Author Topic: Google "advertisement" video - looking for feedback from Hail Mary Task Force  (Read 4380 times)

kalynnda13

• Minion
Back in January, when the possibility of approaching Google was mentioned, I started working on this video. The idea was to create something that showed Google aspects of the game, but also showed how Google (or others) could inject advertising into CoH...in a non-obtrusive way. So I have NPC chatter, a billboard, and graffiti Google-related advertisements as part of the video.

The video can be viewed at: https://vimeo.com/63483225

What I am looking for specifically is:
- wording changes to improve the message or to put it in line with the pitch that is being worked on
- Credits...Besides the music (which is free-to-use in non-commercial ventures...that was important to me)...do I credit Paragon Studios? NCSoft?
- videography suggestions...I welcome suggestions, though some of the scenes were enough of a pain to create that I don't really want to mess with them. Some are quite easy to modify, however. And a more "professional" eye on the transitions and timing relative to the music would be helpful. Please be gentle...this is my first attempt at a CoH video.

I want to thank Leandro, Samuraiko, Aggelakis, CodeWalker, and all the others who have inspired me and provided tools and technical information. And of course I want to thank the Hail Mary team - all of you - for pushing forward to save our game.

Kalynnda Rivermoon, who REALLY misses this game.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
That is awesome!

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
I would cut down on the amount of gameplay that doesn't have any words - it's not really related to the ad - and especially the scene with the chick fighting the Freaks outside of Wentworths seems to drag on about 2-3 times as long as it really should. There's not much 'punch' in that part. Maybe one or two hits, especially the big fiery attacks. Maybe flash through a bunch of different single attacks instead of the long shot of one character slowly whittling through a pack of dudes.

Good first draft (probably your 1845th draft - but first PUBLIC draft! lol)
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Keyne

• Minion
  • Freedumb's Miyabi
    • TonyV's Crabshack
I haven't watched it yet since I'm at work, but did you include any footage of the dropship kills?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHPk6oGXXcw

There's a bunch like that, epic aerial teamwork.

drmanbot

• Minion
I would focus a bit more on the the benefits to google, like the beginning where the players were using the apps and such . maybe a bit more examples of advertising. As far as the freak combat scene , I concur . a bit to long. perhaps maybe using that time to show a bit more of Paragon, or several different fighting styles/villians.

overall and excellent effort.

ahmpizzedoff

• Minion
There were many "billboards" all around CoH Maybe a good place for Google ads or space to sell/rent to other advertisers? Maybe showcase some of those billboards? Lots of in game advertising.
Keeper of the toons from the SG, Sugar Coated Suicide, Freedom
Older'n Dirt and proud of it!

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
Yezz, excellent video, not sure how you made that.  :o nice job!
Perhaps banners can spread this video around...

kalynnda13

• Minion
Thanks for your feedback!  I came up with an intro to the freakshow scene (unintelligible string of characters from one freak tank, the other (in leet speak) - Dude, you are such a noob. You installed your Google Leet-speak translator backwards!). I will definitely shorten the fight as well.

I'm going to add a short snippet with Posi and a group of geeks in a contest to see who can solve a problem faster - Posi or the geeks with networked Chromebooks (Google laptops).

I'm trying to come up with something relating to a Rikti invasion and Google Maps or Google Eath...The only thing I have now is Rikti teleporting into the center of a large group of heroes, and saying something along the line of Google Maps/Earth being wrong either for not showing the heroes...or because they were looking for a particular restaurant. Ideas are appreciated!

As to how I did it...the fight scenes were just translated (and simplified) from previous demorecords. The rest of it was "hand" coded, with the help of the various tools others have created. Plus lots of simple Python programs.  I tried to avoid actually inserting anything by hand...because as soon as I did, I'd want to change the scene. It was a lot of boring work...but fun as well. I'm just really glad I got an SSD with my new computer (solid state drive) - CoH boots up so much faster! 

drmanbot

• Minion
It would be funny if you had the Rikti looking up Paragon City on google maps and trying to find something in the "search nearby " option, like war walls or portal corp.

chasearcanum

• Boss
I do like the video here.  It represents a creative community that will continue to promote the game and foster its rebirth long after the game shut down, and that alone is a critical message to promote at this time.

It would be funny if you had the Rikti looking up Paragon City on google maps and trying to find something in the "search nearby " option, like war walls or portal corp.

That made me think of the old google ads like "parisian love" where the entire tale is told via background audio and search terms.  Unfortunately, you'd have to fake mockups of all the search results at this point, but...

- Googling "be a hero"
- show results for City of heroes
- Google "Costume ideas" and
- show results from google images dominated by the variety possible in the creator.
- Google "Join A Supergroup"
- myriad fansites, fan videos, etc mocked up.
- Continue through a few game features like this, using different google features to (a filtered google+ feed showing CoH-related posts?).
- Lead up to the announcement of the game closing, some panicked searching, the community outcry, positive efforts (this site), etc.
- Even focus on an "extended" result that shows snippets of the "Hail Mary" post suggesting google buy and run the game.
- Google search box, again, Google logo prominently in display with their mantra "don't be evil" in the search field. 
- result:"be a hero".

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 10:47:19 PM by chasearcanum »