Author Topic: Lessons in patience aka Boo Hoo  (Read 1336 times)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Lessons in patience aka Boo Hoo
« on: June 04, 2013, 02:39:35 PM »
Looks like it's my turn to have connection problems like I hear about now and then in Zone ever since I started playing. Ping times have been through the roof since yesterday. Can still plod my way through the game but the majority of the fun factor has been sucked out.

I had this all last summer with CoH but then it was do to a crummy connection on my end. I had high pings no matter what I was connecting to. Then they switched this area to 4g and my ping times have generally been in the 50 ms range, rarely higher, sometimes a little lower. I was looking forward to better pings all summer, got them, then they announced the shutdown.

After CoH it took me some months to fiddle with other games and my 5 gig bandwidth limit. I gave up on trying to get back into WoW. Even though I broke down and spent 5 bucks to buy the Battle Chest DVDs there was still way too much to download. That wasted some time, and I continued scouting around for something to play and some months later, it took me 2 or 3 months just to download, finally I had CO installed and was playing. I'd played before, when it was new, but I don't remember liking it and when I came back to it it only seemed like something fun to pass the time with while looking for something else but then I started getting into it.

Now this.

Well, my rig still works, there's still a roof over it, and I still have eyes and fingers and internet to log in to tinker with costumes or run an alert if I'm starved for a shadow of some former glory, so there's that. Gotta give thx for the good stuff.

So anyway, will still be around, just not playing much until things get fixed.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Lessons in patience aka Boo Hoo
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 03:11:30 PM »
I've heard rumours that the performance of Neverwinter and Champions are being impacted by Star Trek Online.  Something about a new Romulan expansion and a possibly-movie-related population boom.  All three games run on the same servers, after all...
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 04:38:18 PM »
They've also had an inordinate amount of trouble replacing a piece of failed network gear. I think it was actually directly addressed in an "Ask Cryptic," but I don't recall where it was printed. All of the games are suffering, evidently, but they seem to be able to keep it running smoothly on Friday nights, the only time I play. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 04:41:51 PM »
I basically have to test the game again once I move back into my own place.

Still out of house at the moment and my current machine isn't quite up to handling CO.

It *works*. but not really well.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 02:23:50 PM »
I keep zoning in under the world or into walls or just a little bit below and then rise to the right level, too. And this morning someone in Zone was asking how to get unstuck from a wall.

My connection seems pretty solid this summer on 4g, consistently good pings, but, I do have wireless and we have a fairly massive climate/environment change this time of year that may be affecting something between me and those bandwidth misers Verizon. On the subject of bandwidth misering I think I could write at least a pamphlet due to experiencing it in several different forms since the 1200 baud and also by living in diverse areas. I've paid 500ish a month (2 accounts/players..) for longer than I care to admit when I lived overseas to play EQ and there was the NWN gouging. Giving you the ability to download your bandwidth limit for the entire month in an hour and then charging you by the minute is right up there with those days, in ridiculousiousity.

Currently CO is the bulk of what I do for pure entertainment, Don't spend even a nickel on anything else that is entertaining, not even..beer. So I appreciate ya guys letting me boo hoo some. I had an amazing connection last night and then this morning it was amazingly bad. Will just have to see what happens. If it's a 'summer thing', then, things could be worse. Am pretty busy in the summer. It would suck way worse to not have good access in winter for me. Hopefully it's a coincidence that this is about the time I started having problems last year. Hopefully it's just my turn in the rotation to get the .. semi dry CO teet that seems to be getting passed around if you listen to Zone chat. My pings sucked on every connection to everywhere, last summer, and they are solid so far since the 4g. *shrug*

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>