Author Topic: For the old timers in the game: Remember when....  (Read 60697 times)

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
Re: For the old timers in the game: Remember when....
« Reply #280 on: May 20, 2013, 03:20:17 AM »
Nice colorful costumes. Very patriotic indeed.  :D
With outfits like these, it is GUARANTEED to be the life of the party. 8)

MaHaBone

• Minion
« Reply #281 on: May 22, 2013, 07:19:17 PM »
I remember--

Running across the treetops in Perez Park to get to the Lake or a door mission.

Sneaking my lowbie through Steel Canyon to get to Icon because I goofed up some costume part.

Dodging traffic because I thought cars could cause damage (silly newb)

The original Paragon Dance Party.

When they first introduced Lusca, I spent hours in IP trying to "summon" her. There were dozens of rumored ways to do it. Of course, none of them worked.

The first time I won a costume contest.  I was so happy, I bragged about it to my wife.

The first time I hosted a costume contest.

Dinging my first 50, at the same spot, from the same contact she got her first mission from in City Hall.

Street sweeping, when everyone had run out of missions.

"I am too far away from my sidekick."

My first Hamidon Raid. I was terrified of screwing up. So many toons gathered up in Founders. Seeing 40-50 characters fly, super jump and super speed across Eden was soooo badass.

The first time I walked into Atlas Park.  That's when I knew this game was awesome.  Dozens of characters, all completely different, erupting fire or ice or rain or energy or spikes or who-knows-what.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #282 on: May 24, 2013, 09:47:05 PM »
MaHaBone, you nailed every one of my earliest memories. I also remembering being in total awe of seeing a level 50 character for the first time. It was like seeing a God to me. (CoH was my very first mmo...I was SOOOOOO green.)
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

MaHaBone

• Minion
« Reply #283 on: May 25, 2013, 03:42:15 AM »
50s were so much rarer back then. Not just because the game was new, but it was also so much more time-intensive to get a toon to 50. Leveling was so much slower and debt was such a burden.

I remember seeing a 50 just chilling out in PP, and this one toon was just a massive poop storm of crazy effects. I couldn't even fat ham what magic combination of powers could make you so loud and crazy-looking.

In hindsight, he was probably a Spines/DA scrapper, with some Haste and Whirlwind for bonus effect.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #284 on: May 25, 2013, 04:45:44 AM »
I remember everything far too well.. Its a Memorial Day Weekend.. Three days off and no CoH...

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #285 on: May 25, 2013, 12:52:24 PM »
I remember everything far too well.. Its a Memorial Day Weekend.. Three days off and no CoH...

I've made some adjustments with CO.  it's not CoH but it is nice to have my similar powered hero flying around again.

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #286 on: May 25, 2013, 12:59:11 PM »
This!!!  I normally get the week off between Christmas & New Years and that week alone allowed me to catch up on TF's, badges, Incarnate stuff, etc...Long holiday weekends remind me of how much I miss the game.

ahmpizzedoff

• Minion
« Reply #287 on: June 01, 2013, 09:46:09 PM »
You had to get a toon to 50 before you could build a Peacebringer or Warshade.
Keeper of the toons from the SG, Sugar Coated Suicide, Freedom
Older'n Dirt and proud of it!

TheMindfulFool

• Underling
« Reply #288 on: June 01, 2013, 10:36:29 PM »
You had to get a toon to 50 before you could build a Peacebringer or Warshade.

I leveled my blaster to 50. It took me so long but dammit, I did it! And I was beaming when I saw that I unlocked the Peacebringer and Warshade power sets.

I played them for half a week and then went back to playing a Blaster :D

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #289 on: June 01, 2013, 11:22:48 PM »
I never made it.  I think I hit 49 right before the change dropped.  I was tying like hell to do it, though. I wanted to earn them! :)

(I did get a couple of toons to level 50, one on each "side," but it just didn't happen before the PBs and WSs got "nerfed.")
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Terra Shock

• Underling
« Reply #290 on: June 01, 2013, 11:49:00 PM »
Think it took me over 4 yrs till I got my first 50, lots of alts...
I remember spendin hours in the base editor, up late, saying good night to some sg buds, then having them log in the next morning saying hi to me, there I was, still tweaking and building...

I think it was Nerva, maybe Striga. Soloing and some movement out of the corner of my eye I thought it was another player, seen this guy in the concrete shoes jumping around... LOL

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #291 on: June 02, 2013, 03:27:54 AM »
I did a lot on my base.  Movie theater, underground maze, bowling ally, arboretum, Mayan temple, Control center, Hanger (complete with giant robot), living quarters, library, and a bunch others.  my base lagged it had so many things in it.

miss my base now.  :(

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #292 on: June 02, 2013, 03:53:23 AM »
Oooh I saved a few screenies of my base!

Little David

• Boss
    • The Ad Ultimum Network
« Reply #293 on: June 07, 2013, 12:41:43 PM »
*jawdrop*

I ... holy crap.

Damn! That's another thing I'm going to miss about City of Heroes .... All the amazing supergroup bases.

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #294 on: June 07, 2013, 02:43:42 PM »
Dodging traffic because I thought cars could cause damage (silly newb)
If there was an extra lane, cars would actually change lanes to avoid hitting you. 

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #295 on: June 07, 2013, 03:45:09 PM »
If there was an extra lane, cars would actually change lanes to avoid hitting you.

I dunno, man. I've seen them change lanes to swerve into me. Happened at least twice that I noticed. Course it didn't seem like they were aiming at me, those cars were all over the place; they were probably just busy texting or something. Putting up videos on YouTube of that crazy girl with the glowing swords running down the street pretending she's a ninja..... >.>

doc7924

• Elite Boss
« Reply #296 on: June 07, 2013, 05:43:53 PM »
I used to love how you could zip around the city at super speed, yet stop dead if you hit a mailbox or pay phone or anything.

Garble

• Boss
  • Shy Weirdo
« Reply #297 on: June 08, 2013, 01:47:34 PM »
I used to love how you could zip around the city at super speed, yet stop dead if you hit a mailbox or pay phone or anything.

Although there were gate doors that would fall of their hinges if you hit them at super speed. :)
That was always fun.

Energy Aura

• Boss
  • Mids' "Data Entry Drone"
« Reply #298 on: June 08, 2013, 01:59:33 PM »
I liked making trash fly out of the cans and dumpster with SS... 

Although Singularity did a great job of leaf collecting in Ouro...

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #299 on: June 08, 2013, 02:06:09 PM »
One of my favorite things was to zoom by things at Super Speed to see how I affected them.