Author Topic: One Year Ago  (Read 23061 times)

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
Re: One Year Ago
« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2013, 12:52:59 AM »
Was really bittersweet for me. I was laid off that morning and came home to find out Paragon Studios was, as well. I was in disbelief for about twenty minutes before I was able to communicate.

I see the "bitter" part of that, but where's the "sweet"? :P
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: September 04, 2013, 12:58:49 AM »
I see the "bitter" part of that, but where's the "sweet"? :P
He still had CoH around, at least for a few more months?
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2013, 01:11:47 AM »
I was polishing up a round in another game and off to visit my friend that was still playing COX. Got to the house, and usual talk, business, food, health conference, etc. then she just kind of casually said, while the forum was pulled up on her screen, "COX is dying and people are going nuts. Well, all good things come to an end right?" And all I could say at the time, "dang, that sucks." Which she replied something of the likes about going until it goes dark, which I think she did.

Me, I didn't play again. I kept thinking about what could of went wrong, the early warnings, what was missed, I noticed it was getting emptier and emptier besides Virtue and Freedom when all servers used to be full of people at all times of the day and even red side it was common to see people throughout all zones compared to the ghost town it was especially on Victory server. But was it that bad? A few days later, eventually went to the old forum again, it sure as hell wasn't the community that I left. It turned into the cesspool that people used to point at other games and laugh at for being. I think I seen more accusations of "troll" in the few days that followed more than my entire 5+ years of playing. It was a disappointing sight. At first I was just going to write off the community as lost and think nothing more of the closing. Then I heard about Titan.

Thus I came and checked it out. Although some views were extreme and some source of the problem on the old forum stemmed from regulars here attacking others that didn't share the enthusiasm for taking up torches and pitchforks against NCSOFT, I figured it's just an emotional time and it will die down and sensible talk will be tolerated more about the situation with time. Not to mention the passion, although borderline disturbing how people attacked others not feeling the same, I couldn't help but admire it. Thus I stuck around. Blind rage and emotional veils tend to fade with time but passion and wit sticks around longer.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2013, 04:09:45 AM »
I tried to be a voice of reason on the CoH forums after the announcement. Although, I advocated holding out hope for the game's eventual return (in one form or another), I tried to reason with both the ones that wanted to hop a plane over to Korea and drop it on the NCSoft headquarters, and the ones that practically demanded that we give up all hope, for whatever reason.

For the most part, I am a very middle of the road guy. That probably explains why I was hit by a car when I was 7.   :o

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2013, 04:47:54 AM »
I tried to be a voice of reason on the CoH forums after the announcement. Although, I advocated holding out hope for the game's eventual return (in one form or another), I tried to reason with both the ones that wanted to hop a plane over to Korea and drop it on the NCSoft headquarters, and the ones that practically demanded that we give up all hope, for whatever reason.

For the most part, I am a very middle of the road guy. That probably explains why I was hit by a car when I was 7.   :o

When someone tells you "Go play in traffic" they are not serious!  :P
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2013, 05:03:27 AM »
Yeah I remember you Twisted.
Also Father Xmas being rational as usual, and Capt. Electric doing his heroics thing and trying to keep the spirit up in those hard times without prejudging anyone from it seems in his posts.

In those times we could have used a bit more middle of the road. But what in the past is in the past and as long as lessons are learned, it's done. One year later, we are mostly still here, three games in the making, other community members out there still watching, and about 5 days until the Kickstarter kicks off. That is one hell of a lot of progress in one years time.

And still within that time, besides COX, at least two games got shutdown by Disney, Arcane Saga went shut down 16th 2012, Raider Z, ProjectGoblin (made into a mobile game), Zombie Online, Eclipse War Online, Bullet Run, Trickster and other casualties that have fell or on their way in 2013.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2013, 08:53:22 PM »
When someone tells you "Go play in traffic" they are not serious!  :P
They should put those little smilies at the end of their comments if they're not serious when they tell me those things.   :P

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2013, 12:51:53 AM »
I applaud anyone who is keeping their hope alive without hate-talk toward NCSoft. I will never forget what they did, but they are no longer living rent free in any part of my brain. We are still here, still strong, and we will fly the skies of paragon again.....I won't let go of that in my heart. In the end, we will win.

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

PunkusJR

• Boss
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2013, 05:10:28 PM »
I applaud anyone who is keeping their hope alive without hate-talk toward NCSoft. I will never forget what they did, but they are no longer living rent free in any part of my brain. We are still here, still strong, and we will fly the skies of paragon again.....I won't let go of that in my heart. In the end, we will win.

I'll admit, it's a little hard to not feel a little angry sometimes. :/ But you're right, being hopeful is better than being angry.
I am the gun that rains judgement. I am the chill in the spine of evil doers. I am the flame that burns with justice. I am the teal angel that rises from death! I! AM! KAIT0!

Johnny Joy Bringer

• Minion
  • AP 33 /e holdtorch
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2013, 10:38:27 PM »
Feel angry! We feel angry also. If you need to write that down, but don't send it to anyone. Get the feelings out. Tell us your are angry, and we will be honest and say that its natural. But let the anger go. It's not productive. Anger is passion without a useful direction, so give your passion a direction and everything will be much better. We all have shared your experience, to a very close degree. Let's be productive together rather than seething in our loneliness.

I felt very down when I heard about Ascendant. Every bit of optimism left my body. I found someone who I shared so many interests with, and he was someone I would never talk to again, but I didn't know him all that well. We shared only a few in and out of game conversations near the end. He was about the only person who really enjoyed some of same interests, such as Astro City. We both made mad crazy character names up out of nowhere. Right now I would have told him I want to create a water blaster called Phil Buckets. So, anyways, I was down. Victoria Victrix reminded me I was not alone. That a solid community, and that people like us come together and help each other. She said people would gather at GenCon, and that I was welcome. I was unable to go, but her words made me feel much better. There are many game communities our there, but COH had a community that was far more friendly and protective of their own.

So, PunkusJR, we are with you. We know how you feel. And I'm sure we are here for you. Turn anger into creative passion, and we'll all do what we can to help. Look for us at Sci-Fi and game cons. We'll be there. If you need an outlet write a story, or create artwork around your characters.

That being said, you can take action without anger or hate. If you don't see the need you don't have to spend money with NCSoft,  or you could always write them. I confess to tweeting about them releasing the game knowing full well they wont. But, then again eternal hope is what drives a hero, or villain.

Take care.

I'll admit, it's a little hard to not feel a little angry sometimes. :/ But you're right, being hopeful is better than being angry.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:38:31 PM by Johnny Joy Bringer »

PunkusJR

• Boss
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2013, 05:13:09 AM »
Feel angry! We feel angry also. If you need to write that down, but don't send it to anyone. Get the feelings out. Tell us your are angry, and we be honest and say that its natural. But let the anger go. It's not productive. Anger is passion without a useful direction, so give your passion a direction and everything will be much better. We all have shared your experience, to a very close degree. Let's be productive together rather than seething in our loneliness.

I felt very down when I heard about Ascendant. Every bit of optimism left my body. I found someone who I shared so many interests with, and he was someone I would never talk to again, but I didn't know him all that well. We shared only a few in and out of game conversations near the end. He was about the only person who really enjoyed some of same interests, such as Astro City. We both made mad crazy character names up out of nowhere. Right now I would have told him I want to create a water blaster called Phil Buckets. So, anyways, I was down. Victoria Victrix reminded me I was not alone. That a solid community, and that people like us come together and help each other. She said people would gather at GenCon, and that I was welcome. I was unable to go, but her words made me feel much better. There are many game communities our there, but COH had a community that was far more friendly and protective of their own.

So, PunkusJR, we are with you. We know how you feel. And I'm sure we are here for you. Turn anger into creative passion, and we'll all do what we can to help. Look for us at Sci-Fi and game cons. We'll be there. If you need an outlet write a story, or create artwork around your characters.

That being said, you can take action without anger or hate. If you don't see the need you don't have to spend money with NCSoft,  or you could always write them. I confess to tweeting about them releasing the game knowing full well they wont. But, then again eternal hope is what drives a hero, or villain.

Take care.

Heh, I will be looking for COHers at cons I can go to. But yea. ^^ Anger can be channeled, but it's not good to stew in it.
I am the gun that rains judgement. I am the chill in the spine of evil doers. I am the flame that burns with justice. I am the teal angel that rises from death! I! AM! KAIT0!

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2013, 06:43:37 AM »
We both made mad crazy character names up out of nowhere. Right now I would have told him I want to create a water blaster called Phil Buckets.

My Mastermind villain-turned-hero, Tubbius Regalis, had a Bruiser named Phil Paine.  :)

Sajaana

• Boss
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2013, 09:56:57 PM »
The last thing my main, Jean "Femme Fencer" Depallier, did before "the day" was to get taken out by John Starkweather to Black Friday.  We had gotten engaged a few weeks before.  I was pregnant with his child.  I remember going to Icon and getting every bit of the dress just right...it took me at least an hour.  We ran into some old friends, some old enemies, and had the best time.

It was so wonderful that night before.  We laughed, we drank, we talked about the VoPC, and we had so much fun there.  It was, simply put, the greatest night of Jean's life, because she loved John for years.  But he never looked at her that way until she became his "go to girl" and trusty assistant.  We built the VoPC together in that last year.  We ran it smoothly, but fanatically, and our ranks were growing every day.  I can't tell you how deep we were in the whole CoH life.  Every day we did something new, met new people, RPd more people into our plots, and so on.

And now, Jean's dream of being Mrs. Jean Starkweather was becoming a reality.  I even reserved the name and made my alt for the day we'd finally get hitched.  I'd major in Katana and Regeneration...a perfect PvP build so I could protect my husband and the leader of the VoPC.  I was already trying to think of priest characters I knew who could marry us.  I was already making a list, in my head, of my bridal party.  And I was thinking about where we could hold it...right at Williams Square...right where Jean wanted it.

Little did we know, that night, events were being put into motion that would destroy everything we built.  There would be no wedding...how could we have a wedding with such a pall over us?  There would be no child...how could I give birth to a child amidst all the uncertainty?  The VoPC itself was split in two.  Some went to TSW.  Others, like me, stayed behind.  Within a few days, we did our final RP together as a group.  And then, it was done.

I'd like to say it'll be the same if we got our city back.  It'll be good, no doubt, but I don't know if it could ever compare to that sole, singular night on August 30, before "the end times."  Perhaps it was just as well to have that one, perfect date: that one, perfect show of gratitude and devotion we had towards each other at Black Friday.  That's what I'll always remember about Paragon City; that's the moment that made all the levels, base building time, RP plots, AE work, Virtue Verse entries, BBS posts and /tell hell worth while.  I'll always have that.

But maybe, with all our effort, we'll have better.

Here's to better!

healix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2013, 12:19:43 AM »
After the loss and sadness sadness we all have felt, I can only imagine the feeling of seeing that familiar splash screen and logging in again for the first time. I believe we will...and when that happens, I will be grateful for the opportunity of being puked on by zombies, drained by sappers and being overcome by yellow fever (tell hell).......AFTER I have stopped sobbing from happiness. I won't give up the hope that we will have our City back.

"Here's to better"....well said, Sajaana. Well said.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2013, 02:18:42 PM »
After the loss and sadness sadness we all have felt, I can only imagine the feeling of seeing that familiar splash screen and logging in again for the first time. I believe we will...and when that happens, I will be grateful for the opportunity of being puked on by zombies, drained by sappers and being overcome by yellow fever (tell hell).......AFTER I have stopped sobbing from happiness. I won't give up the hope that we will have our City back.

"Here's to better"....well said, Sajaana. Well said.

Well said!!  I concur  :)

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2013, 08:27:34 AM »
on the day of the announcement it had been like any ordinary friday i was off work so i was logged in most of the day playing like usual and was hearing wierd things in chat so i popped over to the forums to find out what really was going on

at first when i had read it i thought it was some sort of random prank or something, but after it was confirmed by zwillinger i was thinking to myself "oh no this is not good" and when i went into work the next day my co workers had definitely noticed that i wasnt myself cause the game i loved for the prior 6 years as well as all the poeple i knew would be going away in a matter of months, extremely abrupt as well as there being little to no reasons given for the shutdown

in the month following the announcement i was mostly logging in and sentinel exporting all my toons in hopes they could be used one day and so i could save all of my toons as memories and went in game only to tour the city showing everyone i could all the various easter eggs throughout the city

around the end of september i had almost stopped logging in for awhile because it was just too painful and i had started playing borderlands 2 then to hopefully kill some time while i hoped this bad memory had floated by but after the next 2 months i could tell that wasnt going to happen, the last couple days before shutdown i had logged in all day to try to gather up contact information from as many poeple as i could for hopes of keeping in touch once the game was down.  i had stayed on till 3 am eastern time when i was forcibly disconnected during a super mothership raid with the devs spawning all sorts of stuff in the bowl of the mothership

in the following months i have been finally getting through some of my steam games list (played ~30 bought another ~130 lol) and kept up on titan, and as they say the rest is history

Stormsurge

• Minion
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2013, 04:26:55 AM »
To this day I still hold out hope that one day, City of Heroes will return. In fact I won't ever give up on that hope. Here is Titan Network, with a still diligent CoH community, here to prove that the game is actually still alive and well... just not up and running. We are all waiting for the day we can log back in.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2013, 06:16:32 PM »
I see it like this.  Fallout was a popular game, one I never knew about untill fallout 3.  Then I found it to was a game that, well, became a series that had to be shelved.  Then fallout 3 came out to hit with a ton of success.  City of heroes could to the same, why could it not do the same?  It was popular but didn't have the recognition due to advertisement.  Whoever takes it up will likely see that one mistake and actually turn the game into a success.  Heck, city of heroes 2 could if the IP was given to a good developer/publisher become a very big thing.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

healix

• Elite Boss
« Reply #58 on: September 12, 2013, 10:51:37 PM »
This is such a huge community of people who really loved CoH....it HAS to come back, somehow. I believe that.

navyrayne

• Minion
« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2013, 11:47:29 PM »
I don't post a lot, but maybe that will change now that I see all these other people that loved CoH as much as I did. Plenty of people that loved it even more,

A little over a year ago, I made a mistake. A mistake I still regret to this day, something that I should not have done, something of a knee jerk reaction...

I reacted to the news that CoH was closing down, by walking away. I logged in a few times, but when I walked away I had resigned myself to the notion that an MMO I had been playing since 2005 (my second longest stint since Eve Online) was closing down for good. So, when I walked away, I walked away from everything including the official forums and the game itself. Though I was also extremely busy working in the games industry (I still am) on a little Project called Kerbal Space Program, and my daughter had been born not but a few months before hand. So my Life was busy, and all of that took more of my time, including time I wanted to try and make to enjoy a few more nights of CoH...

So, in walking away, I never knew about AP33, TF Hail Mary, or anything else until after it had happened and I had missed it all...

Now I've this feeling that I'll be chastised or made fun of, but I really feel as though I failed. I let anger, and emotion stop me from enjoying the last few weeks to months of CoH with a great community. I let it stop me from a few more nights of RP, a few more nights of Incarnate Trials, a few more nights in Paragon City.

Now, a year later, I regret....

I regret not making the time.
I regret not enjoying a few more TF's
I regret not enjoying a few more IT's
I regret not enjoying a few more RP sessions.

Most of all, I regret not standing with the rest of the community.

So a year later?

I regret.
Community and Media Relations Manager - Pixel Constructor LLC - Grumpy Witch
Formerly,
Community Manager - Kerbal Space Program - Squad Games
Community Manager - Legends of Aethereus - Three Gates Studio
Community and Media Relations Manager - Heliborne - JetCatGames