Author Topic: For the old timers in the game: Remember when....  (Read 60698 times)

damienray

• Lieutenant
Re: For the old timers in the game: Remember when....
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 02:09:52 AM »
Like the fire imps, having 2 or 3 Singularities out at a time. Very nice!

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 02:13:46 AM »
- thinking that since I was playing a "hero", I should be helping out the other heroes fighting the street thugs around Atlas.
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 09:24:14 AM »
... you'd Super Speed into Faultline and have to delete the character?

Wait, what was this one?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 10:45:50 AM »
Wait, what was this one?
In old Faultline, if you came Super Speeding straight out of the gate when you entered the zone, you'd fall right into a very deep chasm filled with Circle of Thorns and the like.  Getting out of those canyons with no z-axis mobility required monumental effort if you didn't have the path back to the surface memorized.  And since the zone was not heavily traveled in the days before things like global channels, your odds of being able to find someone who could Recall, Group Fly, or Inertial Reduction your way out of the jam you found yourself in was near-zero.  It was so traumatic that many people would just delete their poor character and start over.

I wasn't one of those people, but I knew more than a few who were.  Faultline was another of those zones I learned to navigate using only Sprint.  It was actually slightly less complicated than Terra Volta once you found the path.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Yoru-hime

• Minion
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2013, 01:20:36 PM »
you carried the Envoy of Shadows mission around for three levels until you could solo the AV.

you stepped out into Croatoa for the first time.

10,000 monkeys.

you got into that first real Mayhem Mission. Not the Atlas one, but around Steel or Talos when you got to the point you could really dish out mayhem. Like cut loose with an AoE and empty an entire parking lot mayhem.

you tried Statesman's Task Force the first time.

you finally won one.

your inventory was 10 enhancement slots and a few inspirations. And that was it.

the hunt Circle of Thorns in Perez Park mission always showed up about 4 levels before we ready for it, completely locking out any other content from EVERY contact until we either leveled again or accepted it.

having 1 level 40 was reason enough to brag.

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2013, 01:22:37 PM »
Ohhhhh... I thought it was referring to some sort of software bug that made one's character non-functional.

Given that my main character never had a travel power, old Faultline really didn't seem any worse to me than, say, Skyway or Grandville.

Stygian Outlaw

• Underling
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 02:51:26 PM »
More fun than running back from Atlas for some people :)

Hovering over The Gulch.... Yeah but I remember trying to sprint to it before I got hover and trying to navigate around the mobs only to get to the mission and then get pummeled by a boulder from an Ogre that you got too close to and had to run all the away back from Atlas.

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 02:56:34 PM »
I also remember once upon a time when we could teleport through the war walls and various other places if you angled your camera right. You could get under the map, into the back rooms of shops (which actually had stuff back there like in the back rooms of Icon). It was cool. Back then having a level 2 in a group where everyone else was around the same level would also throw off the xp curve wildly resulting in incredibly higher xp gains for everyone in the group except the level 2 that got no xp but vast amounts of influence and enhancement drops. They fixed that right quick he he.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 03:19:32 PM »
into the back rooms of shops (which actually had stuff back there like in the back rooms of Icon).

Shoot, I was doing this part as recently as a couple months before the announcement. In the tech shop in Talos, if you run right at the cash register, you could pop behind the counter and run around back there. And yeah, you could totally go into the back room and see the stuff on the shelves. It was really neat.

And for some reason there was an invisible slope in the floor back there. I guess a little wonky geometry didn't matter in a palce players weren't supposed to be anyway.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2013, 03:35:52 PM »
A certain type of scenery trees used extensively in Croatoa as well as in several outdoor instanced maps (and parts of Perez IIRC) had "weak" collision boundaries. Once you bumped up against it, you could turn on sprint, look straight at it, and push right through, into the scenery which otherwise had no collision. Lots of empty spaces you could get into that way, or even under the map in a few places.

That problem existed for years, pretty much the entire time I was playing. It finally got fixed in Issue 23. :-\

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 08:13:39 PM »
..as a tank you could herd 100+ mobs on one map and as someone with an AOE attack you could hit 100+ mobs in one shot?

I still chuckle remembering the 'overload the game' moment in the old wolf farms -- on the Unai Kemen mission to close the dimensional ruptures that used the outdoor map that was the NE corner of Brickstown, where the tanker would herd up all the wolves while the /Dev Blaster was planting trip mines in the open-top shipping container, if you were close enough to the shipping container when the Blaster dove down to trigger the Trip Mines, you'd get a Windows-style pop-up message saying "Too many effects to render"; it was always funny to see that you'd managed to overload the game engine.

Ultraamann

• Minion
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 08:59:27 PM »
Herding the entire Crystal Titan room of the Eden Trial to the very back by the hero cocoons.  So many crystal guys packed in that my screen would slow to a pixellated mess, and then as soon my team started dropping AoEs, it would either crash the game or freeze my screen.  But damn, that was fun.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2013, 10:44:31 PM »
Remember the Hunt 10 CoT in KR back when they were out only at night on rooftops?

Remember Azuria sending you deep into the far corner of level teenville in the hollows?

Remember the Winter Lord fiasco? Oh man, the sheer hordes of people in KR.

Remember when tanks would herd up zones like Terra Volta?

Remember when the cysts would go mega boom?

Remember when players would go Kracken farming on the sewer trial?

Ah yes, AE and City of Instant 50s and the Positron rant.

The Shadow Shard, one of the most amazing zones but never really got a fair shake  :(

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2013, 11:06:45 PM »
And hovering over the gulch, what fun was that?

got so I could make it every time.  it was challenging, and fun.   liked the old hollows before they made is safer... 

I remember once I lost my entire team though...  :D

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2013, 11:08:20 PM »
The Shadow Shard, one of the most amazing zones but never really got a fair shake  :(

Uh... That wasn't just one zone...

Golden Ace

• Boss
  • Moon Zone Damn it!
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2013, 11:23:01 PM »

Remember when tanks would herd up zones like Terra Volta?

i herded the hollows for the sheer fun of it right before they limited taunt.  it took a bit of skill to make sure none of them ran off.

Intone

• Underling
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2013, 11:39:16 PM »
Someone mentioned the Winter Lord fiasco, and yes, I remember teaming a new character with friends' higher-level toons, and leveling 20 levels within minutes. Good times, among many.

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2013, 11:48:04 PM »
- when players asked for advice on how to succeed in the Respec trial.

- when you were sidekicked to a mentor on a (pre-nerfed) Respec trial who himself was -2 from the highest team member, thus facing +5 enemies in the Reactor. 
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Ashen Fury

• Boss
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2013, 12:51:27 AM »
-being unable to fly endlessly because Fly used used more end up than you could regenerate
-Fly debuffing your accuracy by 50%...because why not?
-Capping resists as an invul scrapper...pre-IOs
-Storm kick resembling a foot waggle in your opponents face
-Wulverine, wolfereen, wolvureine(first week the game went live)
-War wolf dimensional dumpster farming(solo if i couldnt find a group)
-Siege and Nightstar actually looking like their counterparts
-Chimera using a katana because there was no bow set
-lining up at the entrance of Perez Park and waiting for your turn to get into a street sweep group
-...Street sweeping at all, really.
-katana and BS having the exact same animations
-having to dredge your way through the sewers to get to the stupid hydra trial because you had no missions in that level range
-original positron TF being made for those who prefer a lifestyle of masochism
-badges didnt exist
-Hami-Os gave 50% boosts to stats instead of 33%
-6 slotting crane kick with knockback, popping vanguard medal, hitting a level 1 hellion clear across the entirety of atlas park

Oh, so many more.
Permanently Scrapperlocked.

Love CoH music? Want EVERY SINGLE FILE?
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7192.0.html

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2013, 01:04:58 AM »
Oh I remember the old Positron TF.  Took me 7 hours to complete the first time, started with 8, last mission, 2 people left.  But we got him.  While one was fighting the other was hitting the arena to get inspirations.  We finally won, at 3am in the morning.