Author Topic: We're in a perfect storm. We need an advertising campaign now, this week, today.  (Read 28191 times)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
To be blunt and brutally honest, our chances of success with this advertising campaign (to actually get NCSoft to sell CoH back to Cryptic), are incredibly slim.  That said, these are for:

1)  The obvious, trying to bring some pressure to bear on NCSoft to sell CoH, either back to Cryptic, or heck, to nearly anyone else who will re-open it.
2)  It will keep us in the public eye.  Us fading away with time is exactly what NCSoft wants, but we must not let that happen.  This helps keep us an active thorn in their side.

Yes yes. I see.
Well slim chances, slim chances to win slots, slim chances to win lottery, slim chancesof getting noticed for you hard work and being promoted instead of the resident brown noser at work. But yet, people play slots, lottery rake in billions, and people still go to work and work their dang hardest. I dont think most of us, including you, are afraid of slim chances.

Those points are true. I think we may be able to create ad banners for all sorts of things and topics.
Like one that refers to the Call Jack thing, then links to the video during that section where it plays where Jack makes the statement and or they are saying MMOs should never die.

Or something like Killed before it's Time or something and have like an opening date and closign date on it

Or on a side note anyone thought about some Memes? People seem to like memes, and are especially useful for facebook.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
Maybe we should get really extreme and demand NCSoft "open source" CoX?

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
Never happen.  We need to stick to more realistic ad campaigns.  Even I, someone who hates NCSoft with the flaming passion of 10,000 suns and regards them as the evil empire of the gaming world, think they deserve a fair price for CoH when they (hopefully) sell it to someone who will re-open it.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
They might be willing to open source it for the right amount of money.

That might be the kind of Kickstarter campaign that we actually could do because it doesn't necessarily require any existing organization.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
They might be willing to open source it for the right amount of money.

That might be the kind of Kickstarter campaign that we actually could do because it doesn't necessarily require any existing organization.
We're not going to raise 8 figures in a Kickstarter campaign.  Moving on.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Demands usually dont work too well when the person/entity being demanded can refuse and unless we have an "or else" part that would make them think twice. I mean, seriously, for real, think twice.

As much as I hate it, they hold the chip. It's us that have to persuade them not the other way around. Assuming going for the selling of the game and or code or IP.

So pretend for a second, ya sitting in front of an old crock about 90 years old half way dead with this object, very rare object from the 1800s that you want. The only one in existance. The old crock is alone near dead but in his will it states that when he die and if he dont sell it by his death, the object will be destroyed. But only the old man knows where it is so killing him and stealing it wont work. And you love this object and this object you have grown fond of is about to be needlessly destroyed by lawyers who dont give a crap about this object when the old man croaks because to them it's another piece of junk that is owned by some old man. Persuade him. At this point money may or may not even be important to him so brute strength showing up with wad of cash may not work just like in the sell COX case.  How would you do it. Would you say "I demand you give it to me?" More than likely a cranky old man will either shoot you and say get off his porch or say get off his porch and then shoot you.  ;D

VyoletRose

• Lieutenant
2) We'd need someone to design the graphics, but--and this is the tricky part--it would need to not contain any IP from NCsoft.  I can almost guarantee you that if we include the City of Heroes logo, an image of Statesman, or anything else that is clearly recognizable as belonging to NCsoft, they would probably file takedown notices.  If someone could look at an ad and think that it was placed by NCsoft itself, it would be on extremely shaky ground.  While they're neat and I appreciate the effort, that would rule out all of these. 

Understand about the logo thing.

We can use screenshots, right? I don't think that's not under the IP umbrella *hopes*

Say if we were to do the suggestions, "Let us Fly Again!" or "Let us fly free, release the IP" - and I used screenshots of toons flying - would that be okay?
Save City of Heroes | http://www.ourcityofheroes.com/

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
Understand about the logo thing.

We can use screenshots, right? I don't think that's not under the IP umbrella *hopes*

Say if we were to do the suggestions, "Let us Fly Again!" or "Let us fly free, release the IP" - and I used screenshots of toons flying - would that be okay?
I don't think we should even do that.  If it came directly from the game or their website, we need to avoid it.  This needs to be original text and graphics.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
I don't think we should even do that.  If it came directly from the game or their website, we need to avoid it.  This needs to be original text and graphics.
I second that can I get a third and a motion for the passing of this amendment?
ooops sorry wrong forum. :D

Yeah I agree.

Quinch

Do various versions of the AP33 logo work?

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
Do various versions of the AP33 logo work?
Actually, I don't see why not.  That was an original creation by someone on our side, last I checked, who gave us permission to use it as needed.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
I believe we need to petition Congress for a letter of Marque and become Pirates!

Then we can legally just copy the game!

VyoletRose

• Lieutenant
Worked up some new samples / new art. Each style is sized as: 120x578, 160x578, 336x269, and 728x79.

Let me know what other wording/art you think should be included in the design - or if you have new ideas for headers :)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:38:59 AM by VyoletRose »

VyoletRose

• Lieutenant
Maybe add a familiar red stripe? Signifies both sides, nods to our signature fallen hero...

« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 05:38:20 AM by VyoletRose »

Quinch

Ooh, I like.

But we probably also need variants aimed directly at NCsoft with a "Call Jack" message.

Tanklet

• Boss
I -love- these. They're simple & straight to the point.

Lucretia MacEvil

I really like the "another way" and "re-form" banners, but I'm a bit hesitant about the "could your game be next?" message.  It seems like it would be too easy for -certain people- to use that message to paint us as fear-mongers and paranoia-spreaders. 

Also, the red stripe is the "what was missing" that I wondered about when I looked at the first ones.

Way to go VyoletRose!

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
I really like the "another way" and "re-form" banners, but I'm a bit hesitant about the "could your game be next?" message.  It seems like it would be too easy for -certain people- to use that message to paint us as fear-mongers and paranoia-spreaders. 

Also, the red stripe is the "what was missing" that I wondered about when I looked at the first ones.

Way to go VyoletRose!

All of this. I wasn't able to articulate it without sounding critical. But, the red stripe, for me, also evokes The Statesman, punctuated nicely with the broken star. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

jeangray

• Minion
I really like how to the point the "Could your game be next?" is....but hadn't crossed my mind to think about the fear-mongering angle.  It is really powerful.  I also like the re-form banner.  The another way one feels vague, maybe too vague to get clicks.  Heck, I've been here lurking and posting for months now and I'm not sure it'd catch my interest to click it to be honest. 

Altogether though, I think you totally nailed the design (the red line makes a huge difference, I was pleasantly surprised to see) and, truthful, if we actually all can mostly agree on this I'm excited to think we might be able to have something by the anniversary!!!!  I have zero idea how long it takes (for me it'd be a while-a long while!) so thank you for taking the time to work on making (and re-making) these banners VyoletRose, very nice job!

VyoletRose

• Lieutenant
Cool. I miss the game too and am very happy to help.

Here are the revised banner designs. Sans the "...could be Next" series, for now...

Should we also have a "NCSoft, Call Jack Emmert" one? Don't want to speak for him, although Jack did say it in passing. Still fuzzy if we should promote it.

Also, I'm dipping my toes into the waters of web development and web design. If we wanted to have a starter page for these links, I could make some page mockups. My coding is still basic, but I could try to get something drafted up. If anything, I could work up a design and someone more speedy and code-savvy could build it.

Just let me know! Thanks gang!