Author Topic: You're gonna wear it out!  (Read 9448 times)

Stone Daemon

• Lieutenant
Re: You're gonna wear it out!
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2013, 06:00:27 PM »
I had many tanks, scrappers, V/HEATs, blasters, and controllers. Everything else, I tried to various degrees, and made sure to get at least one 50 in each. Except corrupters. I could never really get into corrupters.

CC SK TT

• Underling
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2013, 07:55:51 AM »
It's funny to see how many people played tanks like me, as a literal main battle tank; big, slow, heavily armed and heavily armored. It's even more funny to see people going into the other threads on the site and kvetching how other games treat tankers as trotted up scrappers rather than as actual tanks.

Keep up the good discussions!

I always hated how they agro capped tanks - nothing worse than being the tank on a team and having a very agro oriented build (ice/ice with 6 slotted purpled taunt) and then seeing......people running away from me for the softies.

As great as that tank was, I think my best team character was probably a arrow/arrow defender.  Enemies just seemed to melt away and be scenic detours on a map with the mass of debuffing going on.

damerell

• Underling
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2013, 01:44:29 PM »
I still think the best blapper build I ever managed to make was actually my spines/regen scrapper, who at one point had more ranged attacks than melee. But while still a technically accurate use of mashing the two AT names together, I don't think that's the kind of blapper you're talking about. :p

Indeed not. Defences? I don't hold with such decadent practices.

Ellscry

• Minion
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2013, 03:23:50 PM »

Kyuuen

• Minion
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2013, 03:08:20 PM »
Early on in the game, I noticed a strong aversion towards Defenders - especially among the powerlevelers and number crunchers. During the first two issues, watching from Gemini Park, I hardly noticed any high-level Defenders.

I saw one, I barely remember that it was a strong male character model, wearing mostly blue. I don't remember his name but I felt inspired when I saw him there. A level 50 defender. Someone who had stuck it out despite everyone saying that this was the worst AT in the game. Between that guy and Doctor Forkenshpoon, a high level Rad/Rad Defender and talented roleplayer - I was eventually inspired to reroll my AR/Dev Blaster main (Belle Bonne), into a TA / Sonic Defender (Belle Barium).

Trick Arrow Belle was very, very weak at first - barely able to take down LTs, and getting her head handed to her during the first Fight Night At the Golden Giza PVP event by some villain named 'King Chicken'. Flash Arrow wasn't cutting it.

Then invention sets came out and things got better.

Then I got Oil Slick Arrow, and things got MUCH better.

I started pouring influence into my first batch of high-cost invention sets, and the recharge and accuracy bonuses started becoming a boon to my little Defender's performance.

It got to the point where I was starting off every group with a mass hold, then creating a chain that had Oil Slick Arrow, Disruptor Arrow, and Acid Arrow, followed by either a lowly [Taser Dart] 'temp power' to ignite the slick, or a Teleport-then-Dreadful Wail* for a nice little double-nuke to thin the group out.

Once the herd was thinned down, a quick recharging combination of Glue / Ice / Oil Slick arrows could keep one or two bosses busy while I chipped away at them with low level sonic blast powers.

I spent most of the life of the game trying to 'max out' Belle.

I wanted to become an insanely useful debuff-heavy TA/Sonic Defender, and one of the strongest out there.

*http://kyuuen.deviantart.com/art/Defender-s-Nuke-Art-by-DrunkFu-386373562

damerell

• Underling
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2013, 06:41:42 AM »
Early on in the game, I noticed a strong aversion towards Defenders - especially among the powerlevelers and number crunchers. During the first two issues, watching from Gemini Park, I hardly noticed any high-level Defenders.

In the EU, we came in at issue 3, largely missing the "City of Blasters" street sweeping in Perez. I would say by then we had the opposite problem; no team would budge an inch without a "healer".

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2013, 07:20:07 AM »

I saw one, I barely remember that it was a strong male character model, wearing mostly blue. I don't remember his name but I felt inspired when I saw him there. A level 50 defender. Someone who had stuck it out despite everyone saying that this was the worst AT in the game.

It wasn't nearly that early, but I had a level-50 defender on Protector: a Storm/Electrical named Super Weathergirl. I mostly soloed her to 50, but I especially enjoyed teaming her for Trick or Treating. Freezing Rain was very handy to put outside a door before clicking it, and it was always highly entertaining.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Nealix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2013, 08:07:54 AM »
I loved blasters and scrappers the most.  Or the equivalent villain types.  After that I also liked controllers/dominators and masterminds.  Tanks were sometimes fun and defenders had their place as well.  The only ones I didn't really like were the VEATS and HEATS.

æhæd

• Underling
  • Oh! Really?
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2013, 05:01:58 PM »
I was always a fan of ranged combat. My internet connection and hardware were severe limitations for a long time, such that getting into melee range was a serious chore without taunt. Controlling was fun on my main, anything at all was possible - holds, confuses, sleeps, tanking, herding, stalking to the end of the mission - those last few thanks to personal force field, dicey but ultra cool if it worked ("aggro-stalk").

My favorite play style at the end was a ranged Widow. With just two attacks firing darts from one or both hands, I got every IO I could to reduce recharge to the point they would chain, then rained prickly heck on everything. Even more fun than my Huntsman.

MaHaBone

• Minion
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2013, 01:15:58 AM »
Controllers, by a long mile.  I played a lot of PuGs, and when I played a blaster or scrapper, I had good PuGs and I had bad PuGs.  But when I played a Controller, I ALWAYS had a good team.  Good support can turn a pack of n00bs and knuckleheads into GODS.

Shinobu

• Minion
  • aka Shinobu
    • Shinobu's City of Heroes Journal
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2013, 05:20:00 AM »
Brutes and scrappers mostly.  Liked my widow a lot too... which I played like a scrapper.  ^_^

All my favorites were heavily IO'd for some sort of softcapped defense and maximum damage, so I could wade in against overwhelming odds and go to town.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYjb2fuE3Lk

Clave Dark 5

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2013, 05:31:03 PM »
"What you say is rather profound, and probably erroneous." - Joseph Conrad

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2013, 07:36:16 PM »
I had a tendency to create lost of Blasters, Tanks, and Scrappers.

My first 50 was a Fire-dedicated Blaster.
My next was a Broadsword/Regen Scrapper.
After that, a Willpower/EM Tank.
Then an Electricity/Regen Scrapper.
And last, a Street-Justice/Invl Brute.

I had another blaster at about level 47 that was an energy-blaster, another tank at about level 45 who was Invul/SS, and a level 40 Ill/Rad controller.

So yeah, I generally enjoyed playing archetypes that could solo reliably moreso than "support" types that were more team-oriented.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2013, 02:23:25 AM »
mmm......I tried a few types, never got the hang of being a controller.
I enjoyed being an empath Healer and played that the majority of my tenure.

It was being the designated driver, watching everyone battle from the sidelines.
Funny at times.

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2013, 07:18:46 AM »
I didn't favor an AT. Knockdown (NOT knockback) was my thing. Ice Patch, Air Superiority, Stomp - I just loved to watch em bounce while I smacked em around! And boy could those Rikti Monkeys Bounce! My fave was my tank though, Headbanger's Brawl (Superstrength/Invuln).
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men