Author Topic: Did you ever start the game in Galaxy City?  (Read 5296 times)

Candie Firestar

• Underling
Did you ever start the game in Galaxy City?
« on: August 22, 2013, 10:37:06 PM »
Before Freedom launched, which made that zone no longer a starting zone, did you ever start in Galaxy City?

I remember when I first started playing CoH back in 2004, that was the zone I chose to start in.  Back then, it had as much population as Atlas Park.  Not so much as the years went on and AP became the default starting area for long-time players.

I remembered doing a lot of street sweeping in GC in the early days.  *sigh*

As I recall, GC was the zone where the first SG Fair was held on the Triumph server and that is where I encountered "The Girls of Nukem High" and immediately made a new toon for their SG.  That was me, Candie Firestar.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
Re: Did you ever start the game in Galaxy City?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »
Yes, I would start in Galaxy City alot because on some servers, the chatter in the chat channels was just too much and I preferred the quiet of that zone.  And I like the zone design better there  too.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 11:19:53 PM »
Every once in awhile, usually when I wanted to start out a new toon with some street sweeping.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 11:35:24 PM »
Occasionally I would pop over to GC instead of Atlas, yes.  but in general I preferred the sunnier open parks at AP to the closed in urban towers of GC
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Bear

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 11:53:08 PM »
There was some bug in beta such that certain characters couldn't start in AP. So I started in Galaxy and did so with a lot of characters thereafter.

Then they destroyed it.

But I had a few characters who were logged out in the old GC. When you logged in you would see it as it was... devoid of trainers, etc. Couldn't use the tram to get out, but ended up zoning to Perez Park and that dumped me into a viable zone.
the+Bear

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 12:17:34 AM »
I actually prefered starting in Galaxy over Atlas Park, because the lower population meant less lag, and fewer noobs acting like idiots... Besides, it was much better laid out for street sweeping to get through those first few grueling levels.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 12:24:10 AM »
I started off my characters in Galaxy about 25% of the time, so yeah. I started quite a few of them off there.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 12:42:52 AM »
Mostly I went with Atlas because I enjoyed the people watching. Checking out the characters they had made, costumes and bios and whatnot. That was one of my favorite things to do, and Atlas had a pretty steady stream of traffic so I just kind of ended up there between other things anyway.

I did start in Galaxy a handful of times though, and it was pretty cool. I spent one really fun night there hanging out with a newbie. He was brand new in town, like maybe a couple days, and he asked me how I was doing those emotes. So I showed him and afterward we street sweeped a bit, and mished a bit, and then we came back and just kinda hung around having a laugh. I don't think he ever logged in again, iirc he was on the 2-week trial, but that was a hilarious couple hours :D

I'd have started there a lot more if it had survived, definitely. After the revamp Atlas Park got seriously laggy for me and it started to become painful just to roam through there to pay base rent. I would've happily made Galaxy my go-to zone if I could've at that point. As it was I usually did all my parking in Kings Row.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 12:44:59 AM »
I occasionally did, but often I didn't notice much of a change, I ended up heading to atlas because of the lack of people, more then anything.  Often I started in galaxy for the purpose of soloing missions, usually.  I did return to galaxy city occasionally though and even RP'd there.

Laughing Alex
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 12:56:49 AM »
I occasionally started in GC, and that's what prompted me to get a new computer. When I found a concept/build combination I finally wanted to stick with, I kept dying against Vahzilok because of the 3-5fps I was getting.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 01:45:14 AM »
Always. For as long as I had the option.

I was extremely disappointed in the loss of Galaxy City. I understand that it was going to be the start of the Batallion storyline but (dramatic grasping to the heavens) WHY? WHHHYYYYY!!
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 02:00:20 AM »
I did only 1 character by accident my grav/storm troller it wasn't bad, but I was used to going to atlas
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 02:34:35 AM »
Most of my characters started in Galaxy.  I liked the park in the SE corner (full of RPers on Victory) and the Skull entrance to Perez Park was in Galaxy.  Plus I like the direct proximity of the tram station, hospital and BABs.  Then they have an Arena that I used when it was new in Issue 4.  But it's dome roof was a great spot to fight Rikti during an invasion, since I would lag out if I went to where everyone would gather due to being on dial-up.  :-[

It wasn't until later when the AE spam became overwhelming in AP that more people choose to start there, until the devs nuked it.  :(
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

PunkusJR

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 06:55:09 AM »
When I had major Altitis (I didn't get a 50 for years, even though I played for the longest time) I would start in Galaxy. >.> Don't look at me like that. I had to build a new character monthly because my dad would max out one and start a new one. And of course he'd want me to start with him.
I am the gun that rains judgement. I am the chill in the spine of evil doers. I am the flame that burns with justice. I am the teal angel that rises from death! I! AM! KAIT0!

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 10:15:51 AM »
Way back when, in Issue 7 through Issue... 9, I think... pretty much every character of mine started in Galaxy.  This was especially true if I picked Super Jump or Flight.  Galaxy had some of the tallest 'generic' buildings in CoH, and I enjoyed seeing just how high I could go on them.  Used to have a lot of fun just hanging out on windowsills a couple dozen storeys up.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 11:02:57 AM »
Aside from my first character, almost all of mine started in Galaxy.  Galaxy was my home.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Metal Mountain

• Minion
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 12:46:19 PM »

Ditto, most of my characters started up levelling in Galaxy - hunting Vahz in Gemini Park was a favourite thing  8)
If a jerk hacker is found, we reverse hack-jerk. -Pohsyb

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 12:58:05 PM »
Only in the first 6 months or so did I use Galaxy City.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Ultraamann

• Minion
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 01:45:28 PM »
I only ever started in Galaxy City.  I hated Atlas Park with a raging passion, even more so after they destroyed GC and forced you to go there.  I took things full circle and left all my characters in the echo of Galaxy City when the game ended.

GamingGlen

• Boss
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 01:50:33 PM »
Sometimes; really didn't see much difference in actual game play.