Author Topic: Old Boxed Sets  (Read 2431 times)

Dasher

• Minion
Old Boxed Sets
« on: August 13, 2013, 03:35:11 AM »
I'm sure other people have already gone over this, but...
I have been cleaning out my game room and I came across all the original boxes for CoH, CoV, CoH Deluxe, CoV Deluxe, etc., with discs and manuals and maps and all that.
For the folks who are working on a possible emulator, are any of these of any value? I know they are mostly just access codes for the servers, but would there be anything on them of any use to folks trying to revive the actual CoH games?
Don H.

Shenku

• Elite Boss
Re: Old Boxed Sets
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 06:15:22 AM »
Most likely they're not useful for reverse engineering the server since those disks pretty much only have older versions of the client on them, and any attempts to make private servers would be targeted at more recent versions of the client (I23 or I24).

That's not to say the disks are completely useless, there might be a need for them later, so don't throw them out just yet.

Besides, the box art is pretty and makes for a nice small physical souvenir for the game... I still have the boxes and disks for the CoH and CoV Collectors Editions as well, and have no intentions of getting rid of them, especially in light of what happened to the game...

Dasher

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 06:22:21 PM »
Okay, thanks for the input!
Yeah, this stuff all has way too much sentimental value for me to ditch any of it, but I wasn't sure if anybody working to reverse engineer might find any of it - even the graphics - useful.
No worries, thanks again!   :)
Dasher

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 01:27:39 AM »
I wasn't sure if anybody working to reverse engineer might find any of it - even the graphics - useful.

One thing they'd have to consider is that any graphics would likely be covered by copyright protection, making them unusable without permission. Taking inspiration from package design, layout, and contents, however, would be completely fair game.

In any case, I agree that it's nice to have physical mementos of CoH in any form.

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 01:00:37 PM »
Yesterday, my friend gave me his box for CoX Good vs. Evil Edition, since he'd stopped playing a while ago and knew how much it still meant to me. It choked me up a bit seeing the things inside, including a Pocked D VIP Pass, a map of Paragon City, and some other things.
There was also an advertisement for NCSoft "10 Years of Gaming" that had Tabula Rasa and Dungeon Runners on it. There was a trial code for Dungeon Runners that literally said: "Finally, a FREE MMOG that doesn't suck!" I don't know if those are NCSoft's words or Dungeon Runner's, but it still makes me sad.  :-\
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson