Author Topic: Admissions -- Did and Didn't Do  (Read 5982 times)

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
Admissions -- Did and Didn't Do
« on: April 07, 2013, 07:25:05 AM »
I spent much of tonight (early am here in MDT) on the board and thought I'd make some admissions to see how much my experience might match others...okay, I just couldn't sleep.

1) I played almost every day.
2) Contrary to most people here, I found the updates and new content coming faster than I could master or was even comfortable with, even though 1).
3) I uploaded three stories in AE, never had a great following, especially since I didn't revise them when the whole thing was tweaked.   They weren't necessarily hard, nor were they farms.   They were STORIES.   I was very proud of Save The Puppy! though, and the humor of it.
4) I never did ALL the taskforces.
5) I never maximized my main and squishy toon, a mind/empath controller (try soloing HER for a while...and I could never give her up -- Risha on Virtue)
6) I only achieved the very first incarnate level with 2 toons, near the end of the game.
7) I never got the hang of Hami raids (mainly because of a bug a couple of times I played it).
8) Yes, I DID jump right into a mob and aggro it and nearly killed everyone and then lied by saying I hit the R key by mistake.  (ok, that's been weighing on me)
9) Yes, I hit the R key by mistake too many times to count.

That's all for now.
Robin
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 07:36:07 AM by Risha »
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Re: Admissions -- Did and Didn't Do
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 08:14:52 AM »
Not only did I *not* play every day, I occasionally went months without ever logging into the game - despite being on the forums nearly every day.

I didn't finish any stories for AE.  I started a couple and the interface irritated me, and then when I went back later to finish them I was going to have to start them all over due to updates killing what I'd done so I gave up.

I don't think I did all the taskforces.  For the most part I didn't like the ones I participated in and didn't seek them out because of it.

I wouldn't say that I "maximized" any of my characters, though I did get to max level with a few.

I actually advanced pretty far into Incarnate abilities with my Elec/Energy blaster, though I didn't get the highest tier with any of them simply because I found the requirements for it ridiculous.

I only did 2 or 3 Hami raids in the entire time I played the game.  I didn't like them at all.  I liked the mother ship raids a bit more, though some of the enemies at the final fracas for it were annoying and some of my characters would get dropped so many times that it was disheartening and I'd give up.

And I can say that I never accidentally hit the R key simply because I wasn't playing with the keyboard and mouse.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 08:29:30 AM »
I rarely played the last couple years of the game. I spent more time on the forums and the wiki than in-game. However, I deliberately played enough to make sure that I kept abreast of mechanics changes and most content. I did have to verify other wiki editors' updates were made in good faith!

My main character (Empathy/Archery/Power Defender) spent levels 41-47 in RV, with a Longbow heavy, farming pill boxes for exorbitant amounts of XP. I picked up Grant Invisibility because I found it hysterical when villains would attack my poor widdle Empath - Grade A Fresh Meat - and a Fortituded, Adrenaline Boosted, Leadership pool'd invisible heavy would unload on them the instant they attacked me. I managed to get the 100 rep badge that way. ;) To this day, I don't feel bad at all even though I was called every name in the book by sore losers.

My main character was still decked out in 90% HOs when the game shut down. She didn't have any significant Incarnate progress. I loved how she played as she was, and didn't feel the need to push her. It would have been nice to get the team buff, but it was mostly just icing on her already-perfect cake.

Speaking of HOs, my favorite time in the game was the time just before and just after the Hami change, when Aggelakis would play Tank Emp for the raid. Rarely she was part of the healing blanket, but mostly Tank Emp because it was slightly more active. It's there that I met and enjoyed the company of those crazy people on Justice.

I had four 50s. One of them was my ex's, so technically I had three 50s. One of them was leveled 75% of the time through a level pact, so technically I had two 50s. I probably deleted over 300 characters. At the end of the game, I had around 100 characters, plus a large litter of level 1s to 5s who were name camping or failed ideas. I knew the game under level 20 like the back of my hand. I could probably guide people through a low level map - even the "puzzle piece" randomized maps - without looking at the monitor if they described it to me.

I never did all the task forces, but I am currently engaged in the world's longest Dr. Quaterfield. I joined a handful of my friends on a Q just before the lights went out. Aggelakis is still kneeling, weeping, at Q's feet, four months and a week later. I don't know if she's weeping because of losing her world, or if she's weeping because she has to be helping Dr. Q forever.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 09:33:48 AM »
I played every day unless RL seriously intruded, usually for several hours from July 04 to shutdown, I must have logged 20K hours probably more, the only period I was not online was when a mechanical digger went through my cable connection and the cable company took ages to fix it.

I enjoyed the new updates, but played enough to keep pace.

I played in AE but didn't write, both farming (in the very late days of the game only) and playing stories.

I did every TF and trial in the game, most of them at least 10 times (I had maybe 80 toons with TFC), but never finished UGT.

I had around 85 50s (out of 250 ish toons), about 40 alpha slotted, and maybe 12 52/53s, I got my first hybrid power in the final week.

I did a few hami raids (they tended to be 2am my time), I also bought a load of dam/rng HOs dirt cheap in the early days of the AH and outfitted my nrg/nrg blaster with them. You should see what insane fun it is (with boost range) when you can not only snipe a nemesis sniper from out of his range, but hit him with your T2 from out of his range as well.

I also used to farm the old posi TF for merits in a little over an hour.

On a fairly early double XP weekend, got the SG together and basically ran a team 1-50 on normal non repeated content, mainly TFs. My toon hit 50 in 40 hours of play, although some of that was in WWs.

I made upward of 100BN on the auction house, mainly buying recipes/salvage and crafting IOs, although it was funny in the early days of I9 to be able to buy a stack of 10 50 common IO recipes for 100K and vendor them at 1M.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 10:59:41 PM by Minotaur »

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 12:02:38 PM »
I played pretty much every day when I was playing, although I took a couple of three or four month "burnout breaks".

I had one 50. ONE. Altitis is a cruel mistress. Although I suppose it didn't help much that I spent hours at a time in the tailor, hours at a time editing the SG base, hours at a time superjumping around looking at scenery, hours at a time planning shopping lists and crafting enhancements, and hours at a time goofing around in Atlas waiting to spot new players that I could give money and advice to.

I had a bunch of ideas for AE arcs I would have written, if only AE hadn't transformed so early into something that left a bad taste in my mouth.

The bad taste AE left in my mouth was 90% due to yanking away all those badges I had collected. I wasn't farming or grinding them either, I was honestly trying out and enjoying different people's stories. That single event, losing all those badges at once, is what killed my interest in both badging and AE. I very much enjoyed badging until that terrible day. And the stories in AE were worth sifting through the farms to find; again, until that day, after which it was a good year before I even set foot inside the building again.

I ran a grand total of three and a half task forces the entire three and a half years I was playing. I finished Sister Psyche, the original Positron, and Katie Hannon. I also did the first half of the new Positron, but the group I was running with didn't meet back up for like two weeks, and by then I was into one of those several-month burnout breaks, and when I returned from that those other players had left and I didn't see them again for a good month, and by then I no longer gave a crap about finishing a half-year-old task force.

I bought up several hundred sets of event salvage right after halloween when they were dirt cheap, specifically so I could give away a set of them to anyone I wanted, anytime I felt like it. Before Freedom I also had stacks of Tech Wings and Hand Grenade recipes, and the salvage for them, sitting in Wents so I could show new players the basics of the invention system. I wanted them to feel less intimidated if they felt like trying out IOs later.

I always begrudged Freedom just a tiny bit, for making it so hard for me to give things to brand new players. Between them not being able to trade, not being able to craft, and not being able to send messages directly, it got pretty difficult to be an effective welcoming committee. I understood why they made those changes, but still, I was enjoying that.

Tommy2Toes

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 02:24:58 PM »
I hated tanks other than pre-nerf fire and ice tanks.  However, I loved the play style of a squishy tank.  So I'd min/max almost every single AT in the game, spending well over 200B in influence, to use IOs to create squishy tanks.  Some surpassed tank players (until the RNG kicked in) in acquiring and holding aggro. 

Most recently, when the Time set came out, I had a MM and a Corrupter that would put most tanks to shame while still doing insane damage.

I honestly haven't played a single tank AT since issue 10, but remained a tanker with bite for the history of the game.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 03:11:51 PM »
I written a few no-farmed missions. COmmon complaint in the comment boxes left by other players-Not a farm. So upon reading that I created 5 more non-farm AE arcs.

I didnt quit the team because I was pissed you kicked the newb. I quit the team so that I can go help the newb out before he join another team and frustrate them and get the idea that COH players are not friendly.

I didnt care if you lived or died or over aggroed. I cared about the mish but if keeping you alive is the way to complete the mish effectively then I'd keep you alive. Besides that, you can die hundred times for all I care. Each man is responsible for their own actions.

I didnt talk much on teams from 2005-2009 At the beginning hi, at the end good job and leave. Not that I'm unfriendly. I'm a natural introvert and thus unless someone spoke to me at the time I didnt speak to them.

Hated waiting for that guy to switch over and rather go without but my word is my word and I said I'll wait.

Never used mids or forum to build a build. I built on the fly and what fits me and playing style.

Only posted 5 times in forum ever. None since 2008. But I seen what went on there.

Always played what I felt for fun and not payed attention to stats or FoTM. I even had a WM character when it was considered gimped. But I liked it.

Kept up my sub until the very end although I didnt play since 2011.

Neutral towards ED and post ED.

Only played one toon a step beyond 50. The rest was immediately retired once 50 was reached some deleted.

Never used an IO.

Never bought anything off the market. I scoffed at the prices of most items even though I had more than enough to buy what ever the hell I wanted to buy. The principles man, the Principalities.

Didnt mind the old Positron TF.

Thought Synapse was a bumbling imbecile.

Only ignored one person in my entire stay in COX.

Didnt mind PuG in fact kind of prefered them. More relaxed friendly and usually not farm oriented in most cases. And I understood not everyone enter the game pure experts or even experts after playing a while.

Didnt mind level 50 AE babies. Goes back to an earlier point. I'm responsible for my own life. 

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 03:44:25 PM »
Sort of roundabout, but bear with me.

I was playing Borderlands on Friday with my Friday night group, and I kept running too far ahead with my commando and getting myself killed. One of the guys commented on it, since he always ended up being the one to rez me, to which one of the other guys responded, "I'm sorry, has it been that long since City of Heroes?"

It got to the point where I was deliberately charging around blind corners with my corruptor/blaster and aggroing the next mob(s), just to mess with the other guys, particularly the tank. I even got to the point where I would forget myself and do it while soloing or, worse, while teamed with other players who didn't get the joke.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 05:42:19 PM »
My main had over 930 badges without any side switching, though she did start out in praetoria.

I played pretty much every day I could once I came back the last time. Even built a personal SG base on an alt. Gray counters. Shudder. Stacked so many...

Ran every trial, every task force. Ran every Shard TF in one weekend. Solid ground felt... unnerving for awhile outside of instances. Main was also Super Speed for reference and I've never been good at navigating the shard. So that meant jetpacks...

I tanked on my Elec/Elec brute every single run of the MoLAM. I gave instructions for the whole thing and did my best to keep everyone positive. I died to one Nova Fist in the proccess to show even I couldn't take 'em that well. Then I popped electric form and took the next one just fine. May not have taken Nova Fist on purpose.

Got every "defeat x" badge for i23 out of mission exploring the landscape shortly after it launched, though the first badge I nabbed was Stargazer.

Got an Master Of The Lady Gray task force my first time trying for it. I'd never even been on a Lady Gray before when invited, but we'd just run a Master of Imperious so it seemed like we could do it. I had been awake for about 32 hours when we got to miniHami. Felt like I was going to have a heart attack.

Missed out on a MoSTF which went great because of RP...and then the person signed off. I will always be a little angry about that.

I tried for Master of the Underground no less than 10 times before giving up on the bomb badge. The last time someone was autorunning and walked right into the last bomb. I couldn't bring myself to go through that 2 hr dungeon crawl for one badge to fail again.

I'd debated for a long time sideswitching Red just to grab villain pools for my main to smooth out her electricity. If i24 had hit, I would have due to recoloring.

I leveled a Peacebringer to 50 during a dxp weekend, staying up for 32 hours straight at the end to do so. That number and awakeness happens for me a lot it seems! I'd first rolled a Kheldian when I hit 50 on my Elec/Dev blaster back in i12 on the original incarnation of my main. I'd played it to level 15 or so and then drama pulled me away from CoH. Never having played a PB past 35 before I didn't know how awesome they get, and still really regret she never got to become my main. I even made my first build in mids for her and had saved up 12 or so purples.

While none of my AEs on their own were anything to take notice of, I'd been starting to run weeklyish adventures for my supergroup. Things were just starting to get hinted at and nudged into the open, and other things still just seemed like funny coincidences when the end notice came and with such low turnouts to everything I couldn't bring myself to spend time making more.

I ran so many iTrials, often leading them after I got confident, that I had 12 of every incarnate salvage at the end and over 900 threads. Doing weeklys helped with that admittedly - had to get the badge!

I'd never completed an original Positron due to mobs in kill alls glitching into walls ending every run previous due to group dispersion or frustration.

I was that person at the unity rally telling everyone to shut up about telling everyone to shut up because the event was all of ours, not just Tony's. You rock Tony, and I felt that at the time, just felt with that many people gathered everyone should get to say something if they wanted to.

I used to spend a ridiculous amount of time running around whatever area it felt like my main should have been spending a lot of time in. After she was looking into moving to Overbrook and getting her own place I must have spent hours running around the place. In the end, on her blaster-alt I flew around for hours. Woke up today really missing my old runs around Steel.

Spent time learning the 'real' names to things so my character wouldn't just be calling things Faultline or Eden. Spent time on Paragonwiki reading little bits of world history so my main didn't get called out for not being well aprised of hero-history when it had been her driving force for so long.

Only ever completed one Hami Raid. Would not do again. Just wasn't fun. Reminded me too much of my Lady Gray to boot.

Nothing else really big occurs, except badge hunting was really fun, even if I'll admit eventually I broke down and installed the map overlay.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Samuraiko

• Honorary Paragon Dev and
  • Elite Boss
  • EVERYONE LOOK AWESOME - I'M FILMING!
    • The Wandering Crane
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 06:24:28 PM »
I honestly think I spent more time filming than I did playing. And I played a LOT, which is saying something. (Not quite every day, but close.)

I deliberately made characters for powerset pairings that people said would never work, just to try and prove them wrong. (Though I never made a petless mastermind. That's just off the map.)

I loved writing AE missions. I also had an AE mission that was SPECIFICALLY for filming, called The Sound Stage.

More often than not, I ran missions or arcs or whatever (and used Ouro) so I could film on particular maps.

I was PROUD of the fact that my grav/kin didn't have Speed Boost, Inertial Reduction, or Increased Density.

I helped invent the Atlas Park 500 Lobster Racing and Council Skeet Shooting.

I once made Dr. Aeon (the dev) rather irritated with me because I demo-recorded a cutscene to try and figure out who the villain of the piece was based on the model name...

I didn't consider a mission a success unless I'd died at least once.

Michelle
aka
Samuraiko/Dark_Respite
The game may be gone, but the videos are still here...
http://www.youtube.com/samuraiko
http://cohtube.blogspot.com

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 06:39:37 PM »
Infinity Server:
I played EVERYDAY except when I visited folks on vacation and that one time my computer died and I had to build another.
..Took me couple months;needed to upgrade anyway.15" CRT, Dual Core CPU, and Win 2000.  :roll:

I would play hours on end-'Butt-numb-a-thons' on Weekends when I first got CoH. I was amped, also I guess being older, I appreciated the game technology.

I created 3 AE missions. I liked them but none of them became popular, just a few nice comments.

I had 3 Level 50's, I tended to get attached to my toons and not delete them unless I was really dumb in their build. Guess I deleted 4 toons....One was Generic'd, I admit my mistake.
I was ignorant on IO's, Recipes for a couple years..I crafted but didn't understand advantages of pairs, and families of IO's...s :o

I later used MIDS to assist me in building my Healer, it helped. I wasn't ashamed to ask for help from players. I was proud of my Healer the last year or so, could Rez heroes very fast and I got invited a lot as my reputation got around. 8)...course I spent Billions for top of the line 'Recipes' She was very very squishy but never needed to Battle on Teams.

I played just about every major TF, there were many obscure ones I never got to. People often didn't want to play TF's they never heard of. 'Ernesto Hess' was my favorite TF.

Only once did I purposely arrive 'late' to Heal a tank. The moron said some trite comment previously
and I let him get a beat down from the enemies.....I still slept that Night :roll:

I tried switching Servers a few times. Felt lonely and returned to the 'hood'. :roll:

Can honestly say I got the most from my subscription.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 07:24:50 PM »
I would play hours on end-'Butt-numb-a-thons' on Weekends when I first got CoH. I was amped, also I guess being older, I appreciated the game technology.

*snicker* Love that name for it! I had a few of those myself at first too ;D

Oh shoot, I remembered a couple more:

I only started playing just before Issue 14 dropped, and I either didn't know yet, or completely forgot, that you could change your own difficulty levels. So for the first few AE arcs I played, I would send the authors comments like, "I really enjoyed your arc! But it could use a bit more challenge at the end. Try replacing the lieutenant in the last fight with a boss." *facepalm* :-[   To their credit though, nobody ever told me off for it. It was about half no response, and half "Oh! OK thanks, I'll keep that in mind!" *sigh* The people there were so forgiving to wee nooblets. It was beautiful.

It was a complete accident that I picked Virtue as my server. I was shy back then, and my computer was only middle-end. So of course I had to go and pick one of the most populated servers around. The one that made me lag just by walking through Atlas Park during a costume contest, and the one where anyone who looked interesting to talk to thought I was starting up a roleplay session just because I said hello. So Virtue became my ingame "home" for over three years, all because the first day I logged in, I liked that name the best. :roll:

Man, I'm having a blast reading all these!

Intone

• Underling
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 09:03:48 PM »
Played many hours a week since summer of 2004, a couple of months after the game went live. Took a few month-long breaks over that time, but pretty consistently played.

Never made it through all the TFs, though.  Not sure why.  If I had it to do over, would make it a point to do so.

I did play all the incarnate trials when those were launched.  I thought they were great fun and helped breathe fresh life into the game.  Was there anything better at the end of a long and intense work week on a Friday evening, than sitting down with a refreshing adult beverage (ahem) and running a BAF or one of the other itrials?  No, I didn't think so.

Loved the art improvements made to Atlas Park and other zones toward the end.  Sprucing up the place made me feel even better about helping save the city every day through the heroic deeds of my many characters.

Really enjoyed the special events, such as Halloween.  Trick or treating for adult superheroes is fun!

Learned to accept the strange stares from friends and strangers when they overheard my good friend who introduced me to COH originally -- Snopes on Protector (aka Mr Bunny mainly at the end) -- and I discuss COH strategy while at lunch or some other public place in RL.  We'd be talking in total COH lingo, and then realize it would come across as complete gibberish to anyone listening.  Hilarious.

Lived for double XP weekends.  Didn't go marathon like some, but certainly spent long, long hours powering up special toons.

And yes, I both subscribed my entire time and also would buy extra "stuff" when micro-transactions were introduced.  I mean, hey, it just fun to buy a "super pack" (not sure if that was right name?) and turn the cards over to see what I'd "won."  Simple, silly fun.

Did I mention that I really, truly miss City of Heroes? 

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 09:58:06 PM »
There were Task Forces and Strike Forces I never saw and Trials I never joined... mostly becasue I absolutely hated being on a "regular" team of 6 or 8 people.

I loved soloing and running duo, and had great fun with big, multi-team Leagues. I didn't mind being part of a smaller group of three or four, either. But there was something about the way most "standard"-sized teams worked that just made me want to log off and go do something else, no matter which character I tried to bring along, who the other players were, or what missions we ran. I've never been able to pinpoint exactly what it was that made me so uncomfortable with them, but even after years of trying to get past whatever the issue was, the feeling never went away. Sometimes I did it anyway, because I wanted a particular badge, or I needed to FRAPs or screenshot the run, or because a friend really wanted to do Task Force X and needed a warm body to fill out the numbers requirement, but it was never the Great and Glorious Thing to me that it seemed to be to so many others.

I also topped out at 900-and-something badges on my main badge-collector, because I was *just* enough of a role-player that I couldn't imagine Palrah (Who was always the total goody-goody, boy scout type in my mind-) even considering doing some of the things he'd have had to do in the Vig and Villain alignment missions. They just weren't "him", so I wasn't willing to make him do them...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 10:09:10 PM by Brightfires »
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 11:30:44 PM »
I did play all the incarnate trials when those were launched.  I thought they were great fun and helped breathe fresh life into the game.  Was there anything better at the end of a long and intense work week on a Friday evening, than sitting down with a refreshing adult beverage (ahem) and running a BAF or one of the other itrials?  No, I didn't think so.
City of Heroes helped me get away from -ahem- 'Adult beverages'.... :D
....NCsoft might make me return.  :'(
Loved the art improvements made to Atlas Park and other zones toward the end.  Sprucing up the place made me feel even better about helping save the city every day through the heroic deeds of my many characters.

I  didn't  at first...But after getting used to the changes.......yes, Atlas did need more Chrysanthemums.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 11:50:48 PM »
I'm just gonna confess that I never did all the task forces.  Never been on Posi before the split.  Never been on a Dr. Q.  Ever.  That sort of thing.

And the why is it was sort of like David Lightman.  "I always thought there was gonna be plenty of time!... I really wanted to learn how to swim!"

:(

purplemanwolf

• Underling
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 12:56:59 AM »
played almost every day with a few breaks of a week or so here and there stayed subbed since first few months of game.played on champion server my main had 1395 badges when game went down.had around 30 50s all ioed out.had alpha slotted on all and maybe half of em were plus 2 or 3.have done every tf/trial and incarnate trial in game many times including dr q.enjoyed helping new players when i could and played with many diffrent people throughout my years of game play.enjoy readin everyones comments and thank everyone for being on this site.dont post often but really miss the game and friends i made in game.have tried many of the other games out atm including dcu and champions online and just cant get into any of em so hoping for an eventual ressurection or the upcoming plan z projects.enjoed playing with teams i knew and with pugs as well.my favorite toons were my ma/sr scrapper and stalker, my ws and my beast/storm mm but liked almost all of my toons  alot.have used titan for tracking badges for years and now for info on savecoh and wish to thank them for running this site and allowing me to be part of it.

Optimus Dex

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 01:36:38 AM »
I spent much of tonight (early am here in MDT) on the board and thought I'd make some admissions to see how much my experience might match others...okay, I just couldn't sleep.

1) I played almost every day.
2) Contrary to most people here, I found the updates and new content coming faster than I could master or was even comfortable with, even though 1).
3) I uploaded three stories in AE, never had a great following, especially since I didn't revise them when the whole thing was tweaked.   They weren't necessarily hard, nor were they farms.   They were STORIES.   I was very proud of Save The Puppy! though, and the humor of it.
4) I never did ALL the taskforces.
5) I never maximized my main and squishy toon, a mind/empath controller (try soloing HER for a while...and I could never give her up -- Risha on Virtue)
6) I only achieved the very first incarnate level with 2 toons, near the end of the game.
7) I never got the hang of Hami raids (mainly because of a bug a couple of times I played it).
8) Yes, I DID jump right into a mob and aggro it and nearly killed everyone and then lied by saying I hit the R key by mistake.  (ok, that's been weighing on me)
9) Yes, I hit the R key by mistake too many times to count.

That's all for now.
Robin

I played everyday, it took me 3 years before I had a 50. I had over 80 alts when the game was shut down. I had 8 50,s 3 of which had good stuff.
 I never did all the taskforces or even a Hami raid. I did quite a few Mothership raids. I still had things I wanted to explore in the game.
AE was intresting for me I had 3 stories with custom foes and only one of my stories got a fair amount of play. I admit to doing the AE farms to get thru the 40's - to me that seemed to take forerver. I kept a log of how long I played to get to 50. My first was acrapper 458 hours. My slowest was 612 hours . My fastest was 108 hours but he was mostly played on teams.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 04:56:09 AM by Optimus Dex »

Menrva Channel

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 03:26:50 AM »
Did:
-Dr. Q TF--finally learned why it was infamous.
-Got four of my 50s the first four Incarnate slots.
-Got two 50s Hybird.
-Only got one 50 maxed incarnate on the first four.
-Have over 36 alts. (I ended with about 36 on my home server.)
-Play the main "six" TFs as well as ITF. Did almost all of the SF on Red side.
-Cathedral of Pain--several times.
-Hami raids and Motherships Raids.
-Sat on Warburg beach several times just for the heck of it. (I always pretended to troll the long bow flying around the hero point with my main villain. Wasn't caught. :))
-Escort my hero friends around Siren's Call on my primary villain/rogue.
-Crossed the line several times for vig/rogue and had my true blues and true reds.
-Farmed AE but preferred the AE story arcs. My favorites were Two Tickets to Westerly and Phantom of the Abyss. (Or... at least that's as close to their names as I can recall. Those arcs ROCKED.)
-Made an AE arc of my own.
-Got a grand total of seven 50s.
-Uninstalled the game with a week left--only to reinstall/download it the next day to finish with the game.
-Made two alts specifically to "leave" behind--their names were Hope (Blue side, actual name was Undying Light) and Memory (Red side, actual name Reminiscence). (Was shocked I actually got both names on Victory Server.)
-Had toons on multiple servers but rarely left Victory except for special events, such an invasions or Unity Rallies.
-Was in Atlas 17 or so on the famous rally where we spawned AP33.
-Broke 1 billion influence two times on my primary rogue who was my lucky influence alt.
-Had maybe a grand total of 10 purple drops total over the ten years I played.
-Play all the Incarnate Trials.
-Do Army of Me--multiple times.
-Stood with a torch Victory Server under the statue of Atlas when the plug was pulled.--And then cried the rest of the night.
-Play all the squishies. I loved my back up and support--but even my tanks were went squish.
-Created bios for most of my toons and also several fanfics.
-Had a love/hat relationship with Manti. (Seriously, I swear he knew when I was on my main rogue...) And Scrappy. I swear he had my IP. I always had to be on the look out in Sharkhead.
-Rejoice when the markets were joined.
-Play almost every day.

Didn't:
-Never got the bomb badge in the MoShip Raids but got close.
-Never finished Rocketman on my main villain. (I think I got 4/10)
-Never went full circle (hero->vig->villain->rogue->hero or vice versa). Always wanted to.
-Revised my one AE arc which I really liked. Or made it sequel.
-Never got my one hero to 50 (Bio Bane). I had to stop at 47 and delete her. I took out my entire alt army before the end. I didn't "want NCSoft to get them". (I prefer to think I took them with me and couldn't leave them behind.)
-Never hit 2 billion on any toon.
-Never got over 700 badges on any toon.
-Never got a MoTF/SF on any toons. Got very close on a Cuda once and one of the members fell asleep. We were in the final battle (I think first ambush) and we lost it. Still steamed about that. ;)
-Get through all the new content. My biggest regret is leaving so much of the new Dark Astoria and Nightward unexplored. I always thought I'd have time to experience it... and then... I didn't.
-Missed a lot of the newer zone material outside Atlas and new TF/SF.
-Did Army of Me with 8 Masterminds, despite desperately wanting to.
-Never got a ski badge.
-Never got into the HEAT, tried both VEATs. They weren't my style.
-Had that kick ass toon that could solo AVs. -.- (One, I just wanted ONE!)
-Realize that it was possible to lose the game--and that it could hurt this much.--I still miss it. :(

adarict

• Boss
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 06:56:40 PM »
I started playing right before I3 came out.  I played pretty much every day, with a few breaks here and there.  I had only 4 level 50's, and I have NEVER run a Respec trial on any character ever.

Ellscry

• Minion
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 09:25:31 PM »

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 10:24:51 PM »
I was almost ready to unsubscribe for the 2nd or 3rd time in August.  I'd resubbed after 3 months with Age of Conan in 2011, and the disappointing launch of Star Wars The Old Republic in January 2012.  Most of my friends had stopped playing, though two were still subbed.    Then the i24 change list  came out and I was really excited to see some of the changes and I was glad I'd paid for the extra month.    Then three days later NCSoft made their announcement.

I probably played every day after that point.  I got two characters from mid-30s to 50, and then went on and got 5 more level 50s before the end.   Everybody was teaming up and it was so easy to find big teams, or high level teams to level my lowbies.   I was never much of a doorsitter, though, and still fought as much as I could.   I tried to share the wealth, too, when I was higher level. 

I made one AE mission early on, the Mad Mud Men of Monster Isle.   I may not have ever even published it.

I think I'd done every TF except ShardTF3 (protector of kindess?), mainly because two friends were crazy badge hunters, so I had lots of opportunities to tag along.

A lot of my time logged into the game was buying and selling IOs to keep my characters in peak fighting trim.   Probably enough to be called a min/max'er, althought I only really ever went crazy with that with my electric melee/shield scrapper.   Which I mostly used to help level friends, but for inf and drops, some, too.

24 of my 33 fifties had incarnate powers.  12 of them had more than 5, according to a quick search through the titan sentinel files.

I loved the idea of Hami raids, but was often disappointed because I'd get there after all the monsters had been farmed for INSPs.

Guilty admission: Once into the center of the ship in a Rikti Mothership raid, I'd spam AoEs.  Tab, AoE, tab, AoE, tab, AoE, tab, AoE, just to max out the vanguard merits.   Then I'd buy vanguard heavies and never use them.   :/

I miss my bases.  Two big 8, maybe 10 million prestige bases, one with the big power plant.   1 medium sized one, and several other smaller ones.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 11:44:42 PM »
1. Winter Lord 1.0 - I sat there in Kings Row farming them while the level 1 on my other account made massive xp.

2. I had to nagigate 8 RWZs because there were so many people farming with MMs because of the MM pet bug allowing for the farming of level 5 GMs with with level 48 pets with level 1 MMs. Yes, each 50 took less than an hour.

3. Rikti Monkey Level 25 Farm - Yep I solo PLed from 1-50 in 4 hours. Did this a few times for the lulz.

4. Spiderdroid level 25 farm - Yep did this a few times. Too funny

5. CEBR - Legal "farm" did this on a couple of servers.

6. Warburg - hide in the building to farm PVPIOs  :P

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 01:22:33 AM »
Oh.  I guess I could add a 'did' on this list.  Yes, I may be just a little too obsessed with it, but whatever.

I did manage to run a completely solo, all outdoor sweeping, no missions, no teaming, Brawl only/WP Brute to 50 and go Incarnate with the Alpha Slot.

/But y'all are sick of hearin' about it, so that's cool.  Just figured I'd stick it on the list. :)

Megajoule

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 05:21:10 PM »
Never Hami-raided.  (Shortly after the announcement, I was invited along on one, but it didn't get past the first stage.)  Never slotted a HO.   I kept waiting for the day when everyone who'd stuck bits of a malevolent evil blob into themselves in the pursuit of More Power was taken over and became thralls of the Hamidon.

Farmed all of three times.  The first was shortly before Issue 2, when I had less than a month in the game and was invited along to keep a demon-farming team bubbled; it reminded me of Gauntlet, brought my poor minimum-spec video card to its knees, and almost caused me to outlevel an arc I desperately wanted to do on that character (which, in my brief panic, I considered "punishment" for my "sin").  The second was grinding candy canes - not for myself, but so that friends could get halos.  And the last was a disposable character on Freedom, made just for an event that awarded an account-wide badge, because That's What You Do On Freedom.

With the above exception, only ever played on Virtue.

Was one of the first batch of Taxibots on Virtue (Taxibot Gamma), back when the Hollows was deadly and there was no cross-town transfer in Steel or easy access to iCon.  Still very proud of this one.

(I believe) I ran every TF in the game at least once, including original Posi and Dr. Q.

Optimistically bought up to 8 AE slots, only ever used two.  I had at least two other ideas, but was too discouraged by then by what it turned into and how the Devs abandoned and neglected it (after first trying to fix it with a large hammer).

Had several characters with SO-only builds.  My first character even had her classic, pre-ED build preserved in one of the auxiliary slots.

Unlocked a Kheldian at 50, didn't play one for months due to lack of inspiration/concept.

Got every one of my 18 characters to 50 by the end, including one who I only started a week before the announcement.

Got to play VERB and the Spirit of the Row.

Saved the world.

Flew.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
Did: During the period when the Mitochondria lightning would arc as long as there was at least one other valid target in its range i brought the lightning to Talos Island and Atlas Park on two separate occasions on the Virtue server. For the most part i tried to keep it arcing between my character and a Police Drone since i didn't actually want to get other characters killed, especially lowbies, but i was highly amused by the reactions to the dancing, end-sapping, minor-damage-causing lightning. i also used to run the respec trial and sewer trial at least partially to amuse myself with those temp powers afterward as well. There was something very amusing about shooting mobs with the particle cannon.

Have fun with teleport queuing before it was fixed. Basically it was possible teleport with an attack power queued and the attack would trigger as if at the pre-teleport position. Best with PBAoE and snipe attacks. Sniping a mob with range slotted teleport and snipe caused some amusing behavior. Generally teleport-queued attacks were a risk free way to fight, but the reward in terms of xp/min was also very low compared to actually fighting normally.

Try to be helpful and see the bright side of any situation in game. Generally if someone asked for help in game and i wasn't in the middle of a TF or other teaming activity i would help to the best of my ability. Although rude and antagonistic players would generally be treated with sarcasm and snark.

Didn't: Find any amusing ways to break the game that weren't fixed reasonably quickly. i always reported any bugs or exploits if i could reproduce them often enough to have some surmise as to how they were triggered. Of course things like geometry holes were the simplest, but there were a few really odd power and critter glitches that were both very entertaining and difficult to reproduce. At least for me since most of my knowledge of the combat engine was from observation and experimentation with relatively little knowledge of the underlying code.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2013, 03:26:31 AM »
I had no idea Heroes could gang up on a Rikti attack Ship and defeat it like a Pylon in Vanguard.
I saw videos of this on Youtube....ahhhhh!!! >:(
I would have tried to form a Team and do this.
....Least I never heard anyone  in Infinity asked to try this. Perhaps being zapped so badly deterred anyone from going near them.

Steelclaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2013, 02:45:01 PM »
Did Do...

* Deleted and restarted all my characters, regardless of level, at least 10 separate times during my career.

* Played every day my house had power.

* All told had more memory in my computer dedicated to City of Heroes Spreadsheets tracking my Tournament progress than I did the actual game.

* Got a hero 50 and a villain 50 for the sole purpose of being able to play EATs and VEATs then promptly deleted both when they removed that requirement.

* Obsessed about getting every Alignment Point I could mathematically wring out of game.

* Spent $50 a month beyond my subscription fee in the game store on costumes, powers but mostly those danged Card Packs.

* Longest single, sit-down, only-bathroom-breaks CoH session?  20 hours.

Didn't Do...

* Never played the Statesman or the Lord Recluse task forces.

* Never got a Controller, Corrupter, Soldier of Arachnos, Dominator or Kheld to 50th level, although all of them were on the list to do so prior to the game shutting down.

* Never got a developer/red name to put me on ignore in sheer self-defense.

Dollhouse

• Boss
  • "What will happen? Will I dream?"
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2013, 02:56:58 PM »
Did:

* Get about half a dozen 50s at or near max Incarnate (etc.).

* Got MoSTF on a Stalker. Kinda proud of that one.

* Play most every day, save for one brief unsub about two years ago when I'd become completely burned out on the gameplay. Came back after about three months...and it was my only non-subbed period since three weeks after the game went live, which was when I started playing.

* Solo 13 AVs on the above-mentioned Elec Melee/Nin Stalker (w/ no Shivans/Nukes). Um...she had a stupidly expensive, maxed-out build, need I add?

* and much more. Eight years of good times...

Didn't:

* Do all the TFs. Only missed a couple, though...

* Powerlevel or farm in AE. Not condemning either practice...I was just never in a hurry to get characters to 50.

* Get a Kheld to 50. Got a 'Shade to 46...then somehow completely ran out of momentum with her.

* Warm up to Masterminds. I recognize how effective they were, but I just never liked playing them much. It wasn't the complexity (I'm a big fan of complicated powersets, actually)...just never resonated with me.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2013, 03:11:28 PM »
DID:  I did play since one week after launch, never unsubbed, even when I was out of work a couple of times (I had my priorites straight).

All the TF's including redside (as far as I know, I was not a redside sort of player) and Dr. Q on my main (Penelope Pistol).

Got all the badges I could before the end on my main (954).

Did win the PERC CC (Justice Server) for 2010 and got to run around for 6 months with "Ms. Justice 2010" over my head.  That was great.

Did every CC that was announced.

Made so many characters, had so many ideas that I was known on Justice for making a new toon a week (and people would give me a hard time when they saw I got one to 20 because I had altitis bad).

Took over 50 fraps videos after the announcement, some over an hour long.

Took over 500 screen shots.

DIDN'T:  I don't know, at this point, I don't think its important to me.  I had a great time during my 8.5 years.  And the great memories I have.  One day, I hope and wish I can play again.

Shadowe

• Boss
  • Just don't tell Manticore...
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2013, 06:43:44 PM »
Did:

Rack up over 8,000 hours on one character, but still didn't do every TF in the game.
Love playing a blaster but had more Defenders at 50 than Blasters.
Dual-box to self-PL one toon... Doing real missions with the toon on follow.
Write and publish 3 AE story arcs, one of which was an AV-fest called "Training Day".
Dual-box many times to roleplay two characters at once...
... and every time I did I spoke as the wrong character at least once.
Get a Master of badge by accident on a TF.
Petition every IP-violating toon I came across.
Get killed by the PvP confuse bug.

Didn't:
Get Hybrid on any character.
Manage to do a MoSTF despite numerous attempts.
Want the game to ever end.
The wisdom of Shadowe: Ghostraptor: The Shadowe is wise ...; FFM: Shadowe is no longer wise. ; Techbot_Alpha: Also, what Shadowe said. It seems he is still somewhat wise ; Bull Throttle: Shadowe was unwise in this instance...; Rock_Powerfist: in this instance Shadowe is wise.; Techbot_Alpha: Shadowe is very wise *nods*; Zortel: *Quotable line about Shadowe being wise goes here.* FFM: I think you're mostly wise in this instance, apart from one part.

Twi

• Connoisseur of Fine Imports
  • Lieutenant
  • Defender
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2013, 04:12:56 AM »
Never did a Hamiraid and I'd been playing since before CoV's launch.

Never used Mids. Or, rather, never built a build in Mids. I used Mids to yank out the builds I had made and post them on forums. Actual building was done in notepad.
I am a defender and so can you.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2013, 12:04:35 AM »
Never used Mids either, and there were a few taskforces I never tried even at eight years. *sigh*
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Rust

• Elite Boss
  • Oddball
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2013, 12:35:57 AM »
- I spent more time in Character Creation then I did actually playing the game
- I "Power Leveled" The Rewards Program feature by (literally) throwing money at the game, simply so I could get access to the Mecha Costumes...which I proceeded to never use.
- I still leveled in The Hollows and Perez Park even after the Shining Stars arc was introduced simply for nostalgia
- Never went on a Hami Raid
- Never did any Incarnate Content
- All the years playing the game, and I only had one character reach Level 50. It was my first character - a Dark Melee/Super Regeneration Scrapper. I created him right out of the gate and learned the game through him. He dinged Level 50 a week before the announcement in 2012.
- A unrepentant Altaholic
All that I'm after is a life filled with laughter

Ultrarocket

• Underling
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2013, 03:21:29 AM »
Played almost since the game came out, had two accounts. Forgot the old one so I ended up making a new one.

I never thought I'd be able to get a lvl 50, but ended up with 4.

I still went to the Hollows till the last year. Something about frostfire and those missions that I really enjoyed.

There would be periods where I did ITFs almost every day. I also loved Katies!

I tried making some COH videos, my most favorite being City of Heroes Rises on youtube.

My favorite heroes were Tanks and Controllers.

I remember playing till like 3 or 4 in the morning or waking up a little early to get a couple of extra hours in.

Hejist

• Underling
  • @Ghostchase
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2013, 10:59:37 PM »
Did - take far too many breaks, often months at a time(never once dropping sub fees).
Did - spend far too long killing GMs
Did - be one of the 1st to grab THRW badge.

Didn't - get a chance to hug most of the peeps I love and respect IRL - looking at you Ammon and Kis.
@Ghostchase - M15F1T fire/trapper