Author Topic: New Shows for the fall from The CW  (Read 2802 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
New Shows for the fall from The CW
« on: May 17, 2013, 05:52:17 AM »
The CW - (Teen Sci-fi, Fantasy, Period) Romance channel.

The Tomorrow People - You all should be familiar with older versions of this series from Britain.  Sadly no Christopher Lee this time around.

Preview - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TDKDqoklEI
Clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsjejXi5mGg

Star-Crossed - Alien refugees land, look like us other than tattoo like markings.  First contact didn't go smoothly.  The survivors get quarantined and now a decade later the older children are being integrated at a local high school.  I guess they couldn't do a story about interracial problems in schools that would click with a nationwide audience so they are using aliens as proxy.  Meh.

Clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ-aYWzsmuI

The 100 - We finally blew ourselves up in a global nuclear war.  The only survivors were 400 or so people scattered on a dozen space stations in orbit.  After almost 100 years, three generation and surviving by hooking the stations together as well as using other materials found in orbit, the population is straining at nearly 4000 and resources are running out.  The rather scrict government decides to secretly send down 100 juvy prisoners to see if the surface can support life.  These are teenagers who have never seen a real tree or animal in their entire life.  I'm hoping for at least one SyFy mutant critter killing a few of them but in reality I'm expecting more mundane deaths.  With a potential cast of 100, plenty of red shirts to go around.

Clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNK5RkQ3F3Q

Reign - The teenage misadventures of Mary Queen of Scots.  Well not quite.  A period version of girl returning to where she grows up and meets boy she use to play with.  Toss in political intrigue by the adults.  Game of Thrones with less sex and no nudity and no dragons.

Preview - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVFDK9DES9U
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

beveri8469

• Boss
  • still inside atlas park hospital waiting to leave
Re: New Shows for the fall from The CW
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 06:56:30 AM »
dont forget bout the new vampire diaries spinoff, The Originals.
@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 07:47:27 AM »
Yea, but there were no clips or previews available.

All I can think of when I hear Mary Queen of Scots is a Monty Python sketch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmMD4ij8GHk

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 01:20:03 PM »
All I can think of when I hear Mary Queen of Scots is a Monty Python sketch.
I have the same "problem".
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 08:21:54 PM »
The 100 is scientific nonsense that gets my blood boiling. 400 people is not a diverse enough genetic base to sustain a viable population. Even assuming they were evenly split down the middle and everyone was fertile and young enough to beget heirs...it's not flipping possible!

Battlestar Galactica had 39,000 and some change and even they were hanging over the precipice of extinction!
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 09:17:16 PM »
Well, I recall reading some articles that a near extinction event in the distant past resulted there being as few as 2000 humans alive at one point, and we came through that. :D

And if we were down to 400 people, would humanity say, "Oh that's it. There aren't enough of us so we're going to just lie down and die?"

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 09:24:41 PM »
The 100 is scientific nonsense that gets my blood boiling. 400 people is not a diverse enough genetic base to sustain a viable population. Even assuming they were evenly split down the middle and everyone was fertile and young enough to beget heirs...it's not flipping possible!

Battlestar Galactica had 39,000 and some change and even they were hanging over the precipice of extinction!

But we don't know the rest of the backstory yet.  If the war was inevitable there's a possibility that frozen embryos, eggs and/or sperm were sent up to the stations and since this is the far future with 30-40 people per station, the age of female astronauts may significantly lower, like early 30s or even late 20s.

And we are only talking three generations here. 400 is a reasonably sized starting set, assuming the original crews were from all over the world, there should be enough genetic diversity along with some strict breeding guidelines to guarantee the surviving 4,000 don't end up like the Hapsburgs.  Multiple partners from different stations, etc.  Their problem now is the population capped at 4,000 with no room to grow further.  You really need lots of children from lots of different pairings with as few common relatives as possible to create a diverse breeding population that can go at it with out restrictions.

I think it's doable, it's equivalent to a small isolated population groups we can find today but with better technology and planing.

fdbryant3

• Minion
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2013, 02:23:41 AM »
According to the ever reliable Internet (because I'm really not going to dig that deep to prove this point) it has been estimated that you could set up a space colony with 160 people and have them produce 60-80 generations ~2000 years.  That of course does not take into account things like sperm banks or frozen embryos and other ways humans can alter the equation.

So enjoy the show, perhaps 400 isn't genetically diverse enough to save the human race, but it more than enough for their TV show.