Author Topic: Cybermind Finale  (Read 2757 times)

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Cybermind Finale
« on: August 22, 2013, 10:20:05 PM »

Gotta say that I didn't enjoy this one. The lockout feature when facing the bad guy is totally a pain in the but when it's so easy to die in a mission. I spent most of the final fight dead. Whether or not the people who were alive got any kind of reward after the finale I don't know.

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
Re: Cybermind Finale
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 10:26:34 PM »
I found it fun and generously informative.
Spess

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 12:21:41 AM »
In case it's useful or entertaining at all... I edit-posted about what got me to go from feeling like a disaster/liability, to actually enjoying this alert as one of my faves now.

It's at the end of Brou's post about the update.... jic...

You do really need some kind of res to enjoy this alert. Or someone who will be nice enough to do it for you. So, it can be an expensive alert if you're buying devices, like I have been.

I've got it down to only dying maybe once or twice now tho and who knows maybe I get it down to zero (in a team that is even capable of finishing, ofc..).

It was definitely not love at first sight for me and this alert, either.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 01:08:29 AM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 01:11:22 AM »
Remember that you can purchase Servitor Serum (res device) for silver champions recognition. If you really want to be cheap, you can farm Zombie Powder.
Spess

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 01:23:13 AM »
I want to be really cheap. I'm still buying Silver Champ gear. Have to find out where to get zombie powder..

There were some boxes that dropped from... Blood Moon? That give Servitor Serum as a random reward. That's what's been getting me by until now on Lee but I've been spending the G's otherwise. 

Triumphant 4-packs and Servitors were going for ~ 8-12G the last time I checked the Auction Exchange. Historically, sometimes I get lucky and get a Triumphant for cheap (2-4G) but I'm guessing that won't happen for awhile, now..

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 01:41:47 AM »
The lockouts, and the game's inconsistent use of them, are one of my biggest complaints about boss fights in CO, especially on enemies that can simply up and kill you, like Jack Fool, Gravitar, and now this.  I've occasionally been locked out of fights because I didn't have a 'fast' travel power (superspeed, teleport), and the rest of the team did, and decided to leave me behind.  Can't begin to tell you how many times this happened on the second-to-last stage of Whiteout.

Fights where a self-res is basically required are similarly BS.  I'm not hung up on stars, but only one Silver AT even has a rez, self or otherwise, and I don't feel like farming silver champs recog due to community BS (the biggest sources of which come from things that most people will kick an AT out of their teams before attempting).

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 01:46:45 AM »
The lockouts, and the game's inconsistent use of them, are one of my biggest complaints about boss fights in CO, especially on enemies that can simply up and kill you, like Jack Fool, Gravitar, and now this.  I've occasionally been locked out of fights because I didn't have a 'fast' travel power (superspeed, teleport), and the rest of the team did, and decided to leave me behind.  Can't begin to tell you how many times this happened on the second-to-last stage of Whiteout.

Fights where a self-res is basically required are similarly BS.  I'm not hung up on stars, but only one Silver AT even has a rez, self or otherwise, and I don't feel like farming silver champs recog due to community BS (the biggest sources of which come from things that most people will kick an AT out of their teams before attempting).

Forming a team of people you trust  is a good way to avoid all of that stuff. The issue with people tapping Cybermind and locking others out can be remedied in the same way Warlord works; by yanking people in. Let's bring that up to Trailturtle.
Spess

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 02:02:42 AM »
I did it three more times. The last time was with a really fun team of people where everyone seemed to be making a good faith
effort.

Even so,  I think the bar in this thing is too high. A couple of teams didn't even have the damage to get through the walls. Fortunately my last team had someone with a rapid fire rez, so Cybermind wasn't a horribly long thing.

All in all, it's not something I see myself doing for the fun, and the reward drops aren't high enough to justify grinding it for me. 

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 03:21:03 AM »

And I still say that I had fun. For all the reasons I said.

Therefore I call BS on your BS.

Also, the only thing that determines your need for a res in this alert is
a) lack of skill (generally due to lack of experience with this new-to-everyone alert that isn't really that hard after you do it enough times and are paying attention...)
b) bad luck - things happen.

And if you do die there is nothing saying you have to get a res. I have completed this alert by dying several times with no res.. I suggested you have one because of team etiquette. To be a good team player when the situation calls for it.

And while we are at it.. Jack Fool's death touch sucks. Yeah, well, who cares. We all know it is going to happen from time to time, it doesn't happen that often, and when it does it is no tragedy. Plus, there is no special bonus for running his alert so again, who cares. Just don't run it if it offends your gaming sensibilities. Simple.

And another thing. Gravitar is uber (even if she has to occasionally cheat...) and even the ubers respect her - GOOD. There is stuff like this in every worthwhile game I ever played. There has to be something like this in CoH I can't think of right now. Something you "feared and dreaded" because it was unfair and would spank you sometimes no matter how tough you thought you were. And some people will come away with these experiences with funny stories and experiences and maybe even learn something about the game, others... well..

To me, these things just add personality to the game. Prolly because I like the game and aren't always looking for it's flaws or questioning if I'm having fun.

So there!  : p

I did it three more times. The last time was with a really fun team of people where everyone seemed to be making a good faith
effort.

Even so,  I think the bar in this thing is too high. A couple of teams didn't even have the damage to get through the walls. Fortunately my last team had someone with a rapid fire rez, so Cybermind wasn't a horribly long thing.

All in all, it's not something I see myself doing for the fun, and the reward drops aren't high enough to justify grinding it for me. 

Yup, like some other hard alerts, every team isn't going to make it. Especially while it is new and not routine and everyone's not running it in their sleep.

I don't see myself running this alert a ton either.. And I was about to give up on it too. Totally understandable. Plus, you're right, the typical reward seems weak for this alert (especially now, while it still seems difficult, anyway). I bet if the costume pieces look decent at all they will go for a fortune, tho. I dunno what else is supposed to drop.

At first I was pumped about a new Alert but after first trying it... I was about to give up real early on. Like on the 3rd or 4th try, even. This alert was really frustrating me. I was really close to give up because I thought I was just gimped by having no self res power and so I was ruining it for everyone else by joining, and just embarrassing myself in the process.

I'm glad I ran into some good people to play with early on and had time to figure things out with them because now this is one of my favorite alerts when the team is decent.

Now that I have a grasp on what to do I'm enjoying it's newness and getting good at it. The comments that it is too hard just make it feel more worthwhile to conquer  : ) Especially when showing up AT snubbers.

It makes a world of difference if you go in with good people, even if you fail, because everyone is working together for the same thing and doing their best and when ya fail... oh well. Learn and try again. Makes victory that much sweeter next time.

Or, maybe ya just find out that you don't wanna hop around chasing lights for a typically minor reward.

It's definitely not going to be for everyone.

The alert I won't do anymore is AO'whatever-his-name-is. Mega regening bast.. Teach me the secret of that one and I'll prolly run it too, tho, for the prestige if nothing else... hehe. I've been in teams that beat him before but I can't tell you how we did it.

I bet if we got a Titan crew together we could destroy this new alert easy with a little practice.

It's mostly just chase the lights/stay alert/hope you have enough other people that can do the same so you have enough dps to win before falling asleep.

Some Faves:

Todogut

• Boss
    • Todogut on deviantART
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 04:26:59 AM »
I played through the FATAL ERR0R finale with my level 40 behemoth. It wasn't easy, but our team finished.

Apparently, two of the players had done the alert before. Another player quit. So, we were down to four by the end (another tanker, a melee damage dealer, and a healer).

Everything seemed straightforward and fun until the final chamber with Cybermind and the red, yellow, and blue columns. There, the game mechanic gimmicks took quite a while for our team to catch onto, during which we suffered many defeats (some of them intentional to regroup with defeated teammates who were locked out), which wasn't fun.

Finally, we got the rhythm of the colored lights and wore down the virtual villain. The rewards that I received were quite underwhelming for the time and effort we put into the fight. I don't know if other teammates got something they liked.

Still, I enjoyed the storytelling and spectacle. So, good job, Cryptic Northwest.

As for doing the alert again? It would be good to have a team of friends going in.

A pick-up group is tough for the demanding game mechanics of the final battle. I would expect a high frequency of quitters and non-completions.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 06:10:13 AM »
I'm gonna regret this tomorrow.. *yawwwn..*

After the discussion here I had to log on to see if that alert was really like I remembered it. Chase the lights & stay awake, I mean. So I thought I'd jump in the queue and give it a go when I saw a call for one more dps to join a team. I sent them a tell and joined up.

Just finished a string of 5 wins in 45 minutes and there was some breaking in-between. I Almost get to say I didn't die once.. On any of the runs. But. In the last seconds of the last Cybermind fight I got myself dead right before we won. I think it was because I was all dreamy how I would claim bragging rights and just zoned out for a second when I shoulda been watching hps. I think I had the only death.

I had to keep turning off my taunt with Lee, otherwise the run back from playing light-tag felt like it was really cutting it close. Other than that I just stayed alert, kept my hps high, stuck on the same target as other people, and played light tag until CM was down.

No one got any loot but resources  : / That part sucked. I'm thinking that if the costume pieces are decent at all they are gonna sell for a fortune.

Practice makes this alert seem simple compared to when you first run it. Like when you guys taught me how to fight Warlord. It seemed tough at first but that fight seems obvious with what to do, now. I think this one might never be a cakewalk due to the damage spikes seem harsher but it definitely gets easier with practice and good teams.

In a great team, well, it actually is a cakewalk.

Some Faves: