Author Topic: Meh, Try Everything  (Read 3964 times)

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
Meh, Try Everything
« on: May 02, 2013, 05:06:29 AM »
http://www.wishingcrane.org/index.php/wish/1190

I did this a while back, not sure what everyone here will think about it. so I didn't post it initially.

oh well, just please don't whack me too hard for doing this. :P

I can edit the text and ammount needed if you want me to. I can also share the login info with the admins here.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
Re: Meh, Try Everything
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 12:09:21 AM »
What a neat idea! I don't know how effective this will be hehe, but your message was very sincere and it was nice to read. I see it has some votes too.  ;)

If you want I'll proofread it later, correct some errors and make it better to read (just grammar and spelling, not to change your message). And then post the text here for you to copy and paste. OK?

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 01:55:28 AM »
What a neat idea! I don't know how effective this will be hehe, but your message was very sincere and it was nice to read. I see it has some votes too.  ;)

If you want I'll proofread it later, correct some errors and make it better to read (just grammar and spelling, not to change your message). And then post the text here for you to copy and paste. OK?

Sure sounds great!

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 04:30:35 AM »
Have any wishes made there actually been fulfilled or is this "if this gets 1000 likes u will meet ur tru love in 3 days" the website?

Regardless, you got a crane from me. It was nicely written and refreshing to see in a sea of ME! ME! ME! wishes.
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 05:39:13 AM »
Have any wishes made there actually been fulfilled or is this "if this gets 1000 likes u will meet ur tru love in 3 days" the website?

Regardless, you got a crane from me. It was nicely written and refreshing to see in a sea of ME! ME! ME! wishes.

thats a good question, I had to go reading thier ToS and FAQ to find out, they elude to it in a vague sense;

They, will personally fulfil wishes that reach thier goal, however other people or businesses can if they like at any time fullfill a wish by getting in contact with the wishing cranes site and supplying the wish number while pledging they will personally donate that ammount of money.

a person using the site can donate 1 crane to each of 5 wishes a day. the crane is paid for by the site and is worth around 1-2 cents towards the goal.

why do they pay for wishes? the site is made as a internet website and marketing research website, the goal is to see how internet goers behave on different sorts of websites, bassically we are thier internet labrats, in return they will help fulfill wishes.

they said no matter how crazy the wish they will try thier best to fulfill it.

right now I set the bar for 80 million dollars, at 1 cent per day from say, 25,000 CoH fans (60,000 if we can rally everyone together)= $250.00 ($600.00) per day, at that rate it would take us; 320,000 days = 876 years... or (133,333 days = 365 years)

ok now remember thats for 80 million dollars, we could probably buy it for around $7,000,000 or so as that is the kinda money it would make per year. So; 28,000 days = 76 years... or 11,666 days = 31 years.

now don't be disheartenned cause we can always calculate backwards to find out the number of supporters we have to drum up to get the job done in a reasonable ammount of time (at which point if we wish to pursue this course of action we can then begin the drumming up)

lets see, 2 years x 365 for days= 730 now 7,000,000 divided 730 = 9590 dollars per day = wow we'd need to drum up 959,000 supporters who will keep at it every day for 2 years. but we can do that! there are over 7 billion of people in the world! we need 1/7000nth of the world population to support our cause. if we really go all out and hold venues and such I'm sure we can do it, and in the process we might just run into someone who has the money to fullfill the wish and is intrigued by our level of care for the issue.

so we have options.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 07:54:19 PM »
Yeah, thats good stuff and might even gets eyes on it of the sort that otherwise would have never come across the COX plight.

Yet there is that one great hump in the road that it would seem that even if we did reach 80 million or so is that it cant be done unless NCSoft wants to sell. Not under estimating the pull of wishig crane but I dont think them going over to NCSoft and saying "Hey, We are wishing crane and we have a wish to fulfill so you must give up that IP now." will work. Even if we found some person to give a big chunk of it.

I think they would have held up their end if they tried to talk to them but they dont seem to be a corporation and more of a marketing/research experiment. And all they have to do is "Hey, are you giving it up?" Ncsoft reply-"No."   Wishing Crane- "Well we did our job. Tough luck kid."

I'm not saying the wish is bad and that it wont work but it's ignoring the biggest resistance of why the the rights to the game and servers wont just open up like that. The owners dont seem to want to sell. If they were willing to, hell I dot think we would even need wishing crane. Unlike many obstacles and goals I dont think there is no way around getting that IP from NCSoft when they are not willing unless we have a very strong case to sue it out of them, which I dont think we do. Or we interest the government that NCSoft holding the IP is a risk to national security and should be in the hands of the players where it's safe and thus they will take it by force. But I dont think we can convince them of that either. Or lastly be a major stockholder with a big voice. In hindsight I think we should have as a community bought a bunch of shares from the start when COH first started and prices were relatively low.

If getting them to sell is a serious manner, then we should find a way to convince them to want to sell. So far it seems overall it's been about trying to get around that and that aspect has been all but given up on even though that is the main part of getting them to sell.  Being a terrible owner or a prick to the customers doesnt mean an owner loses their rights to their property. Or else really many people would be homeless and the owner of nothing. I can think of 28 off the top of my head in this desert town alone if it worked like that would have lost everything a long time ago. We are not the mafia mob or gangsters that can strong arm them or threathen them into a quivering mass that cause them to give it up like that. It's good to hope and wish but also we have to know our capabilities in a realistic manner and use our capabilities in the best way possible.

And that wish right there, brings attention. More attention means more potential supporters. More supporters means a greater pool of skills. And within that pool might be someone that know how to go about this in making NCSoft an offer that at leasts gain their curiosity. Good stuff Joshex.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 03:07:48 AM »
Ahhh! Sorry I got distracted. Here goes. I corrected spelling and grammar, changed a part of your introduction from past tense to present tense, reordered maybe a couple of paragraphs to make your ideas easier to follow, and then I switched to past tense for impact regarding the shutdown. I didn't rewrite your message, because your message is perfect. I did add a few extra clarifying words. This is a very genuine plea for folded cranes. I hope some people here remember to give it one every day.

I did add one line of my own to the top, as an introduction--sorry! And please trust in my spelling, I do this for a living sometimes. Rouge might be a word, but it doesn't describe every rogue!  ;D

=====START BELOW=====

Please fold a crane for a city of heroes. Not just for me, but for a few hundred thousand people. Let me tell you about them.

Not that long ago, in April 2004, the world saw its first super-powered massively multiplayer online game, "City of Heroes", where anyone could create the superhero of their dreams and face off against certain evil.

Soon after, for those after their own personal gain, a "City of Villains" was born in the fictional Rogue Isles, where players could create their very own villains. And recently, the dimensional barrier was breached to add a brand new city, the city of Praetoria. Praetoria exists on a parallel Earth, a world in-between right and wrong, allowing players to create rogues and vigilantes and to turn their existing villains into heroes and vice versa.

The game has come a long way since 2004. City of Heroes contains many player cooperation zones and player-versus-player zones and arenas. And the story isn't lacking; the developers have created many of their own heroes and villains, and interactive stories to go along with each. City of Heroes is truly a work of art, both visually and audibly, and the game has only gotten better over the years, with graphical improvements and many content updates. Best of all, the developers always look to the fans for new ideas, for costume parts, powers, stories and more.

Over the years, the game has brought in so many players that it needs a long list of servers just to handle all of the log-in requests. Many players consider the game a second home, or a place to relax after a busy day. Owing to its diverse range of allowed playing styles, some people even use the game to encourage themselves to get healthier and fitter! The game has spawned friendships, love and more, and a player community that was dedicated to the game through years of monthly subscription fees (before it joined the growing free-to-play trend).

Sadly, the original developers sold the game to another company, and that company decided to shut down City of Heroes and close its developer studio, effective November 30, 2012. That company, NCSoft, is holding onto the rights to the game so that no one else can continue on with it. They expect to be paid around 80 million dollars for those rights by any other company who wishes to continue the game. There is, of course, no such company as of yet that is willing and able to pay such an extraordinarily large fee.

Both heroes and villains, and the other-worldly Praetorians, have all lost their cities, their isles, their worlds, their second homes.

And so, I make my wish: please bring our cities back! Buy the rights to the game, and open up the servers. You wont be disappointed--there is a fan base who will make you a profit.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 03:23:54 AM by Captain Electric »

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 01:18:19 AM »
Ahhh! Sorry I got distracted. Here goes. I corrected spelling and grammar, changed a part of your introduction from past tense to present tense, reordered maybe a couple of paragraphs to make your ideas easier to follow, and then I switched to past tense for impact regarding the shutdown. I didn't rewrite your message, because your message is perfect. I did add a few extra clarifying words. This is a very genuine plea for folded cranes. I hope some people here remember to give it one every day.

I did add one line of my own to the top, as an introduction--sorry! And please trust in my spelling, I do this for a living sometimes. Rouge might be a word, but it doesn't describe every rogue!  ;D

=====START BELOW=====

Please fold a crane for a city of heroes. Not just for me, but for a few hundred thousand people. Let me tell you about them.

Not that long ago, in April 2004, the world saw its first super-powered massively multiplayer online game, "City of Heroes", where anyone could create the superhero of their dreams and face off against certain evil.

Soon after, for those after their own personal gain, a "City of Villains" was born in the fictional Rogue Isles, where players could create their very own villains. And recently, the dimensional barrier was breached to add a brand new city, the city of Praetoria. Praetoria exists on a parallel Earth, a world in-between right and wrong, allowing players to create rogues and vigilantes and to turn their existing villains into heroes and vice versa.

The game has come a long way since 2004. City of Heroes contains many player cooperation zones and player-versus-player zones and arenas. And the story isn't lacking; the developers have created many of their own heroes and villains, and interactive stories to go along with each. City of Heroes is truly a work of art, both visually and audibly, and the game has only gotten better over the years, with graphical improvements and many content updates. Best of all, the developers always look to the fans for new ideas, for costume parts, powers, stories and more.

Over the years, the game has brought in so many players that it needs a long list of servers just to handle all of the log-in requests. Many players consider the game a second home, or a place to relax after a busy day. Owing to its diverse range of allowed playing styles, some people even use the game to encourage themselves to get healthier and fitter! The game has spawned friendships, love and more, and a player community that was dedicated to the game through years of monthly subscription fees (before it joined the growing free-to-play trend).

Sadly, the original developers sold the game to another company, and that company decided to shut down City of Heroes and close its developer studio, effective November 30, 2012. That company, NCSoft, is holding onto the rights to the game so that no one else can continue on with it. They expect to be paid around 80 million dollars for those rights by any other company who wishes to continue the game. There is, of course, no such company as of yet that is willing and able to pay such an extraordinarily large fee.

Both heroes and villains, and the other-worldly Praetorians, have all lost their cities, their isles, their worlds, their second homes.

And so, I make my wish: please bring our cities back! Buy the rights to the game, and open up the servers. You wont be disappointed--there is a fan base who will make you a profit.

I'll put it up shortly, and again thanks :) once I put it up, the wish will be on hold for review, that can take a few days to a week sometimes. any edits and they need to have a real person look it over again to make sure it isn't saying anything that will incriminate someone.

ummm, ok... looks like they don't allow me to edit it any more.. * face palms at self* I will send them an email seeing if I can somehow gain editing privileges again.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 01:31:31 AM by Joshex »

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 03:24:28 PM »
OK, they removed the editing priviledges on all the wishes because it is a small group of rich market analysts no other staff, so every time someone edited a wish they would have to review it again personally, and some Unicorns were editing thier wishes to include inappropriate pictures and text.

however they did respond to me and will change the wish's text for me. I sent them the proofread text and the wish ID, should be up soon.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 02:08:44 AM »
Updated the site, Thank the Wishingcrane owners for changing the text for us (they don't usually do that any more) and thank captain Electric for the proof reading.

also sorry for triple post, and also According to wishing crane it says "approximately 200,000 cranes needed" when You put your mouse over the cranes lol, much less than 80 million is actually worth.

again I can change the price if need be just need a definite answer to what NCSoft will agree to sell for.