Author Topic: I miss CoH  (Read 75430 times)

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
Re: I miss CoH
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2013, 06:29:29 AM »
I've logged into the Icon program at least once a day (and now seed the Beta client since I learned there was a difference, though I'm not a fan of torrents) since I got it.

I miss it too. My whole SG still does. Our first 'rebound' was SW:TOR, and that was... less than satisfying. We're playing The Secret World now, and while we enjoy it we inevitably gripe about team size, game mechanics, and travel options as the most obvious complaints. Whatever we don't like though, we inevitably end it (and reconcile) with the phrase "there's no place like home" as that's all there is to say on the topic. There just isn't.

Lyc~

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2013, 09:41:27 PM »
I keep seeing people posting that they're using the ICON client to load into CoH and then going to the Ski Chalet.  How is this done?  When I load into through the ICON costume creator, my alt loads out into Atlas Park and is stuck there. 

How can someone zone from AP into the Pocket D, and from there into the Ski Chalet?

Thanks for any help with this.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2013, 11:59:16 PM »
I keep seeing people posting that they're using the ICON client to load into CoH and then going to the Ski Chalet.  How is this done?  When I load into through the ICON costume creator, my alt loads out into Atlas Park and is stuck there. 

How can someone zone from AP into the Pocket D, and from there into the Ski Chalet?

Thanks for any help with this.

Paragon Wiki to the rescue!

Specifically:

Alpha Series

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 01:03:05 AM »
Very Simply: I miss everything you all have written, and I miss all of you.

Happy Holidays, everyone.
"You've started an interstellar war!" "No, I didn't start it. But I'm liable to finish it."

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 02:06:04 AM »
This was much more than a game!

This is so true, when my bestfriend died (we were bestfriends for 20 years). City of Heroes and the community was there for me. AE had just came out and everyone was farming it. An old friend of mine was on Agent Boiling Point. He was playing a fire/kin and asked if I had a Stone tank. I said sure, So I switch and face planted on every mob for hours cause my eyes where full of tears. He never said anything about it, he just keeped going. After about 4 hour with out him even knowing what was going on in my personal life. I told him I was sorry and I couldn't tank. He replied with that's fine, grab an alt and door sit if you want. After countless wipes and me majorly over pulling. He responded with that's fine, grab and alt and door sit.

Now without City of Heroes, every year on my bestfriends memorial. I just watch anime videos and cry. LOL!

That's what I miss the most. No matter what's going on in your life.  You could log in and like magic someone would always be there. You could have the worse day of your life, be completely un able to function and someone would say "Grab and alt and door sit if you want." No questions asked.

/em holdtorch

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 03:40:59 PM »
I miss the roleplaying that was actually good, especially with AE around, it felt like we got to play each others plots out, rather than trying to pretend, and then dealing with some tool who'd infinitely one-up everyone else because that, other, games freeform system makes them think it's ok to roleplay being on god mode.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013, 10:18:12 PM »
I too miss city of heroes, but in someway after all of my global friends left I never really recovered. (survivors guilt) that was abit of the end of me. but now I know I could have teamed up more and made new friends. I miss just logging in and watching the players just going about their business. :(
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2013, 01:29:13 AM »
I still stand by everything I wrote six months ago on this thread.

I also still miss City of Heroes.  With every other game I've played, it's been the situation where I could pick the game back up if I wanted (my home consoles and even some old DOS games), or I had made my peace with a game and cut ties to it (when Diablo deleted my level 45 Warrior while patching, I knew that was it for me; when I logged in to find GunZ no longer online after a few months away, it was just a brief "Meh" and done).

I didn't really get to do either of those with City of Heroes, apart from giving a fourth AE arc that gave a hopeful resolution to the story of Waddle the Penguin, of the PENGUIN Project from Crey Biotech.  I'd still be playing City of Heroes today if I could, as I think we all agree we would be.

I keep meaning to try Icon, but I keep hesitating.  Part of it's not knowing how I'll take logging in to an empty Paragon City.  Part of it's concern over, of course, the legality of the software accessing even a limited portion of the game.

All in all, City of Heroes was, and arguably still is, an amazing part of my life.  It's one I'd love to have back in full.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2013, 02:17:07 AM »
i tried Icon... I cant do it..

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2013, 02:18:21 AM »
Can't do it emotionally, or can't figure it out?

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2013, 04:46:33 AM »
i tried Icon... I cant do it..

You got further than I did.  I didn't even download icon.exe.  Couldn't bring myself to even try.  I really can't re-enter that world without all of you.

Those wounds run pretty deep.
No Surrender!

CoyoteSeven

• Boss
    • My Twitter
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2013, 07:34:24 AM »
I wonder if there is a way to get Icon to erm... you know... link several clients together so people can cavort online together inside the ski chalet...

I erm... I'm just asking for the game to come back, aren't I? Sigh.

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2013, 08:10:34 AM »
What I miss the most about CoH is all the things I was not able to experience.

Thanks to ICON, I was able to experience the ski slopes of the Pocket D Chalet for the first time.

Void Summoner hitting the slopes

Would be nice to have other players around. :'(
Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2013, 08:44:37 PM »
I've read the wiki-links for CoH maps, and I'm sadly still clueless.  I didn't see any in the map code-string listings for the ski chalet.   Help?

I did download the Icon mini-program, Icon 1.7.1.0, which is still in my 'download' folder.  From there I'm able to open the Costume Creator, and the load into Atlas Park.  But once in AP, of course, it's a closed-loop map.

Can someone give me more basic directions on what to do next?  I really would love to visit the ski chalet map again this month.

Thanks.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2013, 09:43:27 PM »
I keep meaning to try Icon, but I keep hesitating.  Part of it's not knowing how I'll take logging in to an empty Paragon City.  Part of it's concern over, of course, the legality of the software accessing even a limited portion of the game.
That's already been discussed here, more than once in fact.  You're totally in the clear - we have researched and established legal precedent for continuing to use software no longer supported by it's creator(s), and CodeWalker published the source code for Icon, to prove that it was independently developed from official CoH source code.  You're worrying about nothing for no reason.

Do you really think the police and an army of NCSoft lawyers are going to kick down your door for using Icon?  Seriously, this is "legal hypochondria" here.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2013, 09:50:01 PM »
I've read the wiki-links for CoH maps, and I'm sadly still clueless.  I didn't see any in the map code-string listings for the ski chalet.   Help?

I did download the Icon mini-program, Icon 1.7.1.0, which is still in my 'download' folder.  From there I'm able to open the Costume Creator, and the load into Atlas Park.  But once in AP, of course, it's a closed-loop map.

Can someone give me more basic directions on what to do next?  I really would love to visit the ski chalet map again this month.

Thanks.
1)  Enter "/loadmap_prompt" in the chat/command line.

2)  Enter the map code for the Ski Chalet...which I just looked for and can't find.  Tried to find the Tiki Room in Pocket D while I was at it, and no luck there, either.  Huh, I'll have to look around and see if I can find it somewhere.  The Pocket D arena is on the lists, however.  How odd.

EDIT:  See this post:
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7238.msg91876.html#msg91876

That might be it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 09:55:41 PM by JanessaVR »

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2013, 10:25:46 PM »
The Ski Chalet and Tiki Room are separate areas of the general Pocket D zone -- there is no separate map for them.

What should work is to load up Pocket D and use the alternate spawn point hotkey until you end up where you want to be.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2013, 10:34:09 PM »
Thanks, Blondeshell!   :)

Pearl Dragon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2013, 02:19:39 AM »

Whenever I select the origin ' City of Heroes Going Rogue ' before creating a toon, then try to enter the Going Rogue tutorial, I end up in the Chalet.  It has happened 3 times now.

Nyghtshade

• HERC Advisor
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2013, 04:01:14 AM »
Eureka!  Typing in to the chat window:    /loadmap [Map maps/City_Zones/City_02_04/City_02_04.txt]   
worked, and I loaded straight into the Chalet map. 

Thanks to everyone for your help!!  Now all I need to do is figure out whether it's possible to load a jingle-jet.   :-)