Author Topic: That ONE mission...  (Read 5260 times)

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
That ONE mission...
« on: August 05, 2013, 09:52:08 AM »
I loved...loved...loved the reactor missions for the respect (but not for the actual respect!).  my tanks did not need the stinking red bubble and my emps were built so I could spam aura and be fine.  I would jump on an invite no matter how many times I had run it on any toon.

PS:  Sorry if this is in another topic, but looking around made me feel all nostalgic.  :) :'(
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
Re: That ONE mission...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 10:28:14 AM »
Agreed, that one was a hoot.  My Fire/Kintroller was as snug as a bug as long as the baddies kept flowing.  Another fun one was the first mission in the ITF.  That and Vespillos Pass.. better known as Lag Mountian.
Stand up for what you beleive in - even if you are standing alone

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 05:14:13 PM »
(nevermind I had the wrong thread)
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 06:11:37 PM »
I really liked that mission, too.   And after it, figuring out where I could get to before my bubble ran out.  :)

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 06:30:05 PM »
The respec trial was one of my favorites. I loved to solo it with my brutes and blasters. My blaster had a very tough time with it before IOs, as did my brutes, primarily because of stamina being an issue.
Honestly, I was a lousy player without those endurance procs.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 06:43:01 PM »
looks like this got moved, so i'll restore my post.

I know other people didn't care for it, but I dearly loved The Shining Stars arc. Running around with twinshot and the gang #Hroob. Even if I was power leveling a toon through DFB, I'd stop at level nine so that I could go and run those three arcs. I loved that it was written in the best comic book tropes, but unlike Champions, it didn't go in for the kitsch look or feel. plus, it was a good way to introduce the praetorean story line without ramming it down your throat "buy this game!"; it was just "oh hey, if you'd like to know more about praetoreans, we have a whole expansion about them. if not, that's cool too, party on wayne, party on garth."
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Stormsurge

• Minion
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 08:22:32 PM »
The Shining Stars arc was pretty damn good. It was sort of an edutainment tutorial on how the games mechanics worked. The storyline itself was pretty fun (( even if there were too many Prea clockworks in it )).

My favorite Arc though had to be Hess TF. Oh yeah... one huge robot? The only thing that would have been cooler is if you had to fight the thing.

Ultraamann

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 08:42:33 PM »
The Shining Stars arc was pretty damn good. It was sort of an edutainment tutorial on how the games mechanics worked. The storyline itself was pretty fun (( even if there were too many Prea clockworks in it )).

My favorite Arc though had to be Hess TF. Oh yeah... one huge robot? The only thing that would have been cooler is if you had to fight the thing.

Agreed.  Hess was always a blast.  How long I waited and waited for the top of the volcano to open and the mega-mech to come out... sigh.  That would have been the greatest in-game event ever.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 08:46:31 PM »
I really liked the SSA1 mission where Ruluwade levitated the fleet, just looked quite cool and I had a fitting Ace Combat 5 song playing in the background (and overall I'd say the whole SSA1 storyline was my favorite arc).

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 09:44:47 PM »
Mark me down as a fan of the shining stars arc too!

Phaetan

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 04:03:35 AM »
I also enjoyed the Shining Stars arc.  The Hearts of Darkness were a bit of a letdown as the redside counterpart.

My favorite mission?  Perhaps the one I looked forward to the most was going for the "Army of Me" badge in the red clone arc.

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 04:20:39 AM »
Which mission/arc/trial/TF/activity was my favorite depended a lot on which character I was on...

I loved taking Palrah, my favorite tank, on ITFs. Mist in Moonlight, my human/dwarf Peacebringer, and Anima Sola, his human/nova counterpart, were always my go-to picks for the Underground iTrial. Keiranen the orbital archer was all about Hamidon raids. Karasu was built for Emping MSRs. Hanano the ninja/FF mastermind was a giant monster hunter. I loved doing almost everything with Nemissary, my dark defender.

My favorites for Kestrel, my only devoted role-playing toon, were in Dark Astoria... I always thought of those missions where she actually got to run around with Scir as sort-of a gift from the devs. It was Kes getting to do something in-game that she absolutely would have loved in-character. (And thanks to a few years of herding Cardinal, her perma-summoned Adept, I was used to working around and taking care of a fragile, unpredictable companion... so, it really was more "Oh yeah, this rules" than "Scirocco! Get back here and stop trying to agro the entire map, ya flying goofball!")
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 11:42:42 AM »

I always loved the frostfire mission.  Not so much for the story - but for the skateboard room.

Also loved one of the Carnie arcs where it introduced the Carnie warehouse - probably the creepiest, scariest map
they created.
--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

Steelclaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 01:29:14 PM »
Blue side, in early days my favorite mission arc was the entirety of the Faultline story from Temblor through Yin and Doc Delilah.  One, because it was comedy gold with Fusionette, Daddy-Yin, Arbiter Elvis and Captain Ego Trip.  Also because at low levels I LOVED fighting Lost.

In more recent times I also got a kick out of running the VIP arc where Malaise dies.

Red side, my absolute favorite was the Billie Heck arc in Port Oakes.  The reason this was my favorite was due to the fact that I never played it in my mind the way the dialog indicated I was supposed to.  In my head, my character wasn't putting down a mob rebellion or kidnapping a boss's daughter for someone else; they were cutting off mafia heads so as to take over the organization themselves. 

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 03:39:21 PM »
I have a love/hate relationship with Efficiency Expert Pither.

On one hand, he's an amazing concept for a character - a villainous efficiency expert who gives other villains tightly-timed missions.  It made me nostalgic for the Batman TAS version of Clock King.

On the other hand, I despise timed missions, especially when there's a badge at stake, and particularly when you've only got one shot at getting it (since it's not part of the Flashback system, not even Ouro can help you if you fail one.)  Still, I'm pretty sure I got Efficiency Expert on every single one of my toons that spent any time on Redside.  I made pancaked sure that no one, not even Pither, could question my skills at being ruthlessly efficient.

I found it interesting that most of his missions that counted for the badge had you kidnapping, subverting, beating down, or gaining intelligence upon people who have information about corruption within their own ranks.  Crey's 'Usurper Project' cloning formula, Fortunata Iverson's sandbagging of Arachnos projects for the Council, Diocletian and his suspicion of corruption within the FBSA, Longbow attempting to steal an Arachnos database, Weir and Grimm's double-dealing within Malta... Pither is either amazing at sniffing out crooked dealings within Arachnos and other factions, or... maybe he's not entirely on the level himself.  Either way would've made a great hook for a second story arc, aside from the lame and annoying (ugh, Shadow Shard mishes...) Olivia Darque arc that you get.

Ah, what could've been.

damerell

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 03:58:59 PM »
I loved...loved...loved the reactor missions for the respect (but not for the actual respect!).  my tanks did not need the stinking red bubble and my emps were built so I could spam aura and be fine.  I would jump on an invite no matter how many times I had run it on any toon.

It was a bit of a bear in the early days, when the Sky Raiders or whoever would come in +2 for no reason... and then you might be teamed with Mr "Invincible is just a title, right?". Also, back then, freespecs were in very short supply, so a lot more of the team would have genuinely gimped builds, especially for the Sky Raider respec.

I still remember the early Clockwork mission where all the mobs burst out "I hate $CHARACTER!".

adarict

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 05:08:56 PM »
I can't think of any particular story that I liked more than others.  It really depended on my mood.  On the other hand, I can't think of ANY of the stories that I flat out didn't like.  I will say that I was never fond of any of the Cimerora stuff.  I didn't actively dislike it, but I never went out of my way to DO them.

I think the only one that stands out to me that I really enjoyed was the Sara Moore one in the Shard.  Something about that just was so much fun.  Part of it was just the Shard itself.  I always loved it. 

To be honest, I never did many TFs.  Many times, I just didn't have the uninterrupted time to put into them.  I Absolutely HATED speed runs of any TF.  I did a few of them and hated every minute of them, until I finally decided I would not accept or would drop from any TF that became a speed run.  Also, I started right before I3, and played with very few breaks right up until the shutdown, and in all that time, I have never done a Respec trial on any character.  My wife had done the first Respec trial a ton of times in the early days, back when it was common to fail the trial.  Once she succeeded and got her character respec'ed, she never ran it again either.  Originally, I didn't do it because after seeing all the trouble my wife had with getting a team that could complete it, I didn't want to mess with it.  Then I got a free respec for something, probably after one of the issues were released, and didn't need the trial.  Afterwards, I always had plenty of free respecs, until the vet rewards came around, and then definitely didn't need to do the trial to get a respec.

I feel kind of bad that I never got around to running it, just to have done it.  I mean, I WATCHED it numerous times while my wife had been running it, but that isn't the same as doing it yourself.

Metal Mountain

• Minion
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 12:24:20 AM »
I would love to do hunt missions in Hollows again with nothing but sprint  if I had a chance........

Oh and the Cape mission was my most unforgetable mission.  The memorial site was well done and made its impact.
If a jerk hacker is found, we reverse hack-jerk. -Pohsyb

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 04:14:26 AM »
YEah, the cape mission was not bad, but I think what ruined it for me was all that hauling ass all over the game. even with long range tp or after burner you were still doing  lot of seeing the secenary on autopilot. if you hadnt got a high end travel power then you might be picking your way through some seriously dangerous territory for about twenty minutes at a time.
-Lex Luthor

Yoru-hime

• Minion
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 04:33:13 PM »
One mission? Ooh, that's tough. There were a LOT of good missions developed, especially towards the end.

The last DA Incarnate mission was very well done. It had a great epic feel.
The Incarnate mission having you assault Lag Hill (especially if you're doing it alone and without NPC support).
Bane Spider Ruben and Brother Hammond both hit the "redside" feel that I'd been wanting for years right on the head.
The mental hospital mission in the Rescue Statesman Positron arc gave me the creeps to no end.

But if I had to pick ONE mission, I'd say the finale of the Rikti War Zone arc.