Author Topic: Admissions -- Did and Didn't Do  (Read 5993 times)

Ellscry

• Minion
Re: Admissions -- Did and Didn't Do
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 09:25:31 PM »

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 10:24:51 PM »
I was almost ready to unsubscribe for the 2nd or 3rd time in August.  I'd resubbed after 3 months with Age of Conan in 2011, and the disappointing launch of Star Wars The Old Republic in January 2012.  Most of my friends had stopped playing, though two were still subbed.    Then the i24 change list  came out and I was really excited to see some of the changes and I was glad I'd paid for the extra month.    Then three days later NCSoft made their announcement.

I probably played every day after that point.  I got two characters from mid-30s to 50, and then went on and got 5 more level 50s before the end.   Everybody was teaming up and it was so easy to find big teams, or high level teams to level my lowbies.   I was never much of a doorsitter, though, and still fought as much as I could.   I tried to share the wealth, too, when I was higher level. 

I made one AE mission early on, the Mad Mud Men of Monster Isle.   I may not have ever even published it.

I think I'd done every TF except ShardTF3 (protector of kindess?), mainly because two friends were crazy badge hunters, so I had lots of opportunities to tag along.

A lot of my time logged into the game was buying and selling IOs to keep my characters in peak fighting trim.   Probably enough to be called a min/max'er, althought I only really ever went crazy with that with my electric melee/shield scrapper.   Which I mostly used to help level friends, but for inf and drops, some, too.

24 of my 33 fifties had incarnate powers.  12 of them had more than 5, according to a quick search through the titan sentinel files.

I loved the idea of Hami raids, but was often disappointed because I'd get there after all the monsters had been farmed for INSPs.

Guilty admission: Once into the center of the ship in a Rikti Mothership raid, I'd spam AoEs.  Tab, AoE, tab, AoE, tab, AoE, tab, AoE, just to max out the vanguard merits.   Then I'd buy vanguard heavies and never use them.   :/

I miss my bases.  Two big 8, maybe 10 million prestige bases, one with the big power plant.   1 medium sized one, and several other smaller ones.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 11:44:42 PM »
1. Winter Lord 1.0 - I sat there in Kings Row farming them while the level 1 on my other account made massive xp.

2. I had to nagigate 8 RWZs because there were so many people farming with MMs because of the MM pet bug allowing for the farming of level 5 GMs with with level 48 pets with level 1 MMs. Yes, each 50 took less than an hour.

3. Rikti Monkey Level 25 Farm - Yep I solo PLed from 1-50 in 4 hours. Did this a few times for the lulz.

4. Spiderdroid level 25 farm - Yep did this a few times. Too funny

5. CEBR - Legal "farm" did this on a couple of servers.

6. Warburg - hide in the building to farm PVPIOs  :P

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 01:22:33 AM »
Oh.  I guess I could add a 'did' on this list.  Yes, I may be just a little too obsessed with it, but whatever.

I did manage to run a completely solo, all outdoor sweeping, no missions, no teaming, Brawl only/WP Brute to 50 and go Incarnate with the Alpha Slot.

/But y'all are sick of hearin' about it, so that's cool.  Just figured I'd stick it on the list. :)

Megajoule

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 05:21:10 PM »
Never Hami-raided.  (Shortly after the announcement, I was invited along on one, but it didn't get past the first stage.)  Never slotted a HO.   I kept waiting for the day when everyone who'd stuck bits of a malevolent evil blob into themselves in the pursuit of More Power was taken over and became thralls of the Hamidon.

Farmed all of three times.  The first was shortly before Issue 2, when I had less than a month in the game and was invited along to keep a demon-farming team bubbled; it reminded me of Gauntlet, brought my poor minimum-spec video card to its knees, and almost caused me to outlevel an arc I desperately wanted to do on that character (which, in my brief panic, I considered "punishment" for my "sin").  The second was grinding candy canes - not for myself, but so that friends could get halos.  And the last was a disposable character on Freedom, made just for an event that awarded an account-wide badge, because That's What You Do On Freedom.

With the above exception, only ever played on Virtue.

Was one of the first batch of Taxibots on Virtue (Taxibot Gamma), back when the Hollows was deadly and there was no cross-town transfer in Steel or easy access to iCon.  Still very proud of this one.

(I believe) I ran every TF in the game at least once, including original Posi and Dr. Q.

Optimistically bought up to 8 AE slots, only ever used two.  I had at least two other ideas, but was too discouraged by then by what it turned into and how the Devs abandoned and neglected it (after first trying to fix it with a large hammer).

Had several characters with SO-only builds.  My first character even had her classic, pre-ED build preserved in one of the auxiliary slots.

Unlocked a Kheldian at 50, didn't play one for months due to lack of inspiration/concept.

Got every one of my 18 characters to 50 by the end, including one who I only started a week before the announcement.

Got to play VERB and the Spirit of the Row.

Saved the world.

Flew.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
Did: During the period when the Mitochondria lightning would arc as long as there was at least one other valid target in its range i brought the lightning to Talos Island and Atlas Park on two separate occasions on the Virtue server. For the most part i tried to keep it arcing between my character and a Police Drone since i didn't actually want to get other characters killed, especially lowbies, but i was highly amused by the reactions to the dancing, end-sapping, minor-damage-causing lightning. i also used to run the respec trial and sewer trial at least partially to amuse myself with those temp powers afterward as well. There was something very amusing about shooting mobs with the particle cannon.

Have fun with teleport queuing before it was fixed. Basically it was possible teleport with an attack power queued and the attack would trigger as if at the pre-teleport position. Best with PBAoE and snipe attacks. Sniping a mob with range slotted teleport and snipe caused some amusing behavior. Generally teleport-queued attacks were a risk free way to fight, but the reward in terms of xp/min was also very low compared to actually fighting normally.

Try to be helpful and see the bright side of any situation in game. Generally if someone asked for help in game and i wasn't in the middle of a TF or other teaming activity i would help to the best of my ability. Although rude and antagonistic players would generally be treated with sarcasm and snark.

Didn't: Find any amusing ways to break the game that weren't fixed reasonably quickly. i always reported any bugs or exploits if i could reproduce them often enough to have some surmise as to how they were triggered. Of course things like geometry holes were the simplest, but there were a few really odd power and critter glitches that were both very entertaining and difficult to reproduce. At least for me since most of my knowledge of the combat engine was from observation and experimentation with relatively little knowledge of the underlying code.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2013, 03:26:31 AM »
I had no idea Heroes could gang up on a Rikti attack Ship and defeat it like a Pylon in Vanguard.
I saw videos of this on Youtube....ahhhhh!!! >:(
I would have tried to form a Team and do this.
....Least I never heard anyone  in Infinity asked to try this. Perhaps being zapped so badly deterred anyone from going near them.

Steelclaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2013, 02:45:01 PM »
Did Do...

* Deleted and restarted all my characters, regardless of level, at least 10 separate times during my career.

* Played every day my house had power.

* All told had more memory in my computer dedicated to City of Heroes Spreadsheets tracking my Tournament progress than I did the actual game.

* Got a hero 50 and a villain 50 for the sole purpose of being able to play EATs and VEATs then promptly deleted both when they removed that requirement.

* Obsessed about getting every Alignment Point I could mathematically wring out of game.

* Spent $50 a month beyond my subscription fee in the game store on costumes, powers but mostly those danged Card Packs.

* Longest single, sit-down, only-bathroom-breaks CoH session?  20 hours.

Didn't Do...

* Never played the Statesman or the Lord Recluse task forces.

* Never got a Controller, Corrupter, Soldier of Arachnos, Dominator or Kheld to 50th level, although all of them were on the list to do so prior to the game shutting down.

* Never got a developer/red name to put me on ignore in sheer self-defense.

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2013, 02:56:58 PM »
Did:

* Get about half a dozen 50s at or near max Incarnate (etc.).

* Got MoSTF on a Stalker. Kinda proud of that one.

* Play most every day, save for one brief unsub about two years ago when I'd become completely burned out on the gameplay. Came back after about three months...and it was my only non-subbed period since three weeks after the game went live, which was when I started playing.

* Solo 13 AVs on the above-mentioned Elec Melee/Nin Stalker (w/ no Shivans/Nukes). Um...she had a stupidly expensive, maxed-out build, need I add?

* and much more. Eight years of good times...

Didn't:

* Do all the TFs. Only missed a couple, though...

* Powerlevel or farm in AE. Not condemning either practice...I was just never in a hurry to get characters to 50.

* Get a Kheld to 50. Got a 'Shade to 46...then somehow completely ran out of momentum with her.

* Warm up to Masterminds. I recognize how effective they were, but I just never liked playing them much. It wasn't the complexity (I'm a big fan of complicated powersets, actually)...just never resonated with me.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 03:11:28 PM »
DID:  I did play since one week after launch, never unsubbed, even when I was out of work a couple of times (I had my priorites straight).

All the TF's including redside (as far as I know, I was not a redside sort of player) and Dr. Q on my main (Penelope Pistol).

Got all the badges I could before the end on my main (954).

Did win the PERC CC (Justice Server) for 2010 and got to run around for 6 months with "Ms. Justice 2010" over my head.  That was great.

Did every CC that was announced.

Made so many characters, had so many ideas that I was known on Justice for making a new toon a week (and people would give me a hard time when they saw I got one to 20 because I had altitis bad).

Took over 50 fraps videos after the announcement, some over an hour long.

Took over 500 screen shots.

DIDN'T:  I don't know, at this point, I don't think its important to me.  I had a great time during my 8.5 years.  And the great memories I have.  One day, I hope and wish I can play again.

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2013, 06:43:44 PM »
Did:

Rack up over 8,000 hours on one character, but still didn't do every TF in the game.
Love playing a blaster but had more Defenders at 50 than Blasters.
Dual-box to self-PL one toon... Doing real missions with the toon on follow.
Write and publish 3 AE story arcs, one of which was an AV-fest called "Training Day".
Dual-box many times to roleplay two characters at once...
... and every time I did I spoke as the wrong character at least once.
Get a Master of badge by accident on a TF.
Petition every IP-violating toon I came across.
Get killed by the PvP confuse bug.

Didn't:
Get Hybrid on any character.
Manage to do a MoSTF despite numerous attempts.
Want the game to ever end.
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.

Twi

• Connoisseur of Fine Imports
  • Lieutenant
  • Defender
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2013, 04:12:56 AM »
Never did a Hamiraid and I'd been playing since before CoV's launch.

Never used Mids. Or, rather, never built a build in Mids. I used Mids to yank out the builds I had made and post them on forums. Actual building was done in notepad.
I am a defender and so can you.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2013, 12:04:35 AM »
Never used Mids either, and there were a few taskforces I never tried even at eight years. *sigh*
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2013, 12:35:57 AM »
- I spent more time in Character Creation then I did actually playing the game
- I "Power Leveled" The Rewards Program feature by (literally) throwing money at the game, simply so I could get access to the Mecha Costumes...which I proceeded to never use.
- I still leveled in The Hollows and Perez Park even after the Shining Stars arc was introduced simply for nostalgia
- Never went on a Hami Raid
- Never did any Incarnate Content
- All the years playing the game, and I only had one character reach Level 50. It was my first character - a Dark Melee/Super Regeneration Scrapper. I created him right out of the gate and learned the game through him. He dinged Level 50 a week before the announcement in 2012.
- A unrepentant Altaholic
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

Ultrarocket

• Underling
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2013, 03:21:29 AM »
Played almost since the game came out, had two accounts. Forgot the old one so I ended up making a new one.

I never thought I'd be able to get a lvl 50, but ended up with 4.

I still went to the Hollows till the last year. Something about frostfire and those missions that I really enjoyed.

There would be periods where I did ITFs almost every day. I also loved Katies!

I tried making some COH videos, my most favorite being City of Heroes Rises on youtube.

My favorite heroes were Tanks and Controllers.

I remember playing till like 3 or 4 in the morning or waking up a little early to get a couple of extra hours in.

Hejist

• Underling
  • @Ghostchase
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2013, 10:59:37 PM »
Did - take far too many breaks, often months at a time(never once dropping sub fees).
Did - spend far too long killing GMs
Did - be one of the 1st to grab THRW badge.

Didn't - get a chance to hug most of the peeps I love and respect IRL - looking at you Ammon and Kis.
@Ghostchase - M15F1T fire/trapper