Author Topic: The Incredibles 2. 2015  (Read 17575 times)

JKPhage

• Lieutenant
Re: The Incredibles 2. 2015
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2013, 08:35:06 AM »
Dancing with Smurfs was nothing the likes of Ferngully and Princess Mononoke hadn't done before, though.

Or even further before that, Nausicaa, which I think did the environmental thing even better than Mononoke, but that could just be my personal preference.

I do adore Pixar, and I think any of us who are fans have worried a little bit about their sequels, but hey, no movie studio is perfect, and there's bound to be a bad one here and there. They had a stretch where they literally did not have a bad film out, and that was absolutely ASTOUNDING, but hey, I'm not gonna write them off as sell-outs or washed up just because they may put out a bad film, or even a bad sequel/prequel every now and then. I haven't seen Cars, though it's on my list, but I've already written off it's sequel just from all the "not good" I've heard about it, and I'm not even considering Planes, which really just makes me roll my eyes and go "You're trying too hard, guys." In the long run they've given us Finding Nemo, Toy Story 1-3, Up, Ratatouille, The Incredibles, Monsters Inc., A Bugs Life, Wall-E and Brave, and John Lasseter was largely responsible for the success of Meet The Robinsons (Which I honestly treat as basically a pixar film as it uses a lot of their style and was guided along by suggestions and input from Mr. Lasseter), not to mention all the delightfully charming little shorts they've released. That's more or less 18 years as a production studio without ever releasing a truly awful movie. I'm gonna give them the benefit of a doubt and see where they go. Even if they put out something that just doesn't really do it for me, you also have to account for personal taste. As amazing as I thought Wall-E was, there were plenty of people out there who thought it was awful. I think those people missed the point of the film entirely, but again, that's just my opinion.

If they release something that just isn't my cup of tea, oh well, I don't like every flavor of ice cream either, but that doesn't mean I stop eating a certain brand because they make a flavor I don't like. Now, if Pixar starts making consistently bad movies then we'll have a problem, but they are subsidiary to Disney again now, and if they have to crank out a certain quota to appease company bigwigs then I won't hold it against them. If I have to ignore a bad sequel here, or a less than stellar film there, that's alright, I'll just appreciate the masterpieces even more when they're released. It's when those bad sequels and lackluster films become the norm and those masterpieces become something we only see once out of every ten films that we'll have an issue to my eyes. Pixar set the bar extremely high for themselves and they've gone nearly two decades without really messing up much at all, but nothing is perfect, nor does anything last forever, so if I have to just say "Eh, I just won't watch that one" every three or so films, I won't call that a failure on their part.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2013, 01:19:06 PM »
A message about evil corporations doesn't need to be set on Earth - just look at the Trade federation :P
That one at least had less obvious "the pure and innocent natives are awesome for living in harmony with nature...because their nature works in a way that naturally gives them advantages similar to what humans need to use modern technology to achieve" idiocy. That's what I'm talking about with Avatar: Yes, Avatar shows that an alien people who can psychically link with "nature" can achieve dominance and stewardship of it in a 100% non-invasive way (or at least, deceive themselves that they're being non-invasive, as stewardship ALWAYS involves some level of invasion as it involves changing the "natural" order to one that is more healthy for the system overall through intelligent guidance).

In fact, in order to make the point that Evil Humans are "ruining everything" with their Evil Corporate Greed, James Cameron had to create, in essence, God (of Pandora, at least) as a being that guides things, so that the Evil Corporation could attack God.

A bit of a strange thing for a movement that usually decries belief in God as part of what makes the Judeo-Christian America, run by Evil Corporations, so evil.

Or even further before that, Nausicaa, which I think did the environmental thing even better than Mononoke, but that could just be my personal preference.
Naussica also had some silliness, but it was much, much better done. Especially if you, I understand, read the manga, which details how nature can, if nurtured properly, cleanse itself of pollutants.

Personally, I tend to find the environmentalist movement to be two things: a front for stealth communists (look at how just about everything that is somehow harmful to the environment according to these movements is capitalist in nature, and how things they support as "eco-friendly" suddenly become the next destroyer of the environment when somebody finds a way to make them work profitably and spread it to mainstream use), or a perverse narcissism. How narcissism? Think about it: Man is so almighty and powerful that we can utterly destroy the environment of an entire world, when we occuply less than 20% of it. And most of our occupation thereof is concentrated in an even smaller area, with a ridiculously thin spread around the rest of the space. And yet, we can destroy it. And, further, environmentalists believe that they, through their actions (which rarely actually impede their lives, even though they demand activities or restrictions thereof that would impede others' greatly), save the world. How important that makes them! How righteous! How noble! How powerful! Bow down before these tiny gods, who hold in their hands the salvation or destruction of the Earth!

No, they don't put it in those words, but the hysteria associated with some of the pushes, and the images of how much we "change" the world by just not doing as these prophets of global desolation command in all their fiction, does tell that same tale.

(And no, not all who believe in that false religion are fanatics or preachers; many are just swept up in it. But I do wish people would critically examine the claims and consider the motives of the claimants; ever notice how environmentalist leaders get very wealthy selling the cure for the ailment, and often at government expense that they persuaded people had to happen?)

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2013, 07:08:21 PM »
You're harming the environment by using that much tinfoil :P
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2013, 10:18:25 PM »
What tinfoil? I'm not the one who thinks corporations are all massive eldrich horrors out to use secret rituals to turn destruction of the planet and its people's souls into money. :P

More seriously, there's no conspiracy theory here. It's just how these people are.

Environmentalists  - at least, the prominent ones - are anti-capitalist more than they are pro-environment, and all you have to do to recognize it is watch how they behave. Of course, they're also hypocrites, by and large (e.g. Al Gore and his massive fortune off of carbon credits which he uses to fund massive mansions and jets and SUVs, and who sold his failing TV network to Oil Sheiks...obviously no qualms about accepting oil money!), so it's not surprising that they love making money off of their artificial crises.

Again, it's no conspiracy theory. They're not some cabal getting together with secret decoder rings and mind control rays. It's just a movement that has been co-opted by greedy people.

But this is really getting off-topic. We can hurl anti-eco-wacko and anti-corporate and anti-capitalist and anti-communist and other political and pseudo-political rants back and forth all day, and we'll not convince each other. Let's focus on the Incredibles 2, which will be great fun, I'm sure, and is something to which I greatly look forward. ^_^

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2013, 12:56:57 AM »
Environmentalists  - at least, the prominent ones - are anti-capitalist more than they are pro-environment, and all you have to do to recognize it is watch how they behave. Of course, they're also hypocrites, by and large (e.g. Al Gore and his massive fortune off of carbon credits which he uses to fund massive mansions and jets and SUVs, and who sold his failing TV network to Oil Sheiks...obviously no qualms about accepting oil money!), so it's not surprising that they love making money off of their artificial crises.

Don't forget Greenpeace's massive Diesel Chugging Flagship.
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2013, 02:12:22 AM »
Don't forget Greenpeace's massive Diesel Chugging Flagship.

Of course. But that dont count as pollution, because it's Greenpeace.  :p

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2013, 12:52:04 PM »
It's awful, but every time I see "Greenpeace's" name, I want to write a parody set to "Greensleeves."

ag88t88

• Lieutenant
  • Ice_Wall
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2013, 10:19:32 AM »
I'm all for it, Brad Bird knows how to tell an interesting story with interesting people, I've always felt the first Incredibles was a great introduction to a family and a world (Not to dissimilar to CoH in the prevalence of it's hero community and it's classical comic book inspired atmosphere)  that deserved some follow up.  Once the family of supers is joined, what are they going to do? They say in the sequel mom and pop would be hanging up their tights but I think that's almost a shame because I think a true Super Hero family could be an interesting take on Super Hero Mythos in general.  That said I'd watch any Incredibles 2, and I think Pixar could do great with it,  I love basically anything they've done so far with the exception of the Cars\Planes Franchise.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2013, 10:19:10 PM »
Your Mileage May Vary, I guess. To me, I took the appearance of the Underminer at the end of the film to be a signal that the era of the costumed hero had returned (Of which we saw the death of at the beginning of the film), not a prospective sequel villain.

Yeah, it seemed like the Underminer was more of an ending joke, showing the start of a new costumed era, rather than a serious villain. He basically had the one punchline: "I am under you, but nothing is beneath me!" It's amusing, sure, but not enough to make a whole main character out of. I mean, it's basically making fun of people that will do anything to make others look bad. But I wouldn't want to try to stretch that out into something more.

Besides, given the masks being put on at the end of the film, he was most likely defeated rather quickly.

Edit: I should add, that I will be wary about an Incredibles sequel. I think it stands VERY well on its own.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Mantic

• Boss
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2013, 12:40:31 PM »
Pixar was smart when they signed with Disney... a lot more than most. Or they just had more leverage for some reason. For a Disney asset, Pixar retains a lot of creative control...

Yeah... Pixar is definitely not Disney Studio.

...and I can't think of a time where they've disappointed (I cannot yet speak for Monster University).

I can. More and more until I've finally completely fallen out of love with them. They do make pretty pictures, but the movies are vapid and insulting on a level Disney Animation Studio films never sunk to. I'd say Brave was my breaking point. Very pretty movie, but that's all I can say for it.

Incredibles was back when I didn't hate Pixar. Incredibles 2... worries me.