Author Topic: Call to Action: Bring CoH Home! - Phase 2  (Read 33365 times)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: Call to Action: Bring CoH Home!
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2013, 02:37:19 AM »

Don't bug the people at Wildstar you say? Don't email every Cryptic address I can find? Well I hope you'll forgive my passion but I have already done it. Those who can do nothing for us still have mouths and that's how the message of the meek becomes the talk of the town. Rallies are made to inspire, and as long as those messages are written as politely and as respectful as if you were on your best behavior at a rally, no one in this industry will hold us in contempt or blame us for speaking up and showing our love for a game they loved too--and continuing to do it seven months on; and with our voices still strong.

Yup. Bolded part keywords to keep in mind.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2013, 02:39:17 AM »
Here's the thing.  I don't think we have to convince Jack Emmert to want City of Heroes.  It sounds like he's already open to the idea.  We have the same problem now as we've had since August 31: Getting NCsoft to get off their duffs and do something.  Jack could want the game with every fiber in his being and it wouldn't matter right now.  I say this because I know of at least one other person who wanted the game so badly that they couldn't stand it, engaged in some very serious negotiations with NCsoft, and now has basically nothing to show for it.

The problem, my friends, is NCsoft corporate, pure and simple.  THAT is who needs to be convinced to let go of the property.  Not Jack, not Carbine, not even NCsoft Seattle, but NCsoft corporate--the people in Seoul, South Korea.

I wish I knew what buttons to push to get them to open up.  If I did, I assure you I would have been pushing them long before now.  But as long as NCsoft is as close-minded as they are now, all other efforts will be for naught.

+1

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2013, 02:41:14 AM »
Is the number NCSoft said they wanted for the CoH IP 80 million?

Is that the number they actually said for the IP after closing or just another rumor that gotten out of hand?

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2013, 02:44:18 AM »
So, I've been working on layouts for postcards, and basically don't have the patience to edit photos to make them fit....
Here's what I'm thinking ..

Page 1:
The entire face is a CoH image. What I'd LOVE would be for someone to be able to size the "We Will Never Forget" photo to postcard size, 4.2 x 5.5 or thereabouts.

A stock of 50 cards runs about $13-$15 bucks. If I can get images that fit, or if ppl wanna resize images themselves.

Page 2:
The back of the postcard I basically have mostly blank but with a text box to write NC's address on it. There's more than enough white space left for a nice lil message to whoever gets the cards.

Thoughts?

Oye, I forgot to factor in postage to South Korea. For a postcard, it's $1.10.

jeangray

• Minion
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2013, 02:56:46 AM »
That is why tomorrow I am going to get the rates for a number of sites and we can post our own advertising to bring the game back.

It is time to spit or get off the pot.

We've been quiet for a bit and it seems foolish to not take advantage of the momentum shift that one comment/panel seemed to push us with.  A few well placed, well worded/designed ads might genuinely help put the right amount of pressure on NCSoft.  We need to get a little louder.   

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2013, 02:56:46 AM »
 I think step one is that someone needs to contact Jack Emmert to see if he was serious or not.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2013, 03:51:49 AM »
Tony is looking at channels available to him.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

MakoMako

• Lieutenant
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2013, 06:16:59 AM »
Is that the number they actually said for the IP after closing or just another rumor that gotten out of hand?

Quoted. I've heard that number a billion times and not a single source anywhere that indicates an ounce of truth to it.

Where the hell did 80 million come from? Did I miss a big official news thing on it?

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2013, 07:10:53 AM »
Titan in action. Yes. Seriously hope we do this ad thing.

Tony, I'm not telling you to shut up... but I am telling you to take my money.

Well. I mean. Our money. I can't pay for an entire ad campaign. The electricity bill in just one of my secret underground advanced physics laboratories is worth at least that much.

SeaLily

• Lieutenant
  • green hair
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2013, 07:52:43 AM »
Quoted. I've heard that number a billion times and not a single source anywhere that indicates an ounce of truth to it.

Where the hell did 80 million come from? Did I miss a big official news thing on it?

Someone did the work on this and it seems to basically be a misunderstanding related to Trion's interest in CoH.

Trion's current overall company budget for upcoming projects was reported to be like $80 million.  And they were reportedly interested in CoH.  This got telephone'd from person to person and forum to forum until the story was they were offering the $80 mil for CoH and turned down by NCsoft.

Now, it's true Trion had/has that $80 mil, and it's true they were interested in CoH, but those two things aren't related.
green hair

Empyrean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2013, 05:27:30 PM »
I know this will go over like a lead balloon.  I know it will seem like I'm just being a wet blanket.  But, it's important for people on this thread to see, so I'll crosspost it once then I'll go away.

Quote from: Lily Barclay on Today at 02:23:06 pm
The poor CO people were asking about their game, too. =(

I'll tell ya, it's rough over there.  I don't know if it's Jack or PW or what, but their lack of even acknowledging that the player-base exists, much less dignifying their requests or concerns with one single communication actually addressing them, is...  staggering. 

Honestly, even if Jack isn't responsible, if he is so much as knowingly ALLOWING what is happening over there, I'd suggest we at least try to ascertain his firm intentions (which he's vacillated on more than once in the past), before getting too excited.

I know, I sound like a negative Nancy, but if you haven't been to CO, you may not understand the level of being totally ignored that is possible in a game.  I didn't truly understand how lucky we really were with Matt Miller and Paragon Studios untill I experienced the depth of the Cryptic/PW's neglect.  It's bottomless.

PS-  I just realized it probably sounds like I'm exaggerating to some of you.  Understandable.  If you go look at the Champions forums for about the past week or more, it will become clear.

Quote from: Codewalker on Today at at 05:09:57 pm
Jack has always been all about the "new shiny". He basically abandoned COH to work on CO, then CO to work on STO, and more recently refocused most of their resources away from STO for Neverwinter. Ironically, he probably would have fit in well at NCSoft as it's strikingly similar to their MO, except that he just forgets about "old" games instead of actively shutting them down.

I strongly suspect his comment was just something he said in the moment, along the lines of, "Well, if they don't want it, they can always give it back to me." I wouldn't expect him to seriously pursue buying it unless NCSoft came to him and knocked on his door, offering it for a song.

Yes, COH was his first big project so there's likely some emotional attachment to keeping it alive. But beyond that? It might keep his interest for a few months but it wouldn't be long before it ended up in the same boat as Champions.

I love, want, and miss CoH, and I want it back or I want a worthy CoH 2.  But it's wise to know who you're getting in bed with.  And no matter how randy you are for something, sometimes it's good to take a good, hard look...  and/or use some protection...

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2013, 05:47:28 PM »
I know this will go over like a lead balloon.  I know it will seem like I'm just being a wet blanket.  But, it's important for people on this thread to see, so I'll crosspost it once then I'll go away.

Quote from: Lily Barclay on Today at 02:23:06 pm
I'll tell ya, it's rough over there.  I don't know if it's Jack or PW or what, but their lack of even acknowledging that the player-base exists, much less dignifying their requests or concerns with one single communication actually addressing them, is...  staggering. 

Honestly, even if Jack isn't responsible, if he is so much as knowingly ALLOWING what is happening over there, I'd suggest we at least try to ascertain his firm intentions (which he's vacillated on more than once in the past), before getting too excited.

I know, I sound like a negative Nancy, but if you haven't been to CO, you may not understand the level of being totally ignored that is possible in a game.  I didn't truly understand how lucky we really were with Matt Miller and Paragon Studios untill I experienced the depth of the Cryptic/PW's neglect.  It's bottomless.

PS-  I just realized it probably sounds like I'm exaggerating to some of you.  Understandable.  If you go look at the Champions forums for about the past week or more, it will become clear.

Quote from: Codewalker on Today at at 05:09:57 pm
I love, want, and miss CoH, and I want it back or I want a worthy CoH 2.  But it's wise to know who you're getting in bed with.  And no matter how randy you are for something, sometimes it's good to take a good, hard look...  and/or use some protection...

I remember the mass celebration of Ncsoft being a hero and Jack a traitor. A few years later, my how times has changed.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 06:01:13 PM by JaguarX »

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2013, 05:52:03 PM »
I remember the mass celebration of Ncsoft being a hero and a traitor. A few years later, my how times has changed.

I remember the big Supergroup prestige grant shortly after the announcement of the buyout (just before Issue 11), with the stated intention of allaying the widespread fears about what would happen to the game after NCSoft acquired the rights fully from Cryptic and spun off NCNC.

I don't remember any celebrations.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2013, 06:02:36 PM »
I remember the big Supergroup prestige grant shortly after the announcement of the buyout (just before Issue 11), with the stated intention of allaying the widespread fears about what would happen to the game after NCSoft acquired the rights fully from Cryptic and spun off NCNC.

I don't remember any celebrations.
I rember those too. With many being accused of wearing tin foil hats.

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2013, 11:41:33 AM »
Update:

-As of right now if you've emailed the press links you've done your part for Bring CoH Home mostly. There has been some discussion about if we should be emailing the press en masse and I still think we should. Those aren't personal email links, they're links for tips. When a new MMO is announced they probably get thousands of tips about that 1 game.

A single tip regarding this could get missed, but if most of us send something I believe they'd be more likely to look into it. And honestly, based on thread participation and our general community levels right now, we're talking about maybe a couple hundred tips.

-Several people are attempting to reach out to Jack and Cryptic to clarify his words.

-Ko is working on a "trailer" for our efforts. Thanks Ko, you're awesome!

-If we hear back from that positively we're going to start looking very hard at advertising. Several of you have said you'll donate, we've definitely got details there to work out. I think that would be AMAZING for our community to pull off if we get to that point. I believe real advertising can effect some change and move NCsoft's position as we will be going at them very, very publicly.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 12:26:26 PM by Lightslinger »

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2013, 11:59:01 AM »
Lightslinger, you're one of my new heroes for getting the ball rolling on this.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 12:05:53 PM by Captain Electric »

Lightslinger

• Elite Boss
  • @Lightslinger, Virtue
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2013, 12:24:18 PM »
Double post...uh, here's a meme:

jeangray

• Minion
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2013, 02:26:23 PM »
Thanks for the update! 

I'm really looking forward to donating towards an ad campaign sooner than later too.  So excited we may be able to come together and pull this off as a community who still loves their game.  Even if Jack isn't 100% serious it's hard to not do something positive for COH after that panel spoke up.  I can't help but think how flipping cool it would be to see 'Bring City of Heroes Back' ads of some form from the players.  I also can't imagine that type of thing happens often or would be frowned upon if done right. 

Maybe some more creative types here could start throwing around ad ideas?  I absolutely adore the rough draft of the 9th anniversary video, too!

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2013, 02:48:46 PM »
I'd suspect the content of the ads to rely on how specific our chances are. If someone actually talks to Jack and he's like, "Yes dudes if you can get those people to actually PICK UP THEIR #$%& PHONE, then I'll make an offer." OK then obviously our ads are all about reaching NCSoft and, indirectly basically, bringing light to the fact that even with an offer on the table, the fans of the game are having to pay thousands out of pocket for advertising costs to scream at the ivory tower behind the wall of silence. Oops sorry some bitterness leaked out.

If Jack's like, "Did I say thaaaaat?" Well. OK. Obviously it's more like

BANNER UPPER LEFT: "WE NEED A REZ!!!" (because people won't know what wakie means  :P)
LOWER RIGHT: #SaveCoH
With a cool picture covering the whole background of the banner.

Any publisher in the industry will know what we're getting at. Larger spread ads (like pages--if we can afford that) should actually have a message with substances directed at publishers. Ask the Hail Mary peeps for advice on that.

These are just suggestions. Could be bad ideas.  :P
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 02:54:58 PM by Captain Electric »

Quinch

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2013, 02:52:21 PM »
Even if NCsoft doesn't pick up the phone and call, a campaign would still serve the purpose of giving them yet another black eye - openly, publicly rejecting an open, public business request by a company which they worked with, and quite well, in the past in favor of, well, making sure the sod on CoH's grave remains covered in concrete.

Either way, win-win.