Author Topic: Coming next season to a broadcast network near you...  (Read 1612 times)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
Re: Coming next season to a broadcast network near you...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 10:57:33 AM »
Man, everyone's always big on dystopia ... wish people would create a show about the future that doesn't suck. You can still have drama and danger in such a future without the whole world being a cesspit.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 02:52:44 PM »
Man, everyone's always big on dystopia ... wish people would create a show about the future that doesn't suck. You can still have drama and danger in such a future without the whole world being a cesspit.

I think reality set in somewhere between the 70's - 80's.

We had space keeping us excited for a while, as we sat back and waited for the explorers to solve everything from cancer to hunger. But we've reached a point where even light-speed looks unattainable. And competitive business has completely abandoned 'better' in favor of 'cheaper,' becoming a hindrance to progress instead of a boon. Technology often only gets developed if it can be used to reduce the number of workers needed to perform a task (thereby destroying lives in the process).

Sure, you 'could' do a drama in a Jetsons world, but few would watch it. The psyche of the audience would just dismiss it as childishly naive.

TV shows are also bound by the 'cheaper' vs. 'better' rule. A crappy future is easier to depict because you can go into any modern city and shoot it with minimal changes. 100 might go beyond this though, depending on how they depict the spacecraft. Something positive? Most of it would have to be fabricated (or modeled for a virtual set, and therefore it's more expensive).

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 03:40:41 PM »
I'm noticing more Superhero shows as well.
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!