Author Topic: Shadowrun Returns Pre-purchase on Steam w/user-generated content editor!  (Read 2996 times)

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
From the Steam store page:
Shadowrun Returns Editor: Design your own stories and share them with the entire Shadowrun community. This is the same powerful tool the Harebrained level designers used to create the game. With it, you can construct new locations, characters, stories and elaborate tactical scenarios.

I hope this gets added to the Steam workshop too. I am so getting this!!! They've got a lengthy, commentary-filled (and funny to listen to) video on the store page too that's worth watching. Really highlights the kinds of encounters, traps and triggers that are possible with the game editor.

I never played any Shadowrun stuff before, but the look and feel of the game and skill-based progression makes it appear almost like the science fiction-y Ultima-style RPG I always wanted but never got. Combat is even turn-based and looks like it might be based on some kind of a D20 system. Advantages, effects, AOE spells, cover, etc.

Throwing fantasy creatures into a cyberpunk world could be really cool if done right. At first glance it appears they're doing it right. Of course, coming from City of Heroes, such genre-mashing is nothing new to us.

------------------------------
Unrelated rant:  :gonk:
On a side-note, speaking of Ultima, I just want to say how aggravating it is that Ultima Online never pioneered true UGC beyond house design, books and character bios. The first time I delved into an emulator, it wasn't to play for free but to take UGC to the next level. I learned how to create my own NPCs, dialogue boxes, and quests. In the first quest I created, an NPC in Britain sent you on some initial tutorial-ish errands (this was more to teach me than the players :P), then on a mission to kill a unique creature in a cave outside the city, where you discovered a body and a clue (a note), which led you to Trinsic to help the City Guard unravel a plot to destroy the city from the inside.

For those of you who played UO, WHEN DID YOU EVER SEE THEM DO ANYTHING LIKE THAT? But they could have. The whole time, the capabilities were there inside the engine. Sadly, the tools that allowed me to create my own quest had to be coded by players!

Ultima Online was never big on theme-park elements such as quests but I've since discovered how fun it is when developers drop theme park elements in the middle of a sandbox--and then allow players to build their own theme park elements.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
I put the UO portion of my rant (re-worded slightly) on the UO Stratics forums. Now to see them pick it apart and flame it into oblivion.

Nothing more jaded and crusty than a 16 year-old MMORPG community. ;D

GuiltTrip

• Underling
I fully expect Shadowrun Returns to be amazing, which is why I kicked in on their Kickstarter last year.  I am looking forward to playing the base game, as well as playing with creating and playing player generated content.  Having said that I figure it will be similar to AE, in such that even though there will be some amazing stories being told, you will run into a fair share of garbage while looking for them.

Harlequin565

• Lieutenant
    • Shuttercount - A Photography site...
Thanks for the heads up Cap!

I registered a while ago then promptly forgot about it. Anxiously awaiting release as I ran an SR campaign for 5 years from the 1st Ed hardback. With NWN PW design experience, I'm really looking forward to getting to grips with the editor. The videos on YouTube look pretty cool and the dialogue editor is very reminiscent of the old NWN editor. Just a shame it's a single player game at the moment.

I've had to dig deep (Google) to unwrap all my .wp Sharp Fontwriter shadowrun files so I can read them in modern software.

Very much looking forward to release.

-H

Sleepy Wonder

• Boss
  • MWM: Programmer, UI Designer, Bases
I've always loved Shadowrun. I remember picking up a novel from a bookstore by accident after having played the SNES game, and that's how I found out about the tabletop game (thought it was just a random SNES game, which struck me as rather unique at the time).

It's great that its back in the original creators hands though, after all these years. I think it was ahead of its time.

So for my first mission:

The year is 2060, and City of Heroes: The Matrix Edition is a reality (well, a virtual one anyway). Unfortunately, the game is no longer aligned with the goals of NCSoft, now an evil megacorporation despised the world over (you think by this time people would have learned something - they haven't).

It's now up to a small band of shadowrunners to take matters into their own hands.

There's only one problem: it's run by a dragon.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
For a short time I founded a Shadowrun SG :)

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
And for you hardcore SR fans.  SR5 should be debuting at Origins!

Another reason to show up!