Author Topic: Looking for any game with a control class  (Read 2768 times)

Verdigris

• Minion
Looking for any game with a control class
« on: March 23, 2013, 11:10:19 PM »
Just what the topic says.  I've tried searching the web and I've looked over loads of MMOs, but control classes/ATs seem to be absent. 

Has anyone run across a game with a control class?

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
Re: Looking for any game with a control class
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 12:22:17 AM »
Though none of these are the true control class that we knew as Controllers, here are some options that might come close:

Edit: What might end up being the closest is Neverwinter's Control Wizard, though you'll have to get a beta key to try it out.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 12:46:35 AM by Blondeshell »

Verdigris

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 02:11:16 AM »
I've tried TERA's Mystic, and I was underwhelmed.  I'll check out the Neverwinter class, thanks!

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 02:12:56 AM »
It's an oldie, but if you've ever played Dark Age of Camelot several of the classes there can be specialized into Crowd Control classes.  However, there are immunity timers even in PvE so you've got to prioritize targets.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 06:59:38 AM »
Neverwinter has the control wizard, but there's not much actual control involved in it. Much to the disappointment of everyone I've heard comment on it.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 10:50:59 AM »
They're not MMOs, but Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Dragon Age Origins have powerful crowd control spells.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 02:04:57 PM »
Neverwinter has the control wizard, but there's not much actual control involved in it. Much to the disappointment of everyone I've heard comment on it.

Yeah. It's a dps class with a little bit of control thrown in as your mitigation. You can really only keep one thing locked down. It's a lot of fun, but not a real controller, no. I was going to roll my fire/rad troller as a cleric in that game. Lol

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 05:47:45 AM »
You might be interested in Dungeon Defenders as some of the characters have powerful crowd control abilities.  From Gas Traps of the Huntress to the Monk's Ensnare & Enrage Auras (The Gas Traps act as an AoE Hold while the Ensnare Aura is a huge slow field and the Enrage Aura a big ol' Mass Confusion field), the whole game is based around Crowd Control as it's a Tower Defense/Action RPG hybrid.  However, it's more 'passive' control than 'active', as you fire & forget the traps/auras and only maintain them once they're weakened by enemies.