Author Topic: Titan Donations  (Read 3664 times)

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
Titan Donations
« on: July 10, 2013, 06:37:18 AM »
Hey all, I discovered something more than a bit annoying tonight, and I wanted to address it in case some of you have felt a bit left out.  What I discovered is that Google for some reason has been classifying emails saying that we've received a donation as spam.  This is really bad for a couple of reasons:  First, because for the past few months, I had no idea that we were getting as many donations as we've gotten. Second, because I like to jot a short thank-you note to people who have made donations as a courtesy and to let them know that we got the donation.

So with that in mind, I want to apologize if you've sent a donation and not received any kind of acknowledgement from me that we got it.  That's incredibly rude, and I assure you that it wasn't intentional.  Second, over the next few days, I'm going to go back as far as I can and try to determine whether or not I've sent any kind of message to donors thanking them for their donations.  If not, under the theory that it's better late than never, I'll try to drop as many thank-you emails as I can.  I'll undoubtedly still miss sending some of you thank-you notes, but please be assured that it's not because we're not grateful, but because I've simply lost the record of it.  In the meantime, I'm also marking as many emails as I can in the spam folder as "Not Spam" so that hopefully Google's heuristics will adjust and realize that I actually want these emails.

We're using most of this money to help defray the cost of hosting, and I'm going to ping Codewalker as soon as I see him online next time and find out if we can use some of it for... well, for "other things," internal CoH-related projects that have been ramping up.

Thanks again, and please accept my gratitude (and apology!) again, and I'll continue to post updates as I can.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
Re: Titan Donations
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 07:14:32 AM »
Unfortunately Google will only save messages in the spam folder for 30 days unless you have it set otherwise. This stinks but it's not your fault Tony. I can't speak for everyone but it's just a technological glitch of sorts, comes with living in the 21st Century. At least you've been getting the donations that people were trying to hand you!

Also I'm all for "other things", whatever they might be, given your history, I'm sure they're worth a donation.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 07:55:39 AM »
It was just a glitch; I'm sure anyone willing to donate is capable of understanding. Don't sweat it, man.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 02:25:02 PM »
Unfortunately Google will only save messages in the spam folder for 30 days unless you have it set otherwise.

That's true, but I have records in PayPal also.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 05:07:23 AM »
google and yahoo and all other mail clients that supply automatic spam filtering have this problem, though I will say that everyone.net seems to be a bit better at times, but they also block emails for no reason. at which point you need to go and tell them please don;t block the following.

with Google and yahoo, their system looks for similar message headers from the same address that appear frequently, it takes the body into account too, then if all of that matches it's records and the sender address is not listed as thier @ or one of thier advertising partner's @'s then the system decides it's spam.

getting it unlisted as spam is not as easy as saying "not spam" that wont change how it interprets the message, it will only make that particular email 'cleared' and send it to your inbox, it does nothing for future emails.

as with my email you need to contact google mail in this case and tell them that something important is getting blocked.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Ohioknight

• Celebrating Columbus Day
  • Elite Boss
  • 65 years old
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 03:51:09 AM »
Tony, sorry if this is dim -- but I don't see the info on a basic search -- how does one donate?
"Wow, a fat, sarcastic, Star Trek fan, you must be a devil with the ladies"

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 04:19:15 AM »
Tony, sorry if this is dim -- but I don't see the info on a basic search -- how does one donate?
http://www.cohtitan.com - at the bottom right there is a paypal button.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 10:21:16 PM »
Is there anyway you can setup a continuing donation? I saw this when I was part of the Child's Play charity event.

I'd like to set up a monthly donation of $10-$15 a month to help with server and other costs. I could just try to remember to do it but I am terrible at that kind of thing.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 04:47:36 AM »
Any ideas guys?
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 11:56:19 PM »
Ok, since I can't get anyone to take my money on a regular basis, I'll just try and remember.  But if I forget, you have only yourself to blame!

AKA TheDevilYouKnow

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 11:48:29 PM »
OK, Twenty dollars heading your way, every month if I can remember. Just email me if I forget. I want to help cover your server cost or whatever. Seriously, let me help. I have little to no time. This I can do.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 11:59:56 PM by TheDevilYouKnow »
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 04:15:39 AM »
So I keep checking this thread and wondering if a Titan admin is going to answer! And I don't think any admin can really answer this question except for Tony. The suspension was killing me tonight so I checked Tony's Facebook. Turns out he has some kind of really bad ear infection that has him dizzy and in bed a lot. I debated with myself about whether to tell the world what's going on with Tony, but I figure it's far worse to just stay quiet and let Tony look like an ungrateful ass. Which, as lots and lots of history tells us, he's not. So, there it is, Tony's sick and probably not sitting in front of his computer much at the moment. :-\

P.S. Get well soon Tony!

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 05:14:00 AM »
I certainly didn't think that!

I figured he's busy in RL or maybe working some top secret project of COH goodness and needs to focus. I really am forgetful about this kind of thing that was why I was asking. But like I said, I'll try my best to remember.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 08:17:21 AM »
Holy Crap! I actually remembered.

Here's some help with server cost or whatever. (well, as much as you can get with 20 bucks)
AKA TheDevilYouKnow

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 10:11:21 AM »
So basically what you're saying is "In a realignment of company email..."

I knew it! You're in on it! It's all been a conspiracy!!
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 08:49:46 PM »
Hi all! I logged in to make my monthly 20 dollar donation and guess what?

Make this a recurring donation was an option!

So thanks guys! I can set this up and forget about it. Except...

How about some of the other users out there stepping up and pitching in? It's pretty easy and it could be helping our beloved city to return in some form or fashion. It doesn't have to be much. It could be a 5 dollar ongoing donation or really, whatever you can spare.

http://www.cohtitan.com/img/paypal_donate_coffee.png

I was paying 45 dollars a month in a subscription fees for my house plus money in the cash store. I figure around 80 a month all told. I regret not one penny of it. Think about what you spent and maybe you can kick in something to the cause for keeping the game alive.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow