Author Topic: Question for European players  (Read 1100 times)

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
Question for European players
« on: March 31, 2013, 08:35:52 PM »
(Posting this here instead of the wiki forum so more people might see it.)

I've been working on updating Paragon wiki's articles about the different boxed releases of City of Heroes, and I'm now to the point of doing the European versions. However, I've got a question about the original game release.

I know that the City of Heroes Deluxe version came out around the time of Issue 3, but was there also a European version that shipped in a box at launch? The evidence I have points to "yes," but I can't be 100% sure. The Deluxe version is basically just a cardboard outer box with a standard plastic case inside, and the information on the plastic case has the same basic text as the US version at launch. However, the insert is printed with the 2004 Billboard Digital Entertainment Awards logo, which wasn't announced until November 5, 2004. This, then, makes me think that the version of the insert that was included with the Deluxe version was updated later, but it might have otherwise been the same as what came out at launch.

Are there any European players here who can help shine some light on this? I'd also like to know what extra contents were included in the original box as opposed to the Deluxe version.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Question for European players
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 11:52:58 PM »
Euro players got the American version before CoH Deluxe. It wasn't stocked many places, from what I understand/remember from old conversations from some folks in my global channels that lived in Europe (two Londoners and one from Germany).
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 01:02:34 AM »
Me I do remember having seen CoV boxes (DVD-size) on the shelves of France, but no City of Heroes, and not Deluxe. Anyway, I've bought my code on the web shop of NCSoft.

I may ask some people I know.
Yeeessss....

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 11:26:14 PM »
I'm revisiting this topic to give an update as to my progress.

I've finished adding all of the European products I could find to the Disc Releases article, which involved scouring the English, French, German, Italian, and Spanish versions of Amazon and eBay. I was pleasantly surprised at how much stuff was still available, although I did have to ask favors of a couple friends living in Germany and Italy to be proxy shipping destinations for a few sellers who wouldn't ship to America. The only items I couldn't find were the Spanish version of the City of Villains Collector's DVD Edition and the Italian version of the Good Versus Evil Combined Edition. (Please don't ask how much I spent on getting all that stuff.  :'( )

Getting back to City of Heroes Deluxe, in addition to the similarities I mentioned before between the interior plastic case and the original American boxed version, there are different UPC codes used on the plastic case (lower numbers) and the Deluxe paper outer box (higher numbers). Why would NCsoft have done this if the interior case was not used for a previous retail release? It seems that this would clinch it for making that case . . .   eeeexcept for the fact that the French verion of CoH Deluxe has the UPCs swapped. This, then, begs the question of how would NCsoft have known what the UPC would have been in-series for the later Deluxe version if the regular plastic case version was released first? Bottom line: I have no clue what the real story is. *sigh* I'm just glad I was able to find as many things as I did.

The last part of this project is to extend the same methodology to game time cards. The problem here is that older package versions were replaced as new ones were issued to retailers, and few purchasers likely would have kept them as collectibles for later resale because the cards were consumable by design. I've had some minor success locating older packages, but I'm about six years too late to be doing this. They are, by and large, simply lost to time (pun not intended).