Author Topic: Dang it, author Richard Matheson passed  (Read 1822 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Dang it, author Richard Matheson passed
« on: June 25, 2013, 10:30:16 AM »
As a fan of the Twilight Zone I am sadden by the news.  16 Twilight Zone episodes, including such classics as "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet", "The Invaders", "Third From the Sun", "Steel" (turned in Real Steel a few years ago) along with the various incarnations of "I Am Legend" (they still haven't gotten it right after 3 times in English, not counting the Asylum rip off, and once in Spanish) as well as The Incredible Shrinking Man and The Legend of Hell House.  He also wrote for other anthology series like Amazing Stories and Ghost Story/Circle of Fear.  He also adapted Ray Bradbury's "The Martian Chonicles" for TV.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/25/showbiz/richard-matheson-death/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

His works, I'm sure you will recognize more than a few.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Matheson#Works
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
Re: Dang it, author Richard Matheson passed
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 03:16:11 PM »
Yep, tis a good writer gone to meet his maker.

What Dreams May Come, as a book, is a really great work.  The movie was Starship Troopers to the book, but much like Troopers, the book and the movie can be enjoyed as separate pieces with the same title.

But I feel his masterpiece was "Bid Time Return" which y'all will know better as "Somewhere in Time".  And true, the book and the movie differ some here and there, but both are just wonderful.

And that he did Nightmare at 20,000 Feet is just cool.  Shatner and Lithgow did some good work with those stories.

I did not know he adapted The Martian Chronicles.  Awesome.  They did a pretty decent job for being TV back then.

RIP sir, you done well.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 05:14:35 PM »
He also wrote the novel "I am Legend" which spawned at least three different movies.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 07:14:44 PM »
He also wrote the novel "I am Legend" which spawned at least three different movies.

I was hoping at some point he would get around to writing the sequel, No, I Am Legend!  :(

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »
A great talent! Never tire of any of his works.  Thanks for posting this.