Author Topic: Advertising in space!  (Read 3160 times)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
Advertising in space!
« on: May 08, 2013, 04:19:39 PM »
I have contacted a Dr. Phillips about the rates for advertising in space!

http://www.spaceweather.com/ go down the page to see the story! I was thinking of sending an empty box of the CoH game up! Then it will be the best super hero game in the galaxy - not just our planet. Trying everything I can think of folks!

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
Re: Advertising in space!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 03:33:56 AM »
well.....I tried contacting another Jack.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 12:36:32 PM »
We have a 4-tier pricing structure:

Ride-Along:  $300.  We will fly an object or (or collection of objects) weighing as much as 300 grams inside the payload pay to the Edge of Space.  Suggestions include sensors, photos, personal messages, sd cards, etc.

Banner: $500.  We will fly a greeting card-sized ad or message as large as ~5" x 7" held suspended outside the payload for photos with Earth in the background.

Premium:  $750.  For this amount we will fly an object weighing as much as 450 gm (similar to the weight of a running shoe or stuffed animal) held suspended outside the payload bay. 

Research Grade: $1250.  We can fly experiments weighing up to 1 kg in weight, either inside or outside the payload bay, with temperature, location, and vibration monitoring.

Would any of these interest you?  If your project doesn't fit cleanly into any of the categories above, let me know and we can come up with a custom price and payload-style to meet your needs.

Regardless of which tier you choose, you will receive the following:

(1) an HD video of the entire two-to-three hour flight, showing your product or message ascending over the Sierras, visiting the edge of space, and parachuting back to Earth

(2) a selection of digital still frames from the video suitable for printing and framing

(3) your actual product or card/banner, returned to you after it has visited the edge of space

Regards, Tony

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 01:24:26 PM »
Love this idea! Ready to send funds to both ad campaigns and/or start writing Google.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 02:08:21 PM »
How much does a cape weigh?  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 08:57:05 PM »
How much does a cape weigh?  :)

454 grams is a pound; if you're talking about the CoX swag capes, I'm pretty sure that they were only a few ounces; if you wanted to add a frame to hold it stretched open so you could see the logo, that would add a few more ounces; you should be able to stay inside the pound limit.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 10:16:22 PM »
Wow... it sure didn't take long before amateur weather ballooning got commercialized.

We've been tossing the idea of our own launch since December. Considering the fact that people can now pay to have this done for them, looks like the idea is about to turn extremely ho-hum.

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 01:29:18 AM »
I'll toss in a few bucks for this.
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Quinch

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 02:47:36 AM »
Likewise, I'd be willing to chip in.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 12:47:23 PM »
Wow... it sure didn't take long before amateur weather ballooning got commercialized.

We've been tossing the idea of our own launch since December. Considering the fact that people can now pay to have this done for them, looks like the idea is about to turn extremely ho-hum.

Tim if you want to do it - it only costs about $150 to launch our own. Right now my plate is full, overflowing actually - but I want to still help nearly 9 years of my life was spent with you folks.

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 03:28:38 AM »
I did a quick Google search for amateur weather balloon camera kits.  They're not cheap:  High Altitude Science, Sky-Probe.  These 2 examples cost $599 and that's not including the extra $200+ for the helium gas and tank rental, the $150 for the GPS service so you can find your stuff when it comes back to earth, or any additional science-y doodads you may want add to the payload. 

For a DYI effort, the only thing I see that you can save on is assembling your own payload gondola out of scrap, but all the other components would still have to be bought.

My biggest concern, though, is how far can your weather balloon drift?  It's not going to go straight up or straight down.  Would one need to track it across a couple of states and then sneak onto private property to attempt recovery?  Unless one of you is seriously into this as a hobby, ie more than my own idle interest, I'd say it'd be cheaper to pay someone else to deal with the hassle (assuming no extra charge for additional attempts until results are satisfactory).
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 04:51:52 AM »
 :D ??? :P :-X :-X :-\ :-\ :o ;D

I have an idea.. and it involves my technical skills... I can't say much all I can say is I'll have a hard time paying the electric bill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubs8DXddP3w
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 01:11:24 PM »
A lot of weather-balloon type experiments actually rely on good Samaritan and other such behaviors. They have a geo-locator, of course, these days, but they also have a note asking whoever finds it to mail the instruments back to a target address in order to get it back.

...which gives me an idea for a marketing device when the game is going live...

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2013, 08:33:21 PM »
What I have seen done is buy the cheapest track phone.

I will look for the site I once had marked on how to do the whole thing for $150

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 08:48:20 PM by Ironwolf »

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 12:12:28 AM »
I'd prefer to send up an NCSoft logo and video it burning up during re-entry.