Author Topic: PS1/2/3 Light gun games question  (Read 24750 times)

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
PS1/2/3 Light gun games question
« on: August 01, 2013, 11:18:47 PM »
So, I'm a bit nostalgic. I like all my old PS2 and even PS1 games. I recently (finally) purchased a PS3 making sure to get the 60G so I can continue to play all my favorites. As such, I am slowly amassing games and have run into a possible problem when concerning Time Crisis games.

Things I know:
The GunCon 1 works with the more games than the other two combined and will work with the PS1 and 2.
The GunCon 2 does not work with the PS1.
The GunCon 3 does not work with anything... Save for a couple games and the PS3.
The GunCon 1 and 2 only with old tube TVs due the way they work. Which means no DLP, LCD, Plasma, or Projection.

Things I don't know/Questions
Can the GunCon 2 be used in the PS3? Either directly or with an adaptor?
Can the GunCon 2 be used to play PS1 games if played in the PS2?
Can PS1 gun games be played in a backwards compatible PS3? (Supposing that the correct gun will work in the unit.)
Can PS2 gun games be played in a backwards compatible PS3?

If I had to guess, I'd guess that I'm screwed and that I have to get a PS2 to play all my old Time Crisis games (once I get them), but I'm hoping there is some way to play them with my PS3 60G. Essentially, it would be nice if I could get the GunCon 2, make it work in my PS3, and play all the old PS1 and PS2 Time Crisis games, but I'm just not sure that's gonna happen.

If anyone has some information on all this, let me know.
Blue Pulsar - 50 nrg/kin def - first toon - Liberty
Bane of Lanur - 52 nec/dark MM - Main vill - Liberty
Destan H. - 53 SS/FA brute - Farm/PvP hybrid - Freedom
Destan's Fury - 53 StJ/Regen brute - PvPer - Freedom
Destan's Shadow Gang - 53 Thug/Dark MM - PvPer - Freedom

therain93

• Elite Boss
Re: PS1/2/3 Light gun games question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 01:24:55 AM »
I don't have any of your answers, but a good resource to ask is the community at gametz.com.
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 08:20:46 PM »
I'm not 100% sure, as I've never actually owned a PS3 myself, but for the backwards compatibility question, I believe the backwards compatibility was limited only to PS2 games, not PS1. I could be mistaken though, since as I said, I've never owned one... (Never had much interest in the system or its games...)

As for your other questions, I'm really not sure, but for the large part because of how much technology has changed over the last two decades, you're probably going to need one of the older TVs/Game systems to be able to play them properly.

I'm not sure on prices for old PS1s and PS2s as I've seen wide price discrepancies depending on where you look, but the old tube TVs are actually dirt cheap now-a-days, although I didn't know that the older light guns didn't work with the newer TVs... Definitely something I hadn't thought about, probably because I havn't played a light gun game since Duck Hunt on the original Nintendo Entertainment System when I was 5...

But, if that is the case, I know we sell old TVs at the Goodwill I work at for anywhere from $0.99 to $4.99 (depending on how big it is, condition, how old, exc.) and that's pretty much the company standard for pricing them at all locations, and we're always getting more TVs in than we actually sell, so it shouldn't be hard to find a cheap TV to use with the older systems if you're forced to go that route and don't mind a used TV, assuming you have the room for the second TV somewhere... Just thought I'd throw that out there...

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 03:58:44 AM »
I'm not 100% sure, as I've never actually owned a PS3 myself, but for the backwards compatibility question, I believe the backwards compatibility was limited only to PS2 games, not PS1. I could be mistaken though, since as I said, I've never owned one... (Never had much interest in the system or its games...)

Actually, all Playstation consoles will play most Playstation 1 games. The only machines that are not fully backwards compatible are the Playstation 3s other than the 60g. The 80g version will play some PS2 games, but not all due to the fact that the 60g basically have a PS2 built in, and the 80g uses software to emulate a PS2. No other models will play PS2 games.

However, all PS2s and PS3s play PS1 games.

In a move that is rather NCSoft-esque, Sony originally planned for the PS3 to be backwards compatible, but when the system first game out, the PS3 games were still competing with the PS2 ones. So, in order to make their game developers happy and to try to force the players to move on, they removed the backwards compatibility.  To their surprise, this did not alieve the situation, but actually made the sale of PS2s go back up.

What they didn't realize that the PS2 was still an extremely viable system and that it would be years before developers made games that could actually show a real difference between the two systems. But, even now the 2 is still a great system and, if companies were allowed to, could still make games for the system that could compete in today's market.

That beings said, finding a working system from the store or ebay will still cost you a good 60 bucks, and the games are still usually around 5 dollars used. Of course there are the expensive titles like the Fatal Frame series which, depending on the condition, can cost you nearly 100+ bucks for the first three games. 200+ if their not opened.

As for your other questions, I'm really not sure, but for the large part because of how much technology has changed over the last two decades, you're probably going to need one of the older TVs/Game systems to be able to play them properly.

I've resigned myself to that fact, but it doesn't bother me. Cathode tube TVs are fairly cheap.

I'm not sure on prices for old PS1s and PS2s as I've seen wide price discrepancies depending on where you look...

You can find the PS1 for just about any price. In your local Salvation Army or Goodwill store for 15 bucks, from a friend for 5, or for $20 and up from electronics stores and pawn shops. The things never died and were incredible machines for the day. They will likely be around forever. I found a really nice deal on eBay for two PS1 consoles, 5 regular Sony controllers, 3 different light guns, a fishing game controller, a hand full of memory cards, and 9 games. All for under $100.

I didn't know that the older light guns didn't work with the newer TVs... Definitely something I hadn't thought about, probably because I havn't played a light gun game since Duck Hunt on the original Nintendo Entertainment System when I was 5...

You're about my age then. You may find this interesting. The Zapper (old NES gun) was fairly simple in how it worked. When you pulled the trigger, it made the screen go black for a frame, then the targets would turn each turn white for a frame, one after the other, and then the normal screen would come back. The gun would tell the system weather or not it hit a target and when the target showed up, that way the system would know which target you were pointing at. The whole process was around a second long. Pretty impressive for the 70s and 80s. In fact, the technology is as old as 1969, when they came out with the light pen.

The "Super Scope," Nintendo's second gun, worked like the guns in the arcades still do. Pulling the trigger still makes the screen flash, but this time it uses precise timing of the electron beam and how fast it travels through all the little pixels in the screen, one by one. The gun sees exactly when the beam passes through the pixel at which you are aiming and tells the system. It's impressively accurate.

However, since DLPs, LCDs, and plasmas don't use cathode rays and phosphor pixels, the old guns don't work, and you need to buy the newer guns which require to place sensing strips on either side of your screen.

If there is a way to get the GunCon 2 (the Namco gun for the PS2) to work with the PS3, I'll be good to go after buying a cheap used TV. My luck, though, I may simply have to buy another PS2.

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 11:02:12 PM »
So, if anyone else was curious, I got my answer today. I ordered Time Crisis 2 and it came in today along with a pair of GunCon IIs (and Time Crisis 3, disk only.) The game worked on my 60G PS3, though I was a little worried when I saw that the disk was purple, but lucked out. I know there are a few early PS2 games that don't work on any PS3. Now, the GunCon II uses USB connections as it was one of the few peripherals that used the USB ports on the PS2. I have my PS3 plugged into a projector using HDMI at the moment, so I knew that there was no way the guns were going to function fully, but I plugged them in to see if they were even going to do anything.

I was disappointed at first because they didn't seem to do anything, but once the game made it to the menu, pulling the trigger made a gunshot sound and cause the screen to flash just like it should. So, I'm pretty stoked. I got a guy who's gonna sell me a 36" Sony Trinitron CRT TV for real cheap. And then... I'll be good to go.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 11:15:56 PM »
The recommendation I had from the guy at the used game store, when I was buying my older boy a PS2 of his own for Christmas (my original died in a way that was more economical just to replace it), was to buy a PS2 for your PS2 games. The miniature PS2 in yours is actually a strain on the system, even when you're not using it. He used to see them come in for repairs far more often than the other models, until attrition finally weeded the bulk of them out. I forget his full explanation or what the failure was, but, if I ever get around to a PS3, I won't dig too far for one of those.

Good luck on the light guns, though.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Blue Pulsar

• Boss
  • Epic Mediocrity
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 01:08:55 AM »
The recommendation I had from the guy at the used game store, when I was buying my older boy a PS2 of his own for Christmas (my original died in a way that was more economical just to replace it), was to buy a PS2 for your PS2 games. The miniature PS2 in yours is actually a strain on the system, even when you're not using it. He used to see them come in for repairs far more often than the other models, until attrition finally weeded the bulk of them out. I forget his full explanation or what the failure was, but, if I ever get around to a PS3, I won't dig too far for one of those.

I did a lot of research on PS3s before I bought one. What this guy told you is not entirely correct. There is a lot more to it. First of all, the 60G was a limited run as they were quickly making the HDs bigger and making the units smaller. And many things added up to it's lack of longevity.

First of all, it has quite a bit more features including multiple SD card and flash drive readers, 4 USB ports rather than two, built in Wi-Fi, and of course, a miniature PS2. The fact that the model was of the earliest design and not as refined as the later models is more of an issue as to why they are more temperamental.

Logically, seeing as how the PS2 was and is one of the most viable systems ever, and it was continually being upgraded, they knew how to make one well. Fitting the software and hardware into the first few PS3s was probably the easiest thing they did and is not likely to be the main culprit in crashing a unit.

However, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, in an NCSoft-esque move, they had trouble getting the PS3 games to move even though they had sold a significant number of PS3 units. This was due in part to the fact that each PS3 game was Blue-ray (the Blue-ray company gets royalties for Blue-ray disks) and that, well... they were for a new system, so they were cashy. But the funny part is almost every single game they made was also made for the PS2. Why? Because the PS2 was ahead of its time and was still a viable unit. (Hell, it was only discontinued earlier this year over 6 years after the PS3 release, and games are still being made for it.) Anyway, in order for the new PS3 to thrive, they started to pull back the reigns on the PS2 and began to cut production of the games and units. Not to mention removing the PS2 from inside the PS3.

I am curious as to where you went. I have been to the DiskReplay in the Cities and it's pretty decent, but the guy there that was supposed to be "the smartest guy" about PlayStations was clueless as to the question I asked him which was the one I posed here about light guns and PS3s. Another customer had to speak up when the guy gave me the "Hmm... I don't know." He told me that he was fairly sure it would work. If you went to a GameStop, I can tell you that, at least in the Midwest, and especially western Illinois, the area is XBoxville.  They also push new stuff way harder than used or old stuff. I've had guys get rather condescending with me back when I was looking for a fat PS2.

Good luck on the light guns, though.

Thanks, I'm sure I'm gonna have a blast. It's nice that I got two guns since the games are two player. :D

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 01:35:34 PM »
I generally go to Video Games Etc. They've been around since the NES/SNES days, and they seem to be more casual/friendly. I browse at Disk Replay, but I don't talk to them if I can help it. :)

You raise an interesting point with your light gun problem, though. I tend to keep/collect old hardware, since I still have the majority of the disks, including on floppy (3 1/2" thankfully), for almost all of the games that I've had for PC over the years. I have an old NES with a bad cartridge connector that I've been meaning to get around to fixing, but the light gun has been a minor sticking point: I haven't been in a hurry because I don't have a CRT TV, anymore. My 12 year old is into the old console games, even using birthday money, one year, to buy a vintage Sega Genesis. I'm going to have to give this thread a reread and dig out that old NES...
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."