Author Topic: If you've not been playing lately  (Read 6187 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
If you've not been playing lately
« on: July 12, 2013, 02:41:17 PM »
Heard last night in game that the reason MC was crashing recently was due to emote spamming by a single dead player in MC.

Emotes are disabled until they figure out what to do.

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: If you've not been playing lately
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 02:47:13 PM »
I haven't seen a lot in the way of details, but what I have seen didn't mention a "dead" player. There have been grumblings about players being banned, possibly permanently, but I haven't seen anything to substantiate that. Is it "dead," or dead, do you know?
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 04:01:30 PM »
All I have to say is What? :o
Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 04:31:50 PM »
Someone found a way to lag the server out and make it crash by stringing together some emotes on a script and mashing it while KO'd. We don't know any more.
Spess

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 04:31:55 PM »
Pfft.

Well, they've disabled emotes and randomly banned people.
The emotes are "temporarily" disabled.
Probably the same way "taxes" are temporary.

I'm about *THIS* close to just packing it in and shuttering my CO account.

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 07:27:17 PM »
Makes sense to me. I mean, if one game's emotes are lagging our three game server, we should totally just cut out those pesky game mechanics until both of our programmers can figure it out.

You know, cuz it can't be the over taxed server or several patches we shoved in there in the last 4 months.

:roll:
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 09:35:42 PM »
That's been bugging me. Servers are "cheap." Why do they have all three games running on one physical machine?
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 10:17:19 PM »
Is it really one machine or one "farm"? Either way. Each game deserves it's own servers, be it one or a several dozen.
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 10:25:16 PM »
If nothing else good comes out of this at least it is now fairly undeniable that they are having issues and something needs to be done. Felt like I was shouting into the wind when trying to get some help when my connection problems started. Now everyone is shouting.

I've had some pretty good connects lately. And some weird things, and some disconnects... but lately it at least feels like something behind the scenes is being done,

When's that new crew supposed to get started, anyway? Flying Monkeys or Labs or something like this. Seems like getting connectivity sorted would be on top of their list. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 10:47:32 PM »
When's that new crew supposed to get started, anyway? Flying Monkeys or Labs or something like this. Seems like getting connectivity sorted would be on top of their list. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

I've heard both that they've already started working on the game and haven't said anything to anyone and that they've only just opened and really haven't gotten started on anything.  Truth be told, they've really only just been announced - we don't even know if they've been fully set up as an operating studio because they haven't said anything.

I'd say we're currently in hurry up and wait mode.  The recent release was prolly done by someone at Cryptic proper using what was on the PTS.  But... even that's a guess at this point.
Stand up for what you beleive in - even if you are standing alone

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 11:07:44 PM »
I will say the last few times I've logged was not awful. No DC's, but then again I was not playing "hard". Mostly flitting around chatting and going to the store and such.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 11:14:52 PM »
Now is it actually like 1 uno, solo server? Or more like a server system which consist of a bundle of servers like EQ set up where each named server (about 20 or so) with each named server actually a bundle of 40 which in actuality EQ runs on about 800-1000 or so actual servers.

Plus isnt it the bandwidth that actually cost the most?

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 11:25:38 PM »
I don't think it's physically (or would that be virtually) possible to run 3 MMORPG's off of a single server. Even a huuuuge one would stall out and fry. It is surely a cluster of servers. I would just hope it is a cluster of servers each. And no sharing. Bandwidth brings up the catch. They are most likely in the same physical space with the same connections to the outside world. COH ran great with older gear because they were separate from any other projects and only suffered when absolute throngs of people were online like in the case of AP33 and Sunset.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 12:11:22 AM »
Look over at some of the threads in the Plan Z discussions. The way Cryptic has the client doing most of the work, plus PWE handling authentication, one box running virtual servers can handle one fine. I'm pretty sure someone "in the know" (basically, i can't remember if it was actually someone at Paragon) said that CoH was actually running on a single physical box with virtualized Windows servers for its various server functions.

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 03:35:26 AM »
That's crazy when you can rent space on server farms. Of course, you don't have physical control of your servers then, but the farms are should be redundantly backed up. :roll:

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 03:44:21 AM »
I'm pretty sure someone "in the know" (basically, i can't remember if it was actually someone at Paragon) said that CoH was actually running on a single physical box with virtualized Windows servers for its various server functions.

Not even close. Available evidence suggests COH ran on a farm of about 50 physical servers just for the maps, and a virtual cluster (think 10-15 servers that can migrate virtual machines between them as needed for load) for the global stuff. Not sure about databases, but I'd wager those were physical as well.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 04:20:11 AM »
It's hit and miss for me when it comes to a good connection lately. Tonight, it's lag spikes again but for the first time they are generally under 1k. Generally under 500ms even. Still sucks but those long 1k+ spikes are not fun at all.

Hey for what it's worth I didn't mean to make fun of Flying Labs or their name. Looked kinda rude when reading that quote. I just never can remember their name.. Flying Monkeys always springs to mind for some reason.. From what I read when scouting new to me online games to play awhile back - Flying Labs did good stuff for the online version of beloved Pirates!. So, they can't be all bad.

Some Faves:

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 04:30:50 AM »
Hey now. Flying Monkeys would be a great name for a game studio.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2013, 08:34:37 PM »
I ended up playing again a bit due to feeling starved for RP and missing Argent Girl.

A dev posted they already have a fix ready but want to give it more testing, but the emote issue does show just how miserably CO is maintained. I think they've had more temporary and removed content than they have content. With pretty much the only reason i came back being for rp and not even /em working I admit it does try my patience somewhat.

That and the constant random disconnects that send me rubberbanding back to where I was 10-15 minutes ago.

It'd be really nice if the new developers actually do something besides more lockboxes. Releasing a new bit of content named Fatal Err0r seems a bad idea given the game. A friend of mine joked the 0 is soley so it'll come up in google searches before all of the posts relating to fatal errors in the game itself. Hard not to agree.
Woo! - Argent Girl

blackjak

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2013, 09:49:31 PM »
Welp....thought I would try out STO....got through the tutorial and was running around the starbase and guess what....

DC.....DC......DC......DC.....DC.....DC.....DC....DC....DC....DC....DC....DC....DC....DC....DC....DC....DC....DC....DC

I would say that the emote problem was a non-problem unless they are "fixing" it right now and doing a "bang-up job". >:(