Author Topic: Need some PC help once again please.. SSD/HDD advice needed  (Read 2107 times)

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
Need some PC help once again please.. SSD/HDD advice needed
« on: April 04, 2013, 03:02:15 AM »
so my new PC is up and running and I have Windows and Drivers etc etc on my SSD. I also did get Windows 7 to see the HDD I installed. My issue now is that I want to use the HDD for storage for files and some games etc etc.. but when I try to download anything it goes straight to the SSD.. I dont get a prompt asking me which drive would I like to save things to..

This is something I need to address and was wondering if any of the experts had advice. tips or links..

BTW I am running Windows 7 and a Samsung 630 128MB SSD and a 1 TB Caviar Back HDD..

Thanks in advance.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
Re: Need some PC help once again please.. SSD/HDD advice needed
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 03:37:23 AM »
Download how.  Browser?  Game Installer?  Steam?
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 03:51:51 AM »
sorry.. usually downloading through a browser. I dont have Steam

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 04:12:56 AM »
Most browsers have a setting for where downloads go or you can set it to always ask.  Then when you install the game the installer usually have a way to change the target directory, but it may not be obvious at first.

What are you downloading may I ask?
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 10:40:59 AM »
Why not just use a decent file manager and move the downloaded files to the HDD as you see fit?
Total Commander, FreeCommander etc.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 12:02:18 PM »
In a browser, if you just click on the download, it will go wherever the browser default is, and that's usually on the system drive in the user's profile.  If you want to save it elsewhere you must change the default download location:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/112232-internet-explorer-change-default-download-location.html
http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95574

..or you can alternatively right click on the desired download link and click on the "Save target as", which will give you the option to move it elsewhere in a dialog box.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 12:25:58 PM »
I am downloading SWTOR some of my old SG mates are playing there in an ex CoH players guild..

Also it seems as if I need to make some user files on my HDD as well..