Author Topic: The First MMORPG of the 41st Millennium.  (Read 5643 times)

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
Re: The First MMORPG of the 41st Millennium.
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 10:41:56 AM »
Maybe he means Warhammer Online?
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 04:51:21 AM »
Maybe he means Warhammer Online?

Bingo.  Didn't know the name of it.  Just new it was an MMO based in that universe.

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 07:33:52 PM »
That was just Warhammer, not Warhammer 40k

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 09:08:43 PM »
That was just Warhammer, not Warhammer 40k

Regardless of if it s Warhammer 40k, 100k, 20000k.  I don't play or know enough about the game to care about the differences between them.  I just think the idea of a MMO with ANY Warhammer era of the Warhammer Universe is cool.  Warhammer 40k was made as a companion game for Warhammer Fantasy and if there are differences between the universe's I am unaware of them.  But the REAL difference is Game Workshop could use a similar story and cash in on both audiences.  I didn't ever get introduced into the story until the Dawn of War games, so 40k would be up my alley.  So if Warhammer Fantasty is different I don't know.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 09:20:20 PM by Taceus Jiwede »

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 10:23:21 PM »
I have no idea how Warhammer fantasy relates to 40k in terms of narrative. I know a lot of races parallel (Elves - Eldar, Tomb Kings - Necrons), but beyond that I don't think they share anything beyond aesthetic.

I started getting into the models before my wallet screamed in protest and put an end to that (But I'm still tempted from time to time...but I really should paint the ones I have before getting more). But more then anything, after playing Dawn of War the setting is what really grabbed me about 40k. It's so bleak but still has individual triumphs. Also it's an improbable but compelling marriage between science and sorcery (With high science being treated much like sorcery in addition to the real thing).

Needless to say, since playing Dawn of War I've been plundering the Black Library.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2013, 08:31:37 PM »
The internet is for Khorne !
Blog for the blog god!
Skulz for the Skulz throne !
Yeeessss....

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 02:05:23 AM »
Khorne feels really overplayed. Out of all the Chaos Gods, Khorne is the only one that fits the traditional definition of "Evil" (Though Nurgle comes in a close second, but you can argue what Nurgle is doing is furthering evolution by making people resistant to more and more virulent disease).

I've barely dipped into the Black Library, but I keep hoping there's some stories in there about Tzseech (The Bringer of Change) and Slanneesh (The Eldar had an Orgy and wound up birthing a new God).

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2013, 06:25:54 AM »
Khorne feels really overplayed. Out of all the Chaos Gods, Khorne is the only one that fits the traditional definition of "Evil" (Though Nurgle comes in a close second, but you can argue what Nurgle is doing is furthering evolution by making people resistant to more and more virulent disease).

I've barely dipped into the Black Library, but I keep hoping there's some stories in there about Tzseech (The Bringer of Change) and Slanneesh (The Eldar had an Orgy and wound up birthing a new God).
I've seen Tzseech in the Blood Angels series, by James Swallow (2 Books and a novel). Very enticing and interesting story, very 40K-ish.

Actually, I'm using Khorne for one, single reason.
Yeeessss....

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2013, 02:02:39 PM »
Actually, that's Slaanesh's territory 8)
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

newman13

• Underling
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2013, 09:31:26 AM »
Definitely interested in this one.

Other than superheroes, general sci-fi is my main area of gaming interest (with fantasy coming in a distant 3rd). I played tabletop 40k for many years, so an MMO based on the universe sounds awesome.

I always played Space Marines anyway, so the limited starting races is fine with me.

CheerGunbunny

• Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2013, 01:11:34 PM »
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2013, 03:00:58 AM »
Orks is nevah beat.

If we wins we win, if we dies we die so that don't count as beat.  And if we runs fer it, we can always come back fer anuvver go, see?

So when da boss sez WAAAAAGH!!, you WAAAAAAGH!! an' if the boss sez "LEG IT" you leg it.  An' if you takes too many o' thos' boltah rounds to yer face, I'mma see if I can get yer teef an' yer choppa.  Consida' it payment fer me stickin' dat choppa in da guy dat shot ya.

As pointed out, that's Slaanesh domain.

For anyone confused, here's a fairly quick primer on Chaos Gods:

Khorne - blood, violence, warfare, brutality for brutality's sake, destruction.  The glorification of warfare is Khorne's domain, and he doesn't care between who it's waged.  "Khorne does not care from whence the blood flows, only that it flows."  Probably the simplest Chaos God to understand - if you're killing something violently or preparing to kill something violently or getting killed violently, you're on the right track.

Nurgle - represents life, but that includes all life, including microbial life.  And there's more of it than there is of you.  Death is also a part of life; refusing to die when it's your time to go is antithetical to Nurgle.  Nurgle is often associated with diseases, but oddly enough not viruses (viruses are just self-replicating protein packets, and aren't alive).  Parasites, symbiotes, and commensal relationships, and bacterial infections are good to Nurgle, and cultivating other forms of life within you is considered holy sacrament.  Having your body and mind overtaken by a behavior-modifying toxic fungus?  Great!  Slowly losing your immune system to a virus, not good... although it does mean you can be host to more bacteria without your immune system attacking it.

Slaanesh - Sensation and the excess indulgence thereof.  Not always pleasant sensation, although pleasant sensations are usually what get someone into Slaanesh worship to begin with.  Slaanesh always wants it louder, more intense, more forceful, more grating, more torturous or exquisitely beautiful.  Or better yet, both at the same time.  If you are being damn-near driven insane or to the border of death by over-stimulation, you're doing it right as far as Slaanesh cares.

Tzeentch - Represents, oddly enough, hope and change.  It says something about the universe that the only "hope" one really has is to be a crucial part of a much broader plan.  Tzeentch is a 'chessmaster' with plans within plans within plans for everything.  However, unbeknownst to everyone, those plans are futile, always changing with Tzeentch's whims (although he will take pains to keep the actual reason for the changes from his followers and make them seem perfectly justified and reasonable... assuming he even lets them know in the first place.)  The "hope" Tzeentch provides is the fact that you don't know what his plan is, or what your place in it is, but you can be confident that you have a place in it and he will subtly ensure that you fulfill your role.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2013, 04:34:34 AM »
REJOICE, BROTHERS.

The Eternal Crusade forums are here.
Cleanse, Purge, KILL!
http://tinyurl.com/eternalcrusadeforums