Author Topic: Any future games for the CoX refugee?  (Read 2145 times)

trexnco

• Underling
Any future games for the CoX refugee?
« on: April 29, 2013, 05:36:51 PM »
As a refugee of City of Heroes who misses it like crazy, are there any future games that look promising? Anything with the IP of CoH coming up?

doc7924

• Elite Boss
Re: Any future games for the CoX refugee?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 06:33:51 PM »
Not coming out with anything as far as I know but I have been freeplaying both DCUO and Champions, and while certainly neither is as good as COH in my opinion, it helps to get my super hero fix.

Of the two I like DCUO a little better, but Champions is more like COH.

Both have things I wish COH had and both are lacking things COH had.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
There are three different efforts to make a new game in the same vein as CoH, the various "Plan Z" projects. You can find sections dedicated to them on the titan forums.

SeaLily

• Lieutenant
  • green hair
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 06:43:16 PM »
As far as major publishers and developers go, nobody's making anything remotely similar to CoH for the forseeable future.  Or, if they are, they haven't announced their intentions to do so.

There are the two projects that started here on the titan boards (Phoenix Project and 'Heroes and Villains'), which are each taking their own seperate, unique approaches towards making something in the spirit of CoH both in terms of setting and mechanics, but both of those games are likely 3-5 years away at best.  MMOs take a long time to develop, and neither of these are being made by professional, full-time teams... just volunteers working when they can without much experience.

They're worth keeping an eye on, though.  As someone who's working as a 3D modeler/animator on Phoenix Project (which is not the game's final title), we've definitely got some cool stuff to show off... once it's ready for us to do so.  Which should be pretty soon.  ;)
green hair

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 07:31:37 PM »
They're worth keeping an eye on, though.  As someone who's working as a 3D modeler/animator on Phoenix Project (which is not the game's final title), we've definitely got some cool stuff to show off... once it's ready for us to do so.  Which should be pretty soon. 

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 08:48:53 PM »

Don't tempt me to make that an emote!

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 05:47:42 AM »
They're worth keeping an eye on, though.  As someone who's working as a 3D modeler/animator on Phoenix Project (which is not the game's final title), we've definitely got some cool stuff to show off... once it's ready for us to do so.  Which should be pretty soon.

Not to put pressure on your guys or anything, but I'd bet there's a lot of us out here for whom such efforts are the only ray of hope in a very dark, storm-tossed Sea of Bad MMOs.

Sonic Moonbeam

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 06:25:23 AM »
I played Champions Online with an SG mate. We had fun there but it just wasn't CoX.

We were able to get into the beta of Marvel Heroes and now that it is live and free to play, we are going to move there for now.
Just today, they added supergroups so maybe the game has promise although it has its launch issues right now.
"Listen to my Light~~~~~~~"

innocent51

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 08:11:03 AM »
Sorry to rez up this thread. Im looking for more feedback on DCuo and champion online to pick a game. I have hundred of hours on both game but havent played them since PSN hack (2? 3 years ago?) and none of them were half good as, RIP, CoH.

What is the situation now in term of novelty, PvP and PvE? What would be your pick?

okami

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 02:37:55 PM »
I can't tell you what's new and novel for you since I only started CO when the ax fell, but I can tell you that Tanker Tuesday does have a presence there, usually instance #2 of MC if it's not full at the hotdog vendor outside of the Champions building at 8 Central.

Vehicles have been added for outdoor use, to a meh or hate relationship, one event has had them as a free random reward, otherwise they need to be bought with zen or Q, can be traded until used and then they are account bound.

NWO seems to have taken most of the focus but there have been two new small events added during that time, no new permanent content though.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 02:51:41 PM »
CO has gotten some small attention lately - in the form of its own development studio - so maybe things are picking up.  I hope so.  (Certainly the long-awaited Telepathy revamp actually seems to be happening)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 03:30:16 PM »
I have been playing a lot of CO, but I'm only just getting close to 20 on my main. I subbed for a couple of months, and my old friend, alt-itis, reared its ugly head. One thing I have discovered in the course of setting up a blog, to document just how much you can get out of the F2P games without spending any money, as long as you give truthful info and a unique email address for each, there is nothing in the ToS for any of the games I've read through so far (CO, DCUO, MH, DDO) that prohibits multiple accounts. I currently have 4 in CO. :)

I really wish that I liked DCUO. The game play is a little clunky with a keyboard and mouse, but it was designed with a console controller in mind. I have one for PC, somewhere, but I can't find a Windows 7 driver for it. Also, the graphics are amazing, but the machine I play on, for being only a couple of year old, can't handle the settings where I could really enjoy that.

Marvel Heroes is Diablo III in the Marvel Universe. It's really pretty to look at, but I have to have my graphics settings turned all the way down to be able to play it. I haven't even bothered trying to install and play it on my laptop.

I don't know about anyone else, but I really got into SWTOR, for a while. I haven't been back since my Friday group started playing CO, "to scratch the super hero itch," but it's actually a pretty good game, even for free. There are a good number of people from here, plus the occasional CoH dev. Check the thread in Other Games.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

malonkey1

• Elite Boss
  • A person who does stuff.
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 03:39:29 PM »
Well, D&D online isn't bad, and I've heard good things about Neverwinter. I played DCUO for a bit, and while it had, honestly, more riveting fights, the harsh cel-shading and "YOU SHOULD BE PLAYING THIS ON THE PS3 RAGH!!" vibe that the control scheme gave me, as well as the fact that I had to pay if I wanted the most basic base features kind of turned me off. Plus, no falling damage? In what universe does that make sense?

EDIT: However, if you're looking for a more direct CoH analogue, you may want to check out Valiance, Heroes and Villains, and the Phoenix Project . Each of these are a long way from being done, but they are all worth looking forward to.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 03:48:47 PM by malonkey1 »
BadWolf: "The point that JaguarX is trying to make, of course, is that City of Heroes is like a tree. And Google is like a Toyota...Corolla...? Which would make NCSoft a trespasser, shot by...um, Mister T...which is good, because diplomacy...?"

The internet is full of Comedy Gold.