Author Topic: How and why did you buy the game?  (Read 12041 times)

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
Re: How and why did you buy the game?
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2013, 12:04:28 AM »
We bought the box set as a X-mas present for my oldest son.  I peeked at the game play now & then.....He finally "convinced" me to play.  I was hooked and as a result added my own account.  My middle son also got hooked and played on my account.  As the boys got older they stuck to pvp, but I kept enjoying all aspects of the game.  I never did convince my wife to play....maybe the next go around I can get her hooked  ;D

My son corrected me on this...CoH was the X-mas present and CoV box followed as a late B-day present after Halloween in 05.  LF ToT anyone???
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 03:53:45 PM by r00tb0ySlim »

ag88t88

• Lieutenant
  • Ice_Wall
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2013, 10:36:53 AM »
For a couple of reasons. Firstly, as everyone else says... bullies and douche nozzles. Going into a game is an act of enjoyment and escape for 98% of people, and its hard to escape or enjoy yourself when some little fusker is teabagging your freshly sniped corpse.

This.  I'm a bit competitive when I play games for sure, but I HATE any kind of PVP in most games.  Sure sometimes I'll have fun in an FPS on multi-player but it's few and far between, because there are people out there who get obsessed with certain games and all they do is play the game 10 hours a day and it's not good enough for them to have a good match or a nice little competitive battle, they aren't happy until they crush the ever living hell out of other people 19 times.  Those people suck the fun out of the game for me and unfortunately there are a LOT of people out there like that who will just go about killing, sniping, ambushing and using any kind of crooked tactic to gank other people who are out to have a good, casual time.  I'm not saying they are in the majority, but I come across them way too often in PVP games. People like that, suck the fun out of the game because they will use any kind of broken method or exploit just to kill people, it's no longer about having a good battle they are just obsessed bullies who have more time to find ways to exploit the game than many of us "casual" types do.  So joining a game that has no PVP or severely limited PVP (as in it's entirely voluntary and I can walk around and never once have to get attacked by another player)  means that's several less pains in the foot I have to deal with during my game experience.

Except early on in the Beta or quickly after the Beta of Going Rogue, there was a fun little glitch I ran into a couple of times where I could fire on my own team once I entered a mission map.  At first it was kind of confusing, in the middle of a pitched battle, I hit Tab to select the next enemy, immediately firing off some shots and I realize it's my own team mate.  I point it out to my fellows and we all bugged it and continued about our day on the "honor system."  Of course I couldn't resist and fired on a couple of my team mates, just to prod them a little and got justly rewarded with the entire rest of the team targeting me and taking me out very quickly and soundly.  I think that happened a couple times, I'd not be able to resist just for the fun of it and they'd put me down like I'd talked about their mothers.  But then that was all in good fun and not about just trying to Pwn everyone on my team. 

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2013, 11:47:51 PM »
I saw the game in comic books and saw it in a retail store, FRY's electronics.
I didn't pay too much attention until my life turned sour from a rotten relationship.
I was discovering drinking as a result. Very dark period.

So I purchased CoH and loaded it June 2007. I never expected it to be what it was.The community was just wonderful as well as the game content.

I was playing everyday, Weekends were marathons. I put away the bottle, made friends
of all kinds. I can say CoH was a positive influence.
It got me through a hard time.....yezz, still miss it to this day.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2013, 03:16:52 PM »
I actually played a trial, first. Which I loved, but I never managed to find a copy of the game until some six months later just after starting university. I had some cash left over from buying textbooks so I shot down to the EB games at the mall down the road to see what they had. Turned out they had CoH and CoV, a single copy of each. I bought both the moment I saw them. I only actually got to play CoV at first though since the CoH box was so old that the serial code was invalid, and that took me a week of back and forth with support to prove I'd actually bought the game. Entirely worth the effort, though.

It occurs to me now that I could've bought it online and not waited those six months, but at the time I hadn't really jumped on the digital distribution bandwagon yet.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2013, 05:19:59 PM »
CoH came up on my radar from E3 footage way back when.  I wasn't necessarily playing an mmo with regularity after my utter disappointment with Star Wars Galaxies.  The notion of extreme costume customization and power set combination really intrigued me. Eventually I got beta access and knew right then and there that I was pre-ordering from Best Buy for the glowy sprint. ( ' :
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Pinnacle Blue

• Boss
  • Pinnacle Server is best server.
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2013, 07:15:04 PM »
We'd just gotten the incredible new staff fighting, and were supposed to get an entirely new haunted astoria zone and mission set...

Wait, what?  We were going to get ADDITIONAL new DA stuff??
Warshades don't take Alphas.  They give Alphas.

MaHaBone

• Minion
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2013, 07:48:03 PM »
I read this article on Something Awful:
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/my-life-as-2/
I knew I had to try this game.  I resisted a few months because of the whole subsciption thing and having to play along side a bunch of weirdies, but in the end, that became my favorite feature of the game*.
(the weirdos, not the subscription)

*not including the character creator

ExoQQ

• Underling
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2013, 02:30:31 AM »
Was always a comic buff so I was definitely interested when I started reading about it. Was going to buy it at the same time with my buddy, but then I went and saw The Incredibles in the theater and proceeded to head straight to Game Stop after the moving to buy the DVD Ediiton.

I was then glued to my computer for the next 8 years lol