Author Topic: For the old timers in the game: Remember when....  (Read 60695 times)

doc7924

• Elite Boss
For the old timers in the game: Remember when....
« on: March 26, 2013, 06:30:26 PM »
..you were on a team and you died and your teammates would offer to SELL you an awaken?

..if you had a defender that was NOT an empath no one would even look at you twice?

..when you would see people at level 1 standing on the tram in Atlas not moving and dinging every 3 seconds?

..you were stuck with whatever butt ugly costume you made because there was no tailor yet?

..as a tank you could herd 100+ mobs on one map and as someone with an AOE attack you could hit 100+ mobs in one shot?

..regeneration was actually good? (Before ED when you could 6 slot heals and get something like 220% regeneration rates)

..before there was AE so you didn't have level 50's in Atlas Park asking how to get to Steel Canyon?

I know there are tons more but these are the few that always come to me.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
Re: For the old timers in the game: Remember when....
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 06:42:21 PM »
..you were on a team and you died and your teammates would offer to SELL you an awaken?

..if you had a defender that was NOT an empath no one would even look at you twice?

I remember "T3h ub4r h34lz0r" or similar, he was a TA def but it got him a chance to get on teams.

..when you would see people at level 1 standing on the tram in Atlas not moving and dinging every 3 seconds?

..you were stuck with whatever butt ugly costume you made because there was no tailor yet?

..as a tank you could herd 100+ mobs on one map and as someone with an AOE attack you could hit 100+ mobs in one shot?
I remember nova-ing the remains of a rikti portal with 100 rikti standing around it.

..regeneration was actually good? (Before ED when you could 6 slot heals and get something like 220% regeneration rates)

That was only part of it, they also seriously nerfed the regen powers themselves.

..before there was AE so you didn't have level 50's in Atlas Park asking how to get to Steel Canyon?

No , but you did have people wondering why they couldn't get on the train. They were standing at the "out door".

I remember people spending several minutes hovering across the hollows to missions on the far side of the gulch.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 06:47:36 PM »

I remember most of these some of them as recent as 2011 especially with some people and defenders. If ya wasnt an empath in certain circles, you'd egt flamed and immediately kicked no questions asked.

Yeah those 50s AE babies got a bit annoying but hey, the devs gave them the tool to do that, I dont blame them for using it. It was obvious with the way AE was set up that would happen. Well at least I seen that coming from a mile away so it didnt bother me. "Get on the train about a few click north, and click on steel canyon."

Yeah I remember regen being the FoTM for a while even after ED and PVP hit. if it wasa scrapper, 95% of the time it was regen with spines primary. If it was stalker 90% of the time it was regen. Then MoG got nerfed to last only a few seconds. Very inferior to me comapred to the old one. And it seemed the devs thought the same as the enemy mob and NPCs kept the old version. If the new one was that much great they would have switched it to the new version like they did with most powers they changed.

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 06:57:21 PM »
I remember helping a guy out and I was like lvl 5 and he took me to Talos Island and he leveled me.  That was the first time I was in Talos.  I rememeber standing at the train station looking around to see if I could find him and see what he was doing.  I got 4-5 levels out of it.  I remember it like it was yesterday.

And hovering over the gulch, what fun was that? 

Lothic

• Lieutenant
  • Like tears in rain...
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 07:18:12 PM »
I remember back during the first few months of the game when you could have a Fire Controller running around with like a dozen Fire Imps!  The Fire Imp power was originally a timed power that would randomly generate 3 to 6 even level Imps per casting.  The trick was that you could get the recharge of that power down so short (especially since this was prior to ED) that you could have 2 or 3 active instances of the power overlapping at a time, thus allowing you to have all the combined Imps up at the same time. ;D

It admittedly pissed me off when the power got nerfed down to one permanent instance with 3 hardwired Imps.  But it was obvious the "Army of Imps" thing was grossly overpowered and was bound to be nerfed.  For what it's worth the 3 Imps version of that power was ultimately easier to play with and turned out to be a good long-term compromise.  Still, for those few months it was fun to run around with a whole horde of Imps.
CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 07:22:47 PM »
How about the time period before team sidekicking when you could make money by just by being mid-40s in Peregrine Island?    Being right on the edge of lower than the team lead, and just high enough to get extra XP, and you could sidekick someone's friend and they'd level *really* fast.

I loved the whole-team SK, but that occasionally did make for some fast leveling in that long stretch between 40 and 50.

GuyPerfect

• Mary Poppins
  • Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 07:49:11 PM »
... Pocket D made that trip between Founders Falls and Kings Row so much bearable?

... the Rikti would go to war nekkid?

... your good friend would take something like five minutes getting his Force Field Mastermind ready for battle every time he entered a mission?

... you were too far away for your mentor to help you?

... level 14 was when things got travely, and you didn't have your fancy Mayhem temps to help out?

... your Peacebringer had to toggle its shields back on every time it got mezzed?

... you had to carefully consider which Arachnos Patron you wanted?

... story arcs would offer you your choice of a Single Origin Enhancement?

... XP Debt mattered?

... there wasn't an AE building crammed in every orifice?

... you could trade up to five digits of Influence at a time?

... a level 37 Hero ran out of missions in Founders Falls?

... you had to run through Port Oakes AND Cap au Diable just to turn in your halloween Salvage?

... Villains had red electricity and Heroes had blue electricity?

... you would see nary an Animated Stone run through an Arachnos base, nor a Giant Fly Trap in a blue cave?

... you couldn't give that Awaken to your teammate in Rikti War Zone because they were your enemy?

... you'd Super Speed into Faultline and have to delete the character?

... the Statesman was still alive? )-:

... Infernal got wings? And then a tail?

... you had to earn your capes and auras?

... "Relentless" and "Invincible" were difficulty settings that cost money?

... Steel Canyon was a scary place, but you Sprinted through it to reach the tailor anyway?

... ol' Smokey got nerfed?

... you were level 46 and were constantly asked to bridge?

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 08:36:16 PM »
... your good friend would take something like five minutes getting his Force Field Mastermind ready for battle every time he entered a mission?
... and then emptied his End bar after each fight to re-summon, re-train, and re-bubble Ninjas.

... when Invulnerability Tankers all took the Teleportation pool so that they could move around without dropping their status protection

... fruit salad

... dumpster diving

... going toe to toe with Kraken, one on one, duking it out for almost half an hour straight, and finally coming out the victor

... actually seeing other people in PvP zones

... Oil Slicks in the Hive

... Hamikinis

... buying SOs from vendors in FF and Bricks

... actually having to find stores and vendors without map markers

... finding my way through every zone in the game using only Sprint (I realize that's mostly just me)

... "surprise" spawns of Kronos just before Hamidon was defeated

... being flattened by a train of mobs from Monster Island as they were being trained onto Portal Corp

Hey, I didn't say they were all good.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Heroette

• Elite Boss
  • Penelope Pistol lives forever in my heart.
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 08:38:15 PM »
Wow, I remember on my way to my first 50, I got stuck at 37 and couldn't get missions, it seemed like forever.  And I used to love to run the Steel Canyon gauntlet to get to Icon (until I figured out it was just a short run from KR gate in IP).

Megajoule

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 08:40:26 PM »
Guy:  Yes.  To all of those.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 08:54:25 PM »
... "Relentless" and "Invincible" were difficulty settings that cost money?

And people bragged about soloing at Invincible, which was the equivalent of +2x1.

/always picked Unyielding / Ruthless because the bigger spawns were worth more XP and more fun anyway.

Brightfires

• Elite Boss
  • ... is *NOT* Groot
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 08:59:08 PM »
Oh, jeeze... That run through Steel to get to the tailor. 'Not one of my fonder memories.

I guess I'm more of a "middle aged" player, since I do remember some of these, but not the really early stuff.
Taker of screenshots. Player of bird-things.

Kyriani

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 09:08:16 PM »
I remember hover sniping clockwork in Boomtown for a kill x amount of clockwork on my ff/psi defender. It was long and tedious but I got the mission done. On that same character I remember getting my butt handed to me in a mission and while near death with no insps hovering near the ceiling with my PFF up hoping my natural regen and recovery would kick in and save me... i lasted a long time but eventually the rng failed me and I was toasted.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 09:55:18 PM »
I'm more "middle aged," having come in on the Good v. Evil pack, but I remember hovering across the Hollows. I actually hated when they combined the Yellow and Green lines of the train system. I probably made less than half a dozen characters that took the full-on travel power before level 14, and I had a damned good RP reason for each one. (I also only slotted Ninja Run if I could justify it to the character concept!)

And, hey! Remember finding a game that so drew you in, that you became so invested in that spending $15 a month for the privilege of playing it didn't seem like all that much?  Cuz I do! :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 10:58:09 PM »
Everyone used to hang at the Alas entrance in Perez, forming groups to do street sweeps...it was the place to be for xp.

Level 50s' were looked at in awe, like being starstruck.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Minotaur

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 11:05:57 PM »
And hovering over the gulch, what fun was that?

More fun than running back from Atlas for some people :)

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 12:17:14 AM »
... the Rikti would go to war nekkid?

The original Rikti were Pak Protectors!
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

Reiraku

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 12:32:16 AM »
I remember when PI snipers would spawn much closer to the ferry. It was great to see a pile of heroes who were dead before they even completely zoned in.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2013, 01:34:40 AM »
- Herding the entire crystal room in the Eden trial into the big hole in front and 2 blasters destroying them all in 5 seconds.

- have Healing flames on auto as that was where your status protection was from

- logging in on my level 40 Fire/Fire blaster and getting a huge string of tells to join a team when 40 was the cap

- laughing at Ice tanks

- making an SR scrapper and he was AWFUL SR was terribly broken at first

- day one live - first time I logged into the game and saw Atlas and heard that music. I fell in love and while we had arguements CoH was my true love.

- watching the sunset over Talos

- going from level 36 to 41 in the sewer trial in one night.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2013, 01:37:51 AM »
- playing games with KO Blow and Skulls in Perez, trying to see who could launch them the highest - with a "judge" hovering to mark the current height to beat
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov