Author Topic: Do you think the game got TOO user friendly at the end?  (Read 32820 times)

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
Re: Do you think the game got TOO user friendly at the end?
« Reply #160 on: August 31, 2013, 12:17:38 PM »
AE did give us more level 50s that don't know their way around the city/islands; but even that's easy enough to pass off IC. Why should every hero learn their skills in Paragon? We've got an interdimensional invasion going on here; of course we've got new people turning up to help out! You don't lose all your job experience when you move to a new town but you probably can't find the post office without directions.
That's probably the best in-universe explanation I ever heard for the existence of AE babies.

I gotta agree.  Kudos to you, G.I., I honestly never thought about it that way.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #161 on: September 01, 2013, 03:19:01 AM »
Don't give me the kudos, I wasn't the one who came up with it.

Nealix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #162 on: September 10, 2013, 12:43:28 AM »
I actually liked the sewer trials.  After all those years struggling to level those lowbies created by my alt-it is, being able to run new characters through a fun, quick trial for exp was a relief.  There are still so many power sets I didn't get to fully explore even though I started playing the game in beta and kept playing until the servers shut down.  I never did reach my goal of having at least 1 level 40 from each of the 10 base archetypes but I came a lot closer with the addition of the fun new power sets and faster low level experience.

I thought the trainers as tailors was a little silly.  It was nice to be able to access the market remotely though.  Using Wentworths was a mini-game in itself.  I haven't really been involved in the CO market much.  Its just not the same.

I loved that the fitness pool went inherent.  For years I griped about it to myself, as I played just about any melee character and a few others as well, that it should be inherent and they went and did it!  Most of the changes were all the things I wanted and my love for the game deepened more and more.  Just reading these posts makes me home sick for CoH even though its been more than a year since the closure announcement was made.

The worst part is that even if we could get the game back, I had so many heroes and villains I'd have to recreate the task is daunting.

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #163 on: September 10, 2013, 05:00:27 AM »
I actually liked the sewer trials.

I've seen this expression come up a few times in this thread and just got around to looking at the Wiki. Whoah, that was going on?

.. come to think of it, given the way the level 1-4 contacts got eaten, what did you do if you didn't want to go sewer trialling?

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #164 on: September 10, 2013, 01:06:33 PM »
I've seen this expression come up a few times in this thread and just got around to looking at the Wiki. Whoah, that was going on?

.. come to think of it, given the way the level 1-4 contacts got eaten, what did you do if you didn't want to go sewer trialling?
there was still a one-four story arc for newbies. and if you missed it, the game was set up so that any contact you talked to anywhere in the game would tell you the contact you were supposed to talk to appropriate to your level and alignment.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

thunderforce

• Elite Boss
« Reply #165 on: September 10, 2013, 01:16:16 PM »
there was still a one-four story arc for newbies.

Save me a little Googling and tell me what it was called, please?

and if you missed it, the game was set up so that any contact you talked to anywhere in the game would tell you the contact you were supposed to talk to appropriate to your level and alignment.

Er, yeah. I did _play_ the game, now and again. :-)

adarict

• Boss
« Reply #166 on: September 10, 2013, 02:04:03 PM »

I never did the sewer trials. Well, not true.  I ran it a couple of times early when it was so popular.  It bored me to tears after the first couple of times.  I mean, it is fun to just go in and annihilate everything and watch your XP bar just keep rising non-stop, but it gets old pretty fast.  Unless the only thing you care about is leveling up, then I suppose it might be fun.  Pretty much I just ran whatever missions came up.  Those first 10 levels went by pretty fast, even in the old days.  The only time it was a little slow was if I was soloing my way.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #167 on: September 10, 2013, 04:37:34 PM »
Save me a little Googling and tell me what it was called, please?

Blueside it started with Matthew Habashy, then went on to a choice of either Sandra Costel or some cop I never picked, and finally ended with Aaron Thiery. Three separate arcs actually. I forget the name of the arcs though, but through the magic of the Wiki it's like I remembered it instantly! Habashy's was called What Was Lost, and the others link from there.

Redside... I dunno. I wasn't a redsider. I think Operative Kuzmin kicked things off there.

LydiaFrost

• Minion
« Reply #168 on: September 10, 2013, 06:03:36 PM »
Redside had an arc of double betrayal, to take back the Arachnos Base on Mercy Island from Longbow. It was very vilainous, to tell the deserter from longbow after we got the base back, that we just used him and his little revenge on his superiors :)

I really liked the Game with all the Changes :-)

Lydia Frost MM

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #169 on: September 11, 2013, 01:22:00 AM »
Nine times out of ten, I was playing a newbie character with a team of friends. We'd just street sweep until we were high enough to go to Kings Row to get the radio. I know I played the Habashy arc once or twice, but I couldn't tell you how it went without checking the wiki.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #170 on: September 11, 2013, 01:33:25 AM »
Matt can be fun, particularly if you run in in an RP ind frame about the over-worked bureaucrat whose wife got fed up and left him and is totally too hot for him anyway 8)
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor