Author Topic: When does it go away?  (Read 3054 times)

ahmpizzedoff

• Minion
When does it go away?
« on: May 22, 2013, 07:36:57 PM »
Just watched "Memories" by Evangel and it still causes a lump in my throat. The memories, the community, friends I no longer can "chat" with. Memories of teams, our SG and the "epic" battles we all joined in on. Missions, holiday specials. All gone. All greatly missed. Five months later and I still miss CoH. When does it go away? Never. I'll remember all these good things for a long, long, loooong time! :'(  :gonk:  :gonk:
Keeper of the toons from the SG, Sugar Coated Suicide, Freedom
Older'n Dirt and proud of it!

Cinnder

• Boss
Re: When does it go away?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 08:49:26 PM »
The last note of that vid when it slams to black actually gets to me even more than all the heart-wrenching scenes up to that point.

I'm missing the game terribly tonight.  Long work day.  Just got home around 9:30 pm after giving a presentation to a group of clinicians.  This was exactly the type of occasion where I'd play a mission or two to unwind from the day.

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 11:47:06 PM »
Find a new "home". It's difficult to move on and not an easy search - I spent a solid five months of wandering the vast array of Free to Play titles and reading reviews of Subscription based games. I tried Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Fallen Earth, Champions, Neverwinter, Star Trek...

Star Trek reminded me enough of the City that that is where I am staying. It's not about finding an exact match - nothing can ever replace the City - but it does help to have a "refuge". What that refuge is...only you can say.
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 03:11:44 AM »
Find a new "home". It's difficult to move on and not an easy search - I spent a solid five months of wandering the vast array of Free to Play titles and reading reviews of Subscription based games. I tried Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Fallen Earth, Champions, Neverwinter, Star Trek...

Star Trek reminded me enough of the City that that is where I am staying. It's not about finding an exact match - nothing can ever replace the City - but it does help to have a "refuge". What that refuge is...only you can say.

For me, after trying WoW, AoC, TSW, SWTOR, LOTRO, CO, and NW, it's single-player games.  They aren't a full replacement, but at least they don't offend me the way all MMOs other than CoH seem to.  :(

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 04:39:08 AM »
The pain associated with my memories of CoH will end when my memories of the 8-1/2 years I lived there end.

As far as finding a substitute MMO, the closest I've come to (even though I usually despise Fantasy MMOs) is playing a Controller Wizard in Neverwinter.  Combat has a clunky UI design, but the effects are great and make me feel like I'm actually (normally) controlling the flow of combat.  Hmm and Flight is a 6th level spell in D&D4... Where's my Flying Car!!!?  I mean, Flight spell?   :roll:

MaHaBone

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 03:33:45 PM »
I don't think it ever really stops hurting.  Not completely. It might wax and wane, but there's always going to be some part of you left behind.

I find its the worst for me when I try other games. It just reminds me of how woefully short they fall.

Someday someone will probably bundle up all these old PC games into some kind of emulator, and we might get to revisit CoH again, recreate our characters and revisit our favorite places and missions.

Or even better- someone with a clue will distill what made the game awesome, and use it as a stepping stone for an even better game that engenders the same affection and enthusiasm.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 04:04:44 PM »
It shouldn't go away. If it does, it means we no longer remember it. And that is just terrible.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 04:44:25 PM »
I'm missing the game terribly tonight.  Long work day.  Just got home around 9:30 pm after giving a presentation to a group of clinicians.  This was exactly the type of occasion where I'd play a mission or two to unwind from the day.

I realized this past Tuesday that -- almost six months after CoH was turned off -- that I was still unconsciously planning what I did after work on Wednesdays around the habit of getting home in time to be able to finish dinner before the Wednesday evening Hamidon raid on Guardian...

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 05:09:51 PM »
Just watched "Memories" by Evangel and it still causes a lump in my throat. The memories, the community, friends I no longer can "chat" with. Memories of teams, our SG and the "epic" battles we all joined in on. Missions, holiday specials. All gone. All greatly missed. Five months later and I still miss CoH. When does it go away? Never. I'll remember all these good things for a long, long, loooong time! :'(  :gonk:  :gonk:

Depends for some the memory never goes away fir some it fades away.
Like some people still tear up when talking about a pet dog that died when they was ten years old and they are now pushing 70. Others barely remember they had a pet at all that long ago. Some look back and can't help but to laugh and remember the good times and the stuff the pet got into during that time. Some don't give a hoot and go out and buy a new pet while others buy new pets they always remember each and everyone of the pets.

There is no standard of time dealing with stuff like this
 Just remember and deal with it in the way you feel. You know some people give their pets full fledged funerals with pall bearers a priest or minister or other high ranking religious figure and proper six feet under? Many view that as peculiar behavior but I see it as their way of dealing with it. Others just bury the thing in the backyard and think no more of it. That is their way of dealing with it.

No time limit. Quick way I seen help people get rid of I'll feelings is to find something they enjoy to take their mind off of it or try to remember the good times the funny times that make you laugh or something. Kr what ever works.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 06:28:51 PM »
Nothing can replace City of Heroes! Other  games only semi-fill a void. I will always miss my game!

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 08:05:55 PM »
Nothing can replace City of Heroes! Other  games only semi-fill a void. I will always miss my game!
I feel exactly the same way. I'm glad I'm not the only one who calls it "my game" or "my city"

I play other games, and our SG has found shelter in The Secret World for now, but CoH will always be our game to me.

And frankly, I'm glad it's not just 'us' that feels that way.

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 09:55:50 PM »
It won't go away until they let us back into our city.

Energy Aura

• Boss
  • Mids' "Data Entry Drone"
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 04:21:31 AM »
As soon as one of the "smart guys" on here gets a server back up and running. :D

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2013, 11:37:32 PM »
I just realized that this is the first CoX-less summer I've had in years
Not only am I stuck for something to do, but I want to cry.  Almost 6 months since the closure and I still miss our world. 
What do I do now?