Author Topic: Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 14996 times)

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
Elder Scrolls Online
« on: September 02, 2013, 12:45:50 AM »
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

Absolute

• Lieutenant
Re: Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 02:43:26 AM »
Ignore the cash shop and you've pretty much got what CoH was at release. Buy the box, pay monthly.

Anyone remember when CoH and CoV required separate $15/month payments to play both games? Now that was pretty killer.

I'd really suggest buying 1 box first, trying it out, then buying a second one if you'd like. I've actually bought 2 box games at once and regretted it.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 03:48:55 AM »
Anyone remember when CoH and CoV required separate $15/month payments to play both games? Now that was pretty killer.

Never happened unless you created a brand new account for CoV rather than add it to your existing account like I did.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Samurai Cowgirl

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 12:57:59 PM »
Warcraft was sold like there here too. Possibly even Ever quest (always saw the expansions on the shelf, not sure if they had time cards)
Buy a box for CD's, get a game time card in the box. Time cards could have been 2 or 3 months though, never really paid attention back then.

Everything old is new I guess. Though they aren't doing them selves any favors for what is now a $45 dollar download.
In the end either they'll live up to the "premier" class of MMO, or they'll end up ground beef with the rest of the FTP options.
Always be Stylin!

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 11:33:45 AM »
Think I'll hold off on this one, see if they either drop the $60 box cost, or go to free to play.
--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Stone Daemon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 02:26:59 PM »

As FatherXmas said, no, that was not a thing that happened. From the very beginning they made it clear that, while you would have to buy CoV to unlock it on your account, the two games would be covered by the same subscription.

As for Elder Scrolls...I'm going to sit and wait. I bought into SWTOR, and almost immediately regretted it. It was a decent game, but it was a single player game pretending to be an MMO. I don't enjoy paying monthly for a single player game. Elder Scrolls has always been a single player game, and I just don't see myself teaming on it. So, maybe if it goes free to play I'll jump on.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 04:53:36 PM »
I've only played about... a third of Morrowind, and that's it for me and the Elder Scrolls series.

I may be interested in ESO, but I'd have to see some gameplay mechanics first, not just pretty pictures.

Stone Daemon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 05:47:16 PM »
I've only played about... a third of Morrowind, and that's it for me and the Elder Scrolls series.

I may be interested in ESO, but I'd have to see some gameplay mechanics first, not just pretty pictures.

To be fair...

Morrowind has not aged well at all. Even for it's time, it was kind of...well it was one of those games you either liked enough to accept its flaws, or you didn't. I personally only played a couple hours of it. I probably would have played more if it wasn't a rental, but after returning it I never felt the urge to actually buy it to finish it. It had a terribad quest/navigation system and I was lost and confused the entire time after leaving the first town. (Granted, this was back in the day, when I was but a wee lad.)

If you ever feel like giving The Elder Scrolls a fair shake, pick up Oblivion or Skyrim. They fixed all of the issues I had with Morrowind. The tradeoff, sadly, was that they had removed flight from the game. LE SIGH.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 11:39:52 AM »
I did like Morrowind, but I just sort of drifted away from it and haven't gotten back to it.  I liked the story a lot (particularly the part about becoming The Chosen One by sheer chutzpah), as well as the character customizability (in terms of skills, not so much appearance), and especially the ability to craft your own spells, but I hated all the traveling.

I'm actually less interested in Skyrim because they simplified the mechanics so much that it doesn't sound interesting anymore.  (I particularly don't like that you can only have one summon at a time, or two if you specialize in it; in Morrowind, I had ARMIES) Plus, I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to get it to run in the first place.  It ran slowly and fitfully on my wife's laptop, and her computer is more powerful than mine.

Stone Daemon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 02:51:05 PM »
Ah, ok then. One day I'll have to go back and try to complete the game. It's just hard to work up the urge, given how old it is, heh.

I realized earlier I inadvertently lied. I did buy Morrowind a couple years after I rented it on Xbox, but for my PC. It was too hard to get into it, I barely did anything in the first town before stopping. I'm just not a person that can play first person games on PC.  :-\

Maybe I'll find it in a discount bin for xbox somewhere. I think it's one of the ones that is backwards compatible for 360?

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 03:14:41 PM »
I think it's one of the ones that is backwards compatible for 360?

Yep.

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2013, 04:38:39 PM »
My problem with Elder Scrolls Online is the fact that my RL friends all plan on playing the PS version.  I typically do not enjoy rpgs on a console.  Even more distressing--I have a 360 and not a PS--and the droobs are all talking about upgrading to the PS4.  So I will have to make a very expensive investment if I wanna play with my pals.

Dang

Stone Daemon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 05:11:27 PM »
Yep.

Thank you, Blondeshell. I'll have to look for it and pick it up next time I'm in a Bookmans or something.  :)

Absolute

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 09:02:42 PM »
As FatherXmas said, no, that was not a thing that happened. From the very beginning they made it clear that, while you would have to buy CoV to unlock it on your account, the two games would be covered by the same subscription.

Really? I must have already had multiple accounts by that time then. I always thought when CoV came out, it was a separate game entirely, and only after a set amount of time you could put both under 1 subscription.

Edit: I also remember access to bases were limited to only those with CoV, and I could go into them, so I must have had it on the same account.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 09:14:50 PM »
Really? I must have already had multiple accounts by that time then. I always thought when CoV came out, it was a separate game entirely, and only after a set amount of time you could put both under 1 subscription.
CoV was a separate game in the sense that it granted you access to things that CoH did not (e.g. bases), while CoH granted you access to things CoV did not (e.g. Kheldians).  Mechanically, however, it really just bought you a code to add to your existing account to grant you access to those extra amenities and add a month of play time to your account - or to create a new account if that was what you wanted.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

silvers1

• Boss
Elder Scrolls Online
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 03:32:18 AM »
Anyone else been playing the beta?    ( the last email I received stated the NDA was over, so I guess I can make a few comments )

My impressions so far:

Combat:
The combat to me is a bit clunky and boring.  As you level up, you gain more combat abilities that you can choose from to place
in combat slots.  And like most modern games, you can only slot a few powers at a time to be active, which I strongly dislike.

Graphics:
I was expecting graphics somewhere on the order of what you see in Skyrim.  Not even close.  The graphics are dull
and what I would consider "muddy".  I guess they were trying for a gritty look and feel, but I think they went overboard.
Character avatars are decent, but to play in 3rd person mode you have to zoom way back to get your character to center on the screen. 
Very odd.  To me, the game world felt lifeless and static.

The one thing that is done very well are water effects.

Questing:
I dont like the fact that mini-dungeons are not instanced.  In most cases I would go into one and 90% of the mobs were cleared by other players.
It kind of takes away the feeling of accomplishment when there's little to do in these areas.
Quests are typical fare: go and kill something, collect stuff, etc.  Nothing revolutionary there.
Mob difficulty varied significantly.  Some were fairly easy, some chewed me up in just a few seconds.  They really need to be more consistent.
Voice acting for NPCs that give quests is pretty decent.

NPCs/MOBs:
It is somewhat difficult to distinguish between NPCs and other players.  Most games display either a circle at the base of NPCs are at least text over the head with different colors to show the difference between friend, foe, and friendly NPC.   The only indication you get in this game is when you target the character, you get a faint red outline effect to indicate "foe".  Not very user friendly.

Crafting:
Never did get into it much.   The ones I did try almost always required components that I didnt have.  So cant really comment.

Chat system:
Pretty standard fare.  It was decent, although I still have to say CoH's chat system is far better than anything i've seen since.

Grouping:
There was very little grouping in beta.  Most quests are soloable, and I couldnt find any lowbie dungeons to necessitate joining a group.

Leveling:
Sloooow.  They need to speed it up a bit.  I've been through 3 beta weekends and still am at level 8.

Individuality:
Hard to say at my low level how much variability there will be in looks.  But like most games,  equipment dictates appearance.
I really miss my CoH character creater. :(

There are still many annoying bugs with the game in terms of gameplay and interface.  I'm somewhat surprised they intend to go live soon.
The game is in pretty rough shape.

Overall, i think it will be a decent game, but not great.  I was really hoping for something heads and shoulders over everyting else, but I guess it wasnt meant to be.  There's no way I'm paying $60 for the box, then $15 a month.  I'll wait a while and see if it goes F2P.

--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2014, 07:52:16 AM »
I've already bought it, my RL friend wants to play it. So I went ahead and bought a copy. We've been gaming together for about 8 years on and off? We've been RL friends for more than 20 years I think? We started gaming together with City of Heroes, moved on to WOW after that but we both lose interest in WOW at different times. It's funny cause I just re-subbed to WOW last week and the day I logged on he also just returned after months of being offline. :P

So, I'll be there launch day hopefully it'll be something we both stick with like City of Heroes.

Exxar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2014, 09:52:51 AM »
After my abysmal impressions during a previous beta event, I'm giving it one last chance this weekend.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2014, 05:46:33 PM »
I wanted to play ESO, even signed up for the beta... then they said "free up an additional 30 gigabytes of space to play"

srry, my laptop has a 64 gig SSD, I don't HAVE 30 gigs to free.

plus, yeah, subscription AND full stop cash stop. doesn't make someone like me, who scrimps for every penny, feel very welcome.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 06:13:54 PM »
I was SOOO looking forward to ESO...I had Morrowind/expansions and loved it. I was invited to the beta and was really thrilled. Unfortunately, my old putersaurus could not handle the graphics no matter how i set it...could get the sound, but screen was black. A very nice tech tried so hard to help but to no avail, so I just uninstalled it. This was the ONLY game that I was interest in other than CoX.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.