Author Topic: For the old timers in the game: Remember when....  (Read 60706 times)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
Re: For the old timers in the game: Remember when....
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2013, 07:17:50 AM »
-5 mill inf was a heck of a lot of coin.
-People would thank your Kin for spamming them with SB or IR in zones.
  -Heck, when as a Kin Siphon Speed or IR *was* your travel power.
-

lol yeah I remember one of my early toons ended up with about 25 million and thought of as a big baller.

And I remember teaming with a few people, some went as far as reporting to the GM at drive by Kins SBers. One refused to team with a kin pre-Null the Gull and would immediate kick anyone one or thing they found out was a kin. One one hand I was glad null the gull came along. While I personally didnt mind drive by buffers or getting SBs on teams, for some it seemed to cause a bit of annoyance. Especially when the kin get pissed and started to specifically buff that person aka forcing them to take the buff especially when not on the team aka forcing the other player to move like how the kin say they should move whether they liked it or not. But as my earlier point. Some people did things purely to get on others nerves because they could. 

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2013, 12:30:51 PM »
I played a LOT of differing Kins.

Many Kins used binds back when it wasn't an AoE buff. It used to really annoy me as well when someone would flip out if I buffed them and yet would scream for my end Transfer. So you don't want nearly infinite endurance, fast recharge and speed - you want to keep screaming out for me to transfer to you repeatedly?

I would usually quit those teams. Other players understood the value of what you brought so it never took long.

Now the one time I was a Fire/Fire blaster on a TF with 7 kins.............OMG.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2013, 01:54:56 PM »
I played a LOT of differing Kins.

Many Kins used binds back when it wasn't an AoE buff. It used to really annoy me as well when someone would flip out if I buffed them and yet would scream for my end Transfer. So you don't want nearly infinite endurance, fast recharge and speed - you want to keep screaming out for me to transfer to you repeatedly?

I would usually quit those teams. Other players understood the value of what you brought so it never took long.

Now the one time I was a Fire/Fire blaster on a TF with 7 kins.............OMG.

Yeah I seen a few of those too. But many I seen didnt want nor ask for any of the above. I guess different strokes for different folks but looking back I just wished both parties took a chill pill and shook hands, and got along instead of the Kin getting angry because someone that is not even on their team doesnt want their "awesome" power while the other end realize it's not that serious and  may have been a mere mistake or some kin just want to help out folks.

Many times since I built my toons to be self reliant, I didnt need end speed or that stuff fine without it. And at times especially in those pesky cave mission may ask to be excluded from the SB handout as I just dont have that super twitch reflexes to navigate effectively around those caves while doing near max speed. Although if they just happen to hit me with it, meh, no big deal...that is until that same Kin starts to complain that either I'm falling behind (due to constantly being stuck), or aggroing too many mobs (due to overshooting) then what can I say. "Hey I warned you not to give me speed boost. I like the power but I'm no good with it." Usually though after a few times after their death, no more speed boost for me and we both come to a happy understanding with no fuss and no hard feelings. :D

But glad null the gull was made. That way the kin buff away to their heart content to everyone they come across and the other person didnt have to be affected by it. Everyone's happy. 8)

But me I was the same ol getting stuck in cave missions and overshooting mobs.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:06:01 PM by JaguarX »

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2013, 03:08:42 PM »
But glad null the gull was made. That way the kin buff away to their heart content to everyone they come across and the other person didnt have to be affected by it. Everyone's happy. 8)

Exactly. Null the Gull might have been my favorite character ever put into the game :)

I know with me, the issue I had with speed boost was that it always caused more problems than it was worth. The lack ofcontrol it created made me go flying off cliffs and skidding into extra mobs, drawing more aggro than we should've had at a time. If the devs had added a feature that made that happen to everyone, you can flipping well bet ther would have been complaints by the truckload.

I didn't need anything they were offering, either, no matter how much they insisted I did. I knew perfectly well how to handle myself; 90% of the times I ever died were due to teammates getting in the way. Starting more fights than we could handle at once, running off without telling anyone their "clever plan", dying due to overconfidence and leaving everyone else to clean up the mess. I died more times in one mission with teammates than I did in the three and a half years I ran solo.

I completely understood that most kins were trying to be helpful when they cast SB on people. And if they stopped when I asked them to, then I was happy to get along with them forever after. The problem was with the ones who refused to stop, or who got offended just because I asked. The thing is, see, anyone who's genuinely trying to be helpful doesn't force their actions on you out of stubbornness or spite.

Not that I would report someone for it, that's jsut childish. All I ever did was politely excuse myself at the end of the mission and go back to soloing. Or editing a costume, which honestly was much more likely :)

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2013, 04:33:44 PM »
Exactly. Null the Gull might have been my favorite character ever put into the game :)

I'll never forget the first time someone said "Why can't I cast Mystic Fortune on you?" Ah, that was the best day ever.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2013, 07:58:24 PM »
I'll never forget the first time someone said "Why can't I cast Mystic Fortune on you?" Ah, that was the best day ever.
And thus came to an end my days of spamming Mystic Fortune on you at the beginning of every mission just for fun.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2013, 10:07:59 PM »
That was half the story, yes. It got to the point where you couldn't set foot in most zones without seeing "AE spam" in broadcast chatter.

The other badges were removed because they essentially required other people to give them to you. Earn 1000 stars, become a Devs' Choice, etc. The sheer bulk of AE content practically made it impossible for just anyone to get all of the AE badges, and that was the stated reason why those badges were removed.

I would have done just that except I couldn't think of a way to actually get back to the tram station without getting killed over and over and over again.  Remember, this was back when XP debt really meant something.

ahmpizzedoff

• Minion
« Reply #87 on: March 31, 2013, 04:43:19 PM »

I know with me, the issue I had with speed boost was that it always caused more problems than it was worth. The lack ofcontrol it created made me go flying off cliffs and skidding into extra mobs, drawing more aggro than we should've had at a time. If the devs had added a feature that made that happen to everyone, you can flipping well bet ther would have been complaints by the truckload.

I ran a kin for quite a long time, (7years), and learned, rather quickly I must say, that not everyone in a team wanted what the kin had to offer. So, to not create any problems I would always ask, as soon as the team was formed, "If anyone doesn't want SB, or one of the kins other powers, please tell me now and I'll not cast it on you," When they changed it to, give it to one and you give it to everyone, I could only say, "See Null the Gull in Pocket D!"
Keeper of the toons from the SG, Sugar Coated Suicide, Freedom
Older'n Dirt and proud of it!

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #88 on: March 31, 2013, 07:49:24 PM »
I ran a kin for quite a long time, (7years), and learned, rather quickly I must say, that not everyone in a team wanted what the kin had to offer. So, to not create any problems I would always ask, as soon as the team was formed, "If anyone doesn't want SB, or one of the kins other powers, please tell me now and I'll not cast it on you," When they changed it to, give it to one and you give it to everyone, I could only say, "See Null the Gull in Pocket D!"

See now, that sounds like someone I'd team with any day!

I tried to be considerate like that whenever I was on a team too. Of course, playing mostly scrappers, being considerate was pretty much just "don't jump ahead till they tell you to" ;D

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #89 on: March 31, 2013, 09:18:49 PM »

This was my philos. when I played a kin (kind of out of curiosity to see if skipping people who didnt want the buff was as difficult as some made it to be.).

I found it easier to do just as you said and for people that didnt want it, didnt get it. I found it very easy to skip a person that didnt want it, plus at the time it saved me time and endurance that I could use elsewhere.

After the mass aoe buff change, yeah, my friend two options was left either they had to move beyond the radius(which wasnt always feasible in map instance missions) or visit the gull which if they didnt know about it like a few didnt at first or didnt know where he was located, I just simply pointed them in the right direction.

Respect is two way street. I felt if I respected people's wishes they would generally respect mine.

Although, this may be just me, it seemed that there were a whole lot less kins running around after null the gull appeared. I guess the drive by buffers of the unwanted type found it no fun anymore when they couldnt force people to take the buff for their own amusement.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2013, 10:36:59 PM »
One of my more fond memories - I had returned to the game after a few years off, and was shown how to "joust" with my fire blaster. Using Fire Sword Circle and consume (alternating between them) and hopping away before the animation actually took place where I just was. I practiced in Perez Park for awhile to get the timing down. Very useful tactic.

The notion that anyone would take the time to show a returning player anything made the experience all the better.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2013, 11:04:48 PM »
I didn't buff anyone against their will - on purpose.

But when I am speed boosting people and the player is number 4 of 8 at times I accidentally hit them during tight moments. Some of those players would flip out. I actually had no problem with people spamming - SB please....... Null the gull helped a LOT as then I didn't have to pay attention any longer.

When you have binds and you are just zipping down the team numbers on a team with changing members as folks DC or leave it gets to be a pain.

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #92 on: April 01, 2013, 12:18:53 AM »
I remember whenever you Hosp'd in 'the Hollows', you had to jog all the way from Atlas Park.
 :P
I remember when you had to own both CoH and CoV to be able to use the Super Group portal.
 :o
I remember when City of Heroes had comic books. ;D

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #93 on: April 01, 2013, 12:25:06 AM »
I remember whenever you Hosp'd in 'the Hollows', you had to jog all the way from Atlas Park.

I remember whenever you Hosp'd in 'the Hive', you had to jog all the way back from Founders' Falls.

And don't get me started on Hosp'ing after being defeated by Lanaruu.

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #94 on: April 01, 2013, 06:36:41 AM »
I used to hit the Hollows with my level 50 emp defender and heal people trying like hell to make it around the Dam mish.  I met many people I stayed friends with for years that way.  I was also a TP taxi for the little ones there too.
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #95 on: April 01, 2013, 06:40:51 AM »
I was also a TP taxi for the little ones there too.

Ah, I remember when "Taxi Bot" characters were a visible and useful facet of the City...
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #96 on: April 01, 2013, 07:49:44 PM »
It depended -- if you entered the Hollows via the security door from Skyway City, you'd hosp to Skyway, not Atlas -- you went to the hospital in the last zone you were in that had a hospital. This also worked with Perez Park, so you could find yourself rezzing in the hospital in either Atlas, Galaxi, Steel, or Skyway, depending on which way you entered the zone.

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #97 on: April 01, 2013, 07:55:26 PM »
Ah, I remember when "Taxi Bot" characters were a visible and useful facet of the City...

And this was one of the aspects of City of Heroes that made it feel so different from other MMOs -- the devs actively worked to remove barriers to the players getting around the zones quickly. As opposed to other MMOs, where you can literally be ten feet away from where you need to go, but it's a ten-minute run to get there, because the world was designed to make it feel larger by making you go from Point A to Point B through Points C and D waaay over there and coming back.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2013, 09:27:58 PM »
Uh... That wasn't just one zone...

Yeah no kidding, it was like having two IPs the long ends to get from the end of one zone to the other. It was long and hard to get out to the Storm Palaace in the old days before they added in the gates. Of course getting back was easy, just fall. It was always fun to join a team to have someone go "What the heck is The Chantry?" Real heroes got to the palace with just superspeed before they added in all these crutch temp powers.  :P

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #99 on: April 01, 2013, 11:12:45 PM »
Speaking of the Shard, remember when the interior objects in Mole Point Charlie were invisible?  How many years went by before that was fixed? 

And how many of you can find the Zulu entrance to it before it was marked on the mini-map?
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.