Author Topic: Alleged reason for CoH shutdown  (Read 4678 times)

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
Alleged reason for CoH shutdown
« on: April 02, 2013, 11:51:27 PM »
There was a  thread on the video game board of 4chan concerning the closure of MMOs (don't judge me, I've no doubt some of you are in that very thread too) and this came up.

They also mentioned that anyone at NCsoft West or Carbine would say the same thing about that being the reason behind closure.

Obviously anything said there should be taken with a grain of salt as people often play pretend and make things up.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 02:28:46 AM by Xieveral »
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
Re: Alleged reason for CoH shutdown
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 12:11:15 AM »
That sounds about as likely as what the garden gnome, I met online, told me was the reason.

Seriously... NCSoft giving them money for a sequel and Paragon Studios not using that for an actual sequel and then outsourcing after a second chance?
Haha... That's rather outlandish and I think we'd have heard of such irresponsible behavior on the side of PS before now and from somewhere other than an anonymous 4chan user.
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 12:11:22 AM »
I cannot adequately stress how skeptical I am of random 4chan posts.  Tell you what, as soon as they give me winning lottery #'s (in advance), then I'll start taking them seriously.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 12:15:49 AM »
Truth: First time I've ever been to 4chan.

Second Truth: Best laugh I've had all week.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 12:16:17 AM »
I believe that like I believe TV Ghost/Bigfoot Hunting shows.

In a realignment of company focus and publishing support, NCsoft has made the decision to close Paragon Studios.

That's the quote that launched a thousand conspiracy theories (well not a thousand ...).  "Realignment of company focus" is PR speak for "we don't want to say".  It could be embarrassing, it may provide information about company future direction that they aren't yet willing to share yet, who knows, they just don't want to be specific about it.

When push came to shove they said the reason was because they wanted to close Paragon Studios and without anyone to keep working on the game they were forced to close the game as well.  Now it could be considered damaging to Paragon Studio employees if your paymasters decided you weren't worth keeping around.  The obvious question then is what did ya'll do so wrong?  In that case the "realignment of focus" reason makes some degree of sense, by leaving the studio out of it until months after all the employees were terminated and hopefully most found work elsewhere in the industry.  The sudden closure of an entire studio that supported an MMO for over 5 years is bound to raise questions where a studio closed because it's game was shutdown doesn't look bad on the CV.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 01:06:48 AM »
looks like they killed the thread.  just a 404 error now
No Surrender!

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 01:15:32 AM »
There was a thread on the video game board of 4chan concerning the closure of MMOs (don't judge me, I've no doubt some of you are in that very thread too) and this came up.

They also mentioned that anyone at NCsoft West or Carbine would say the same thing about that being the reason behind closure.

Obviously anything said there should be taken with a grain of salt as people often play pretend and make things up.

Any why are we giving these guys publicity?

But since it's here, one theory about the reason is as good as the next. Well anything beyond NCSoft "realignment" reason course since they are the only ones that know the true reason and either chose to or that is the reason. But like I could tell you the reasons of me being here and the reason for me being who I am, it could al be a figment of imagination I wrote and honed for years to pass off as truth or it could e as true as the sky is blue. No one knows but me, just no one knows the reason besides NCSoft for the reasons of their actions. The rest are just theories that people make up to fit the mood they are in at the time and whether or not they feel the actions were right or wrong, aka, if they was going to do wrong action as they view NCsoft it is a reason they would do it and thus in their mind it must be the reason that NCSoft did it since viewed by them the action is wrong and if they was going to do such action their reason would be the reason they assigned to NCSoft. But seeing not much evidence that NCSoft reason was a lie seeing as how they seem to be doing quite a bit of realignment, then it could be assumed to e true just as it's assumed that people are truly as hurt about losing COX as they say they are or it could be a farce just as much as anyone statements online can be.

The point is? Who knows besides the person who committed the action? People can speculate create reasons, theories tin foil hat, make it into a conspiracy, the truth of the matter is that no one outside NCSoft knows the actual true reason. With that said, it's all surmising either way and thus there is no such thing as right or wrong surmising, thinking or inferring without certain or strong evidence, which would impossible to show for certain outside being the person or persons that made that decision.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 01:20:34 AM by JaguarX »

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 01:56:19 AM »
Didn't we hear that whatever mysterious other project Paragon was working on was....not a Superhero game, and funded out of profit from City of Heroes?  So no extra investment from NCSoft, just reinvesting from City of Heroes.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 02:08:30 AM »
Wait, wait, wait....

trusting 4chan?

isn't that...

Doesn't that...

does not compute...

As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Knight Light

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 02:14:21 AM »
There was a thread on the video game board of 4chan concerning the closure of MMOs (don't judge me, I've no doubt some of you are in that very thread too) and this came up.

Anyone who believes this explanation even a teeny tiny little bit should run to the doctor, they may have gone brain dead. putting the source aside entirely, it reads like utter bs, not even the semblance of something that could be true. it doesn't sound even a little bit like the person who posted that on 4chan even knew what they were talking about.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 02:25:30 AM »
looks like they killed the thread.  just a 404 error now

Is that normal behavior for them? Or does that mean they found out someone was reading it and got rid of it?

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 02:50:20 AM »
There is not one iota truth to any of this.  Zero.  Zilch.  Nada.  It's completely made up.  I would bet large sums of money on the fact that it's not true.

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 02:53:31 AM »
I don't believe the post myself but there's always that "what if".

It seems really out of character for them to do such a thing and for NCsoft to be so generous. Also, Positron said they were told to stop development of CoH2 for that Lost/Minecraft game, right?

I really wish the devs were able to speak out against claims like that and set the record straight.

Is that normal behavior for them? Or does that mean they found out someone was reading it and got rid of it?

That's normal. People lost interest in the thread and it fell off the page.
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 03:34:52 AM »
Bah... I've seen stuff just like it coming out of the south end of a northbound bull.   :P

UruzSix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 04:17:32 AM »
I don't believe the post myself but there's always that "what if".

It seems really out of character for them to do such a thing and for NCsoft to be so generous. Also, Positron said they were told to stop development of CoH2 for that Lost/Minecraft game, right?

Yeah, the prevailing rumor has it that the first sequel was killed because NCSoft was squeamish on direct sequels. The second darker edgier version lost its funding when B&S and GW2 went over-budget.

On one hand, I just can't see NCSoft just handing out money without any immediate accounting for it. This isn't 38 Studios, Paragon was a direct part of NCSoft's balance sheet.

On the other hand, its entirely possible that there may have been other reasons NCSoft had no compunctions on cutting the sequels' funding. Something that morphed into what the 4channer posted via the magic of the telephone game.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 04:19:55 AM »
lol 4chan.

Useless troll. Locking thread.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal