Author Topic: /e HoldTorch for one of our own: Ascendant  (Read 63647 times)

wei yau

• Boss
Re: /e HoldTorch for one of our own: Ascendant
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2013, 02:46:49 PM »
City was my first MMO.  In fact, I knew little about MMOs at all until I started playing. 

When I first read about Ascendant, I wasn't sure if he was an NPC or a dev-character.  I was utterly floored to have discovered that Ascendant was a player.  I had no idea that players interacted with games in this way.  I mean, I knew about RPG, but nothing along the lines of what Ascendant was doing.  Ascendant was probably the first City of Heroes celebrity player I learned about.

I had a few chance encounters with him (the character and the player), as he was a member of The Dauntless Reverie, an SG I was honored to call home.  By the time I joined, he wasn't as active, but he was still so very beloved.

City of Heroes was a unique game, its community even more so and players like Ascendant are the best of us all.

MMODesigner

• Positronic
  • Underling
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2013, 03:10:20 PM »
I won't lie. I am devastated at this news.

I did my best to eulogize him, and tried to get it the most exposure I could. It will go up on Tuesday in my column on MMORPG.com.

Rest In Peace, Mr. Chipman.

cygnata

• Minion
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2013, 03:32:33 PM »
Tre... :( I'm crying hard here, I count Tre as one of my close friends on CoH. :(I remember meeting him in person for GenCon 2006, and it was awesome to spend the day with him and Kelp. We talked on the phone many times after, including the famous phone call to tell him in character that Ghost Widow was looking for him in the D while he was offline. Tre was a wonderful person, and I hope he left this world happy. It's good to see that final day phone call remembered fondly by so many people and I was happy to be among those urging him to do it. Tre taught me so much, about playing the game, enjoying life, and making others happy.

Rest in Peace, Tre. *HUG* You will always be loved and missed.

Mazz vs The World

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2013, 03:49:58 PM »
I never had the pleasure of meeting or hearing about Ascendant. However a loss is always sad to hear and his friends and family will be in my prayers.

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2013, 03:55:44 PM »
I'm gonna /e dance6 instead. He wouldn't want us to frown. (-:

Wulfen

• Underling
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2013, 03:59:46 PM »
Great guy to chat with, great player to run with.  Ascendant was a real pillar to the community.   Said it once on FB, if he favored any charities or his family has some in mind then its time, I think, to be a Hero in his name.

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2013, 04:17:50 PM »
I just found out about this. This bites. :(

EDIT: If the game comes back online, Ascendant needs to become a TF contact. Saul also needs to become a contact, so we can bring his "discount task force" out of the AE building and into the game proper.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 04:25:07 PM by CoyoteSeven »

matt5150

• Underling
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2013, 04:20:29 PM »

AltaholicX

• Underling
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2013, 04:57:49 PM »
 :'( What a great guy. Always so funny and cool. He will be missed and never forgotten as long as people remember CoH. Thanks for everyone posting messages here. It really helps to be reminded of all the good times on this sad day. /e HoldTorch

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2013, 05:15:22 PM »
Just wanted to share this, it's an e-mail I got from Ascendant following working with him on getting his phone script to NCsoft recorded by a DJ at The Cape and publicized at the Unity Rally:

Quote from: Ascendant
I remember when you said you wanted to get 10 instances of Atlas Park.  You got 33, shut down access to Virtue, and dominated another 8 on Freedom.  I'd hate to think what would happen if you turned your talents to evil.  By the way, Nexus and the Cape knocked the Ascendant script out of the park (pun not intended), and I understand it's now part of their regular ad rotation. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help save the City, and keep up the good fight.

I hope I adequately conveyed to him that I thoroughly enjoyed our interaction, and that what he did really helped to lift my spirits at a time when they were pretty low.

I've been thinking, did anyone here know Tre in person?  I don't want to pry into the guy's personal life right now, but I'm wondering if there's an opportunity to maybe get some of the files from his computer such as the source files for his task force.  I remember running it once, and it was awesome.

Edit:  I think we may have managed to get the source for Ascendant's AE arc.  Or not.  Still hazy on details, but I hope it works out.
Edit:  I validated that we do have the source for Ascendant's AE arc.  8)  I don't know what we'll do with it yet, but I'm extremely happy that it's not just gone.  We'll figure something out.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 07:08:08 PM by TonyV »

Ellscry

• Minion
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2013, 05:31:08 PM »
I was at work when I first read this, and there was only one page of replies. It took me until now to even be able to type mine. I only met Ascendant a couple times, and I was never able to see one of his skits in person, but when I did meet him he was the best of us.

Add my torch to the bonfire.

wei yau

• Boss
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2013, 06:16:02 PM »
Man, I just realized that Ascendant was one of the heroes I was looking forward to seeing again in The Phoenix Project or any of the other Plan Z projects.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2013, 06:35:09 PM »
This thread is just the embodiment of what I love about you guys. I never had the pleasure of meeting Ascendant, nor was I able to catch one of his phone calls, but hearing the stories and reading about him makes me realize what a great guy he was. He will be missed.

And, Posi, if you're still following this, thanks. That's also a huge part of what is so great, here.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Zekiran

• Lieutenant
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2013, 06:37:30 PM »
Since I was on Protector I didn't really cross paths with him in game much if ever, but during the Atlas vigil I was honored to be in AP 8 where he had landed. Starstruck, I got his glossy autographed photo.

I'm not sure that he came to the proto-con meet and greet in San Jose or one of the San Diego cons, but if it turns out he had I will scour the photos I took to see whether he's in them.

When a Protector native, Malibu Sally, passed away I made a memorial troll in a game called troll Island. I did the same last night for Tre's character Ascendant (with an A... A - n - t) and nailed it. When the troll's old enough I'll be putting the distinct star marking on him and getting him leveled up so he can wear the golden 'gloves and boots' to match his outfit from the game. WAIT it modifies the word for little horse. That's. ... you people here need to grow the hell up on that please.

I'm hoping that he would think that's fitting and funny.

His 'wrong number' routine has been part of my subconscious for years, every time someone in the real world is on the phone, or misdials me, you bet I think "Ascendant who?" And I certainly believe that I always will get a smirk and a fond memory from it.

He will be dearly missed, but dearly remembered.

Arachnion

• Elite Boss
  • Professional Cynic
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2013, 06:47:01 PM »
He was a magnificent person.

He will be missed.

:(
I'm all dressed up with nowhere to go
Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder

Waiting for an invitation to arrive
Goin' to a party where no one's still alive

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2013, 06:57:27 PM »
A friend from my old SG broke the news to me last night, and it was quite a shock to me. I'd only got to chat with him a couple of times: he was as friendly and humorous in character as he was out of. Quite an amazing player. (I actually had him in one of my SG global channels despite the fact he wasn't a member of either of its incarnations.)

After the game shut down I managed to find an old from a screen I took of Ascendant from one of the Palladium Sentry's Winter Gala events, and from it I made my own version of the signed photo. I would have posted it to dA sooner, but the reason why I waited until now was because I was hoping to at least show it to him first, see if he liked it.

He appeared a couple of times on Champions Online, and I even sent him a friends request, but he never logged on again. Honestly, just this week I was going to post a thread asking if anyone had heard from him. ... Now we know.

*posts before starting to tear up*

cygnata

• Minion
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2013, 07:08:49 PM »
Some of you know I own a signed copy of the World's Largest Dungeon. Signed by many good friends and industry legends at GenCon 2006.

Ascendant was one of those friends and legends.

This signature has always been a reminder of a weekend spent with some of the best people I've ever known.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2013, 07:13:38 PM »
Some of you know I own a signed copy of the World's Largest Dungeon. Signed by many good friends and industry legends at GenCon 2006.

Ascendant was one of those friends and legends.

That's awesome.  What's the World's Largest Dungeon?

cygnata

• Minion
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2013, 07:21:10 PM »
Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 module published by AEG in 2005. 800 pages, 1600 rooms, 5lb tome. It had just come out, so I took it to GenCon and got as many signatures as I could. Posi, Arctic Sun, Cricket, States, Dr. Vahz, and many players signed it, in addition to a ton of other friends, including the staff of Bioware, Catalyst Game Labs, artists, pirates, everyone I could find that I knew. :) People have since called it the Gaming Necronomicon and denied it exists, heh. Tre hung out with me, Kelp Plankton, and Pouncetta all week.

I will also note that GenCon is when I got his number, so we could keep in touch. That later lead to the (in)famous real life phone call in character to get him online when Ghost Widow logged in before CoV's release, asking for him. I was the character trying to get them to go out on a date.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 07:30:34 PM by cygnata »

Zekiran

• Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2013, 07:29:54 PM »
What would be awesome would be to combine that real-world signature with the glossies. :D That is superb, what a great memory!