Author Topic: TODAY ONLY [April 9] Curious about comics? Grab over 700 FREE first issues.  (Read 2999 times)

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 08:43:53 AM by Captain Electric »

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
Cool!  Thanks for the heads-up!

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
My pleasure! And just a few hours left to sign up folks!

And just to remind you and 100 or so lurkers, starting on or around the 11th (check your email for details), you'll have 48 hours to grab your comics.

One good way to plan your shopping spree is to go to Marvel.com > Comics > Shop Digital Comics and just browse around. There's a section in there called New to Comics? and another one called Collections that are good places to start. The Storylines category is also a great place to get an idea for what kind of reading you can expect from individual characters comic books.

For instance, do ya like Joss Whedon, director of Avengers, Firefly, Serenity, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, and the list goes on? Did you know he also writes a crapton of comic books in his spare time? Here's an example from a blurb in the New to Comics section for Astonishing X-Men, Volume 3 (67 comics), written by Whedon: "Astonishing X-Men takes the style of the X-Men movies, mixes it with the wit of Buffy and holds it together with the classic flavor that made the X-Men famous. This is the perfect comic for new readers, old readers, returning readers and learning readers. It's just that good."

The X-Men have always been kind of an isolated series in the Marvel universe, but you can also explore pretty much any of the New Avengers or Uncanny Avengers (or Avengers members individual titles like Invincible Iron Man and Captain America), or Superior Spider-Man. Or Amazing Spider-Man, Volume 2 for classic Peter Parker, starting anywhere from issue 600 (good round number in recent years).

All of these same sections and categories are also on the Marvel app for iOS and Android. The Marvel app is half the reason I bought my Android. It zooms the reader cleanly from panel to panel, scene to scene, just like the website, and is a much more enjoyable way to read comics for me than old-fashioned rags.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
If you signed up for this, then you should probably log in and claim your comics before 2:00 PM CST today; earlier to be safe (but I'm basing this on when I got my email--they might have staggered mail-outs, so check your email, you could have longer).

I just bought 414 comics for $0, including a bunch of annuals.  :P

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
That was fun...
I didn't end up with quite the horde you did, Cap, but I did pick up a few new things to read. I still prefer my comics in "dead tree" form over-all, but you can't beat freebies.  8)
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
Well, never got the e-mail to notify me.

So I apparently get boned again.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
Gah...that sucks. Did you check spam?

That was fun...
I didn't end up with quite the horde you did, Cap, but I did pick up a few new things to read. I still prefer my comics in "dead tree" form over-all, but you can't beat freebies.  8)

Yeah I went a little nuts. But I WASN'T just grabbing everything in site. I went for a lot of modern collections and tie-ins, as well as a bunch of famous first issues and annuals. I was coming here to list all the issues listed in my "receipt" from Marvel but now I'd feel like a jerk after what happened to Hyperstrike.  :(

Numerology

• Underling
That is really quite an exciting way to advertise the genre, well done to marvel.

As much as I enjoy DC, marvel does a much better job at promoting its material both in the trade collections and through ideas like this.