Author Topic: You're gonna wear it out!  (Read 9457 times)

Ashen Fury

• Boss
Re: You're gonna wear it out!
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 03:15:14 AM »
My 3 main loves were tankers, scrappers and defenders, but scrapper definitely takes the win overall. Something about wading into the next room while the rest of the team is back there and soloing everything so that they walk into a room of corpses and me in the middle /e drink ing just always felt so...cool.
Permanently Scrapperlocked.

Love CoH music? Want EVERY SINGLE FILE?
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7192.0.html

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 09:38:53 AM »
1st 3 level 50s were my emp defenders (though I made 6). 

I followed up with 5 tanks to 50 (2 wp/whatever a fire/fire-The money maker  ;) a ice/electric finally my stone/stone). 

I then worked on several (4 or so) trollers and settled on rad/ill for the next 50.
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 05:07:03 PM »
It's funny to see how many people played tanks like me, as a literal main battle tank; big, slow, heavily armed and heavily armored. It's even more funny to see people going into the other threads on the site and kvetching how other games treat tankers as trotted up scrappers rather than as actual tanks.

Keep up the good discussions!
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 05:43:11 PM »
Scrappers were by far my most numerous AT. My Katana/Willpower scrapper was insanely kitted out in comparison to my other alts, loved to dive into crazy situations with him. My least favourite AT was most villain side stuff.

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2013, 08:49:06 PM »
My main was a Fire/kin/Fire Troller.  I mained her for the better part of 4 years.  I only had two other toons I played on seriously, a Psy/Psy/Mind Dom and a Kin/Fire/Fire Scrapper.  The momentum the Kinetics brought to the fight, I even managed to turn the Controller's Heal into a damage dealing ability (when it proc'd (tm))...

gosh i friggin miss those toons... *sniffle*

Stand up for what you beleive in - even if you are standing alone

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2013, 09:15:28 PM »
Brutes and Masterminds, but I think I played more Brutes.  I definitely had more high-level Brutes, an Electric/Invuln and Energy/Energy at 50, a Staff/Dark and SS/WP in the high 30s, and a 20-something Elec/Elec that I was working on.  In contrast, I only had one L50 Bots/Storm Mastermind, one Thugs/Traps in the high 30s, and the rest - Mercs/Dark, Ninja/TA, and Necro/Pain - were languishing at low levels.  The Necro/Pain didn't get out of the single digits, and I don't think the Ninja/TA did, either.

Dominators were catching up, though, with two - Grav/Elec and Earth/Ice - at 50 (I got the Earth/Ice from 1 to 50 after the announcement was made), a Mind/Psi in the teens or possibly low 20s, and an Elec/Elec in the low teens.

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2013, 09:47:26 PM »
For me I think it was a toss up between controllers and defenders... Both AT's really just made me feel like I had a grab bag of tools for a variety of situations in most cases. I never managed to level a Blaster very high on live precisely because I felt like my secondary just didn't do much to help me in most cases. Though I was eager to do a fire/martial combat blaster. Playing THAT on test made me feel like my secondary was worth a damn on a blaster!

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, 01:30:39 AM »
My playstyle was an evolution over time.  I've always said "If I'm close enough to touch the enemy, then they're close enough to touch me - and that's too close!"  So I started out playing Blasters, only occasionally playing a Scrapper or Stalker.

I moved onto Dominators, Defenders and Corruptors as I increasingly recognized enemy control/debuffing as a worthwhile and necessary strategy in addition to ranged attack.

But by the end I had transitioned almost exclusively to Controllers.  I left most damage dealing to other classes, and concentrated on near pure control, preferring holds and slows - things that would lock down the enemy outright or at least severely curtail any actions on their part.  By the end I was playing an Illusion/Time Controller, and to this day I swear that was pretty near to if not outright the best combination for such a play style/goal.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2013, 01:53:07 AM »
"If I'm close enough to touch the enemy, then they're close enough to touch me - and that's too close!"
Amusing considering that as both a tank and as a stalker, I took the exact opposite approach. "If I'm close enough to touch them, they're close enough to touch me, so I'll touch them first, REALLY REALLY HARD" whether it was tanking in and pounding them into the ground with a hammer or an axe, or stealth stalking up and using dual wield claws to string together a combo on their asses and freezing their friends in place in fear.

Oh don't get me wrong, I dearly enjoyed my flying AR blaster's ability to reach out and touch someone from across the room, but my bread and butter was up close and personal :D
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2013, 02:06:34 AM »
Well, it just goes to show the variance of playstyles.   :)

When I was playing a Blaster, I made range a serious priority - adding ranges to my attack powers to try to hit minimum 108' Range, if not higher with Cardiac Core Paragon, and 50+5 Range Enhancements.

My motto:  "Hit them from the next ZIP Code over."

I had actually cranked range up so high on a few characters that I could snipe some enemies down to over half their hit points at ultra-long range, which would naturally start them running towards me.  But less than halfway there, they'd get bored chasing me, and start wandering back!  Which is when I'd hit them again and finish them off.  Always hilarious.

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2013, 03:54:47 AM »
It's funny to see how many people played tanks like me, as a literal main battle tank; big, slow, heavily armed and heavily armored. It's even more funny to see people going into the other threads on the site and kvetching how other games treat tankers as trotted up scrappers rather than as actual tanks.

Keep up the good discussions!

It's true, alas... I have a Templar in Aion and a Sword/Chaos tank in Secret World and neither of them are half the tank my favorite WP/DB was in City. :( It's just... sad.
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2013, 04:55:50 AM »
Well, it just goes to show the variance of playstyles.   :)

When I was playing a Blaster, I made range a serious priority - adding ranges to my attack powers to try to hit minimum 108' Range, if not higher with Cardiac Core Paragon, and 50+5 Range Enhancements.

My motto:  "Hit them from the next ZIP Code over."

I had actually cranked range up so high on a few characters that I could snipe some enemies down to over half their hit points at ultra-long range, which would naturally start them running towards me.  But less than halfway there, they'd get bored chasing me, and start wandering back!  Which is when I'd hit them again and finish them off.  Always hilarious.

Wasn't my character, but I remember seeing a fire/energy blaster once who with a combination of range enhancements and Boost Range actually needed a spotter. Because she could hit things from further away than the game would draw.

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2013, 11:16:42 AM »
Spines/regen stalker and spines/energy stalker.....pvp peeps hated spirit shark (needed more cowbell, uh I mean range), but hey I built what the devs gave me  ;D

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2013, 03:41:14 PM »
I studied carefully the differing power sets. I then decided to make a truly ranged blaster.

I made Carillion a Sonic/Ice blaster. Sonic has sleep, knockback and cones for damage. Ice had all the tools to slow, knockdown and sleep my foes. With overlapping sleeps I could even sleep bosses. This was my favorite character with a completely thought out build. I could tank most AV's, team easily and solo at +4 x 8.

This was in my eyes the ultimate Blaster build. My first character was a fire/fire blaster and I made every single type of blaster you could. Carillion was the culmination of 8+ years experience and a carefully planned attack sequence. I took her to over 30 before I was defeated and at 50+3 I still didn't have a debt badge. She was my goto character if we needed something to make a team win with certainty.

I once tanked a fully charged Recluse in the Statesman TF for 30 seconds while the tank was rezzing. I pulled him off the team and they were astounded I lasted so long......I was as well - expecting to drop quickly. Once I was dropped and the tank took over again - I stayed with him and we were able to finish him off quickly.

damerell

• Underling
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2013, 03:53:37 PM »
Blapper, all the way. Definitely not 'optimal', but damned if I didn't enjoy myself. I made sure I didn't hold back the team, of course.

En/en blapper, too; single-target (which is a good way to be a useful team member; aggro one thing at once and have it be a thing you're confident you can beat to a pulp... teamed with a K defender, why yes, that includes Freakshow bosses) - and preferably at a level before blaster nukes render beating individuals down largely irrelevant.

I was a bit sorry to see in the upcoming patch notes that Power Burst and the other-set equivalents were having their range increased.

crayehal

• Minion
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2013, 08:38:45 PM »
back in the day, i would play on three accounts. my favorite was no doubt the robotics mastermind
MMs are handy for multiboxing.  With 4 accounts, I did redside SFs by myself just for fun.  I used 2 MMs:  bots/traps and demon/therm.  The other 2 were a elec/shield brute and a fire/kin corr. 
I tried almost all the ATs, but the one I created on every server is my elec/shield brute.  A kin corr was not far behind. 

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2013, 09:16:36 PM »
I had 3 level 50 fire/fire/fire brutes. Along with a fire/fire/fire scrapper and tank at 50. But I loved every AT and powerset. CoH was so much fun and I miss it so much.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2013, 10:18:43 PM »
I was a tank at heart, around 15 50 tanks with scrappers just behind and quite a few brutes.

Megajoule

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2013, 08:29:11 AM »
Defenders.  Three out of eighteen, including my first main.  I got to buff people and shoot bad guys.
also, Brutes.  I had two tanks, two scrappers, and four brutes.  Better damage than pure tanks, and scrapperlock coded right in.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2013, 01:57:47 PM »
En/en blapper, too; single-target (which is a good way to be a useful team member; aggro one thing at once and have it be a thing you're confident you can beat to a pulp... teamed with a K defender, why yes, that includes Freakshow bosses) - and preferably at a level before blaster nukes render beating individuals down largely irrelevant.

I was a bit sorry to see in the upcoming patch notes that Power Burst and the other-set equivalents were having their range increased.

I still think the best blapper build I ever managed to make was actually my spines/regen scrapper, who at one point had more ranged attacks than melee. But while still a technically accurate use of mashing the two AT names together, I don't think that's the kind of blapper you're talking about. :p