Author Topic: Kickstarter anyone?  (Read 2748 times)

Caradavina

• Underling
Kickstarter anyone?
« on: June 11, 2013, 10:37:19 PM »
I was wondering about what it would take to be able to officially restart COH using Kickstarter. It has seen much success with over venues, AND the devs can do what they want without so much outside pressure. I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but what would it take to legally get license to do such an endeavor?
Feeling like a hero lost...

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: Kickstarter anyone?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 11:34:38 PM »
First have to buy it from NCSoft.

Then it depends on the classification. I dont think kickstarter can be used for things that are already made and only for new projects iirc.

And while COH was small, Kickstarter probably heard of it and even if bought and going to renew, it will raise some eyebrows there, maybe in good way or bad way.

But if someone have enough money to buy the stuff from NCsoft, either they are a killer negotiator or they have enough money and probably wont even need kickstarter anyways.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 04:46:39 AM »
Kickstarter can only be used for new projects. Reopening City is not a valid kickstarter campaign.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Caradavina

• Underling
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 12:30:47 AM »
Yeah, ok. BUT! You know about Shroud of Avatar, right? It's "new" but it's also *not* "new" in a way. Couldn't something like that be done? I mean, yes, it's new and they had to use a different name and say it's not *really* a sequel, but c'mon it's not that farfetched. Really? I thought people wanted to save City of Heroes...Ok, then, my bad. It was just an idea anyway.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 01:51:27 AM »
Along those lines, September 8 is coming.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 01:24:18 PM »
Along those lines, September 8 is coming.

Waiting to be dazzled.

rathe101

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 03:40:54 AM »
Yeah, ok. BUT! You know about Shroud of Avatar, right? It's "new" but it's also *not* "new" in a way. Couldn't something like that be done? I mean, yes, it's new and they had to use a different name and say it's not *really* a sequel, but c'mon it's not that farfetched. Really? I thought people wanted to save City of Heroes...Ok, then, my bad. It was just an idea anyway.
The main issue with this idea, is that it was thought up, and deemed unable to work back when CoH was first announced to be shut down. People have already looked into it, and Kickstarter is not the way to go to save CoH. Our only option to really get CoH back, in the same way we all know and love, is for a 3rd party with lots of money to convince NCSoft to sell the rights to CoH.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 02:57:34 PM »
We also have a "not really a sequel project." It's Plan Z, and it's really two projects. Three, if we want to lump Valiance Online into it.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Caradavina

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 11:09:38 AM »
Yay! Ok, then, I feel we are in good hands all around. My fiance and I met in City of Heroes and have been going strong for five years now - it was a sad sad day when we found out we would lose COH. We just want it back so bad - no other MMO compares and I'm playing several!