Author Topic: The Big Giant Icon Thread  (Read 203191 times)

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
Re: The Big Giant Icon Thread
« Reply #1280 on: July 07, 2013, 10:30:36 AM »
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 12:52:03 PM by Mike D »

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #1281 on: July 07, 2013, 02:19:39 PM »
Edit:  Actually, Codewalker, any chance Icon will eventually be able to load SentinelPlus files in some capacity or other?
Debatable, given that it turned out Sentinel exports are missing some of the information the game client appears to be expecting from costume definitions: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,8600.0.html
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Scrilon

• Underling
« Reply #1282 on: July 07, 2013, 04:21:04 PM »
Is the new server being worked on? If so, when can we expect to see it?

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #1283 on: July 07, 2013, 06:20:14 PM »
This is not the thread you are looking for. Titan Icon exploits the client to grant us access to some of the client-side functionality, but it cannot and will not replace an actual game server.

There is a very recent thread with the same question, so I'll refer you there: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,8738.0.html
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 06:32:08 PM by The Fifth Horseman »
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Tyger

• Minion
« Reply #1284 on: July 07, 2013, 07:54:03 PM »
Icon is NOT a "memorial". I don't for one moment believe it was ever intended to be. It is a babysitter, until we can get back into Paragon again. Enjoy the jingly keys. ;)
To me it's like suckling sweet nectar off a baby's head:

Mmm, head.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1285 on: July 07, 2013, 07:57:11 PM »
This is not the thread you are looking for. Titan Icon exploits the client to grant us access to some of the client-side functionality, but it cannot and will not replace an actual game server.

There is a very recent thread with the same question, so I'll refer you there: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,8738.0.html

Also: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Titan_Icon

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1286 on: July 07, 2013, 08:01:36 PM »
This is not the thread you are looking for.

Are you legally allowed to say that without the picture? Here use this one:

Crap, wrong one... stupid telemarketers! >:(

*shuffles some files around* Aha, found it!

Whew! Thank goodness... wouldn't want you to get in trouble with the Meme Police. I got your back, buddy. ;)

Blackshear

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1287 on: July 09, 2013, 01:22:33 AM »
Debatable, given that it turned out Sentinel exports are missing some of the information the game client appears to be expecting from costume definitions:

Well, no biggie.  As soon as the ability to save costumes was added to the game I went nuts with it...while I'm sure I am by no means the heavyweight champion of costume saving, the 341 files in my costume folder still strike me as a decent number.  There are only a few that I neglected to save, and I'm sure they can be easily recreated.

Pinnacle Blue

• Boss
  • Pinnacle Server is best server.
« Reply #1288 on: July 09, 2013, 03:19:34 AM »
Was bored, so I decided to give all this a whirl.  Very nearly ended up following the Mac instructions but I noticed they didn't quite make sense, so everything's working fine.

OMG.

I'M FLYING AGAIN!
Warshades don't take Alphas.  They give Alphas.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #1289 on: July 09, 2013, 05:20:52 AM »
I disagree, strongly.

One - the whole idea is to develop a Community Server - that is being worked on right now, so this issue will come up anyway.  I repeat - a "private server" is already an explicit development goal here.  Surely you are aware that this has been discussed here on numerous occasions?

Two - If we don't distribute copyrighted content, NCSoft's got nothing on us.  In this "baby step," if all the server stores is a character name and X,Y,Z position in the game, then that is not copyrighted material.  I repeat, if we don't distribute that, we're in the clear.  That's been debated ad nauseam in other threads already.

Personally I'm hoping that the endgame is a private server SOFTWARE PACKAGE released into the wild.  At that point the servers are immortal and even if there were a dedicated shut-down effort, two would spring up for every one shut down (and ideally we'd have the ability to play privately in our own worlds if we wanted)
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #1290 on: July 09, 2013, 05:41:46 AM »
Personally I'm hoping that the endgame is a private server SOFTWARE PACKAGE released into the wild.  At that point the servers are immortal and even if there were a dedicated shut-down effort, two would spring up for every one shut down (and ideally we'd have the ability to play privately in our own worlds if we wanted)
I'm not disagreeing.

Scendera

• Boss
  • Faith Manages.
« Reply #1291 on: July 09, 2013, 05:45:09 AM »
I think everyone hopes for that. I know I certainly do!

That said, the more it's openly discussed the more chance of a crackdown, so it might be better if there was less talk about it.

malonkey1

• Elite Boss
  • A person who does stuff.
« Reply #1292 on: July 09, 2013, 01:43:05 PM »
What I'd like to see is that there's a server pack, but also that one could modify the game itself, too. (New Powers, different missions, new maps, etc).
BadWolf: "The point that JaguarX is trying to make, of course, is that City of Heroes is like a tree. And Google is like a Toyota...Corolla...? Which would make NCSoft a trespasser, shot by...um, Mister T...which is good, because diplomacy...?"

The internet is full of Comedy Gold.

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #1293 on: July 09, 2013, 02:31:33 PM »
Honestly, I'd love to get the AE fully functional and then allow us to somehow share user created content.
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

Dinah Might

• Minion
« Reply #1294 on: July 09, 2013, 02:54:06 PM »
My concern with a private server is that I will never find out about it.  I don't have any skills to contribute to the creation of the new games, or creation of the private server, and I'm not confident in my skills to make a fan site.  I feel that I am border line "lurker" on these websites despite the fact that I visit this site, and numerous other City of Heroes sites DAILY.  I am still living the CoH lifestyle.  The advantage to the NCSoft servers was the diversity of the community.  I hope the private servers (if they come) will be as diverse.  If anyone is listening, and IS creating a private server, I miss this game immensely and want to be part of it.

Also, I want to contribute to...... well anything to keep the memory of this game alive, but I don't know what to do.  Thus I offer my services to anyone who needs help.  Unclear what I can do, but I want to help!

Phaetan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #1295 on: July 09, 2013, 02:54:57 PM »
OMG.

I'M FLYING AGAIN!
Does the heart some good, no?

Dinah Might

• Minion
« Reply #1296 on: July 09, 2013, 02:55:51 PM »
Honestly, I'd love to get the AE fully functional and then allow us to somehow share user created content.

As a follow up to my previous post.  If this would happen I would GLADLY create a TON of missions to be traded.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #1297 on: July 09, 2013, 03:46:55 PM »

Due to how AE works, it's not something that could happen until there already is a functioning server capable of normal missions. It add additional complexity on top of the standard mission and combat engines, it does not replace them.

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #1298 on: July 09, 2013, 06:42:27 PM »
I figured it was a mere pipe dream. Heck, the reason AE was never updated when the servers were up was because the coding for it was a jumbled mess.
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

Pinnacle Blue

• Boss
  • Pinnacle Server is best server.
« Reply #1299 on: July 09, 2013, 07:19:51 PM »
In my excitement I forgot to do something very important, so here goes:  Thank you Codewalker and everyone who has worked on and is working on adding functionality to our previously dormant software.  You guys simply friggin' rock.  I just wish I'd saved more of my costumes!
Warshades don't take Alphas.  They give Alphas.