the random small events that happen every where

Been jumping from MMO to MMO since CoH closed and so far this has held my attention the longest :-)  largely because its not a fantasy game. So it does fill that need for a sci fi-ish setting. And I like the combat much better that TSW.  Although Defence does lack a bit in depth of story and there really is no reason to make alts, as everyone can potentially do any role
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 04:51:32 AM »
is there 1 server ala sto/co or multiple?

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 04:23:14 AM »
2 Servers...US and Europe.  I have had no lag issues on the console, but I have read that PC lag is there.  It's no wonder that they recommend a quad core and 4 GB of ram with a 512 vid card.  Ark falls are fun.  I ran them tonight...only them.  They drop some decent items.  I have adjusted my style to be able to handle the missions I missed out on (you can go back to them after you drop them).
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 03:02:42 PM »
2 Servers...US and Europe.  I have had no lag issues on the console, but I have read that PC lag is there.  It's no wonder that they recommend a quad core and 4 GB of ram with a 512 vid card.  Ark falls are fun.  I ran them tonight...only them.  They drop some decent items.  I have adjusted my style to be able to handle the missions I missed out on (you can go back to them after you drop them).
cool ty and thank you all for your answers :)

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 06:44:58 AM »
i got defiance deluxe edition from the steam summer sale a couple months ago and really enjoyed it at first but now i only play it occasionally to do new content or daily reputation contracts

the 2 things i found were problematic with the game was the stupendously horrible chat interface, and lack of content, especially more "end game" after you complete the story quests you have 2 options: 1 replay the entire storyline with the exact same mishs and everything, or do nothing except arkfalls/sieges/co op maps and then go back to old quest areas and redo them yourself

i do think though that the game itself is very fun to play with a group of friends mostly due to the fact that theres really no "levels" in the game, the low ego guns are essentially the same as high ego guns and the only thing that makes a huge difference is quality (rarity) of the gun as those have higher dmg and other bonuses

i prefer playing on PC through steam since thats where i got it

Olde Glory

• Minion
Defiance
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 10:22:33 AM »
I Finally started playing Defiance on the XBOX 360. Is anyone playing it? If so, what clans are out there? I can't see a way to search for clans in-game.

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
Re: Defiance
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 03:20:07 AM »
I Finally started playing Defiance on the XBOX 360. Is anyone playing it? If so, what clans are out there? I can't see a way to search for clans in-game.

Best place to look for a clan might be the official foruim's Gameplay section (http://forums.defiance.com/forumdisplay.php?37-Gameplay-Discussion). Scroll down a bit and you'll see a section with subforums for each platform (360, PS3, PC). I have no idea who the big, active clans on the 360 are (North America PC server here...), but that would be a good p-lace to start.