Author Topic: Neverwinter Beta Weekend 3: Need a Key? Thousands Available.  (Read 7910 times)

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
Re: Neverwinter Beta Weekend 3: Need a Key? Thousands Available.
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
NW gives me the impression that they didn't bother to study the competition.

We are going to see more of the new crop of "F2P" games from day 1. DDO couldn't cut it as a P2P game and it was much better than NW. I certainly hope that Cryptic will quickly right this ship before they relase this game with an awkward UI. Its more keyboard based than I would like.

I didn't really like SW:TOR but I had no problem moving around and getting places. While the mini-map wasn't as good as CoH, it was still decent enough to allow me to get places (usually). NW made a cheap one that looks like its 15 years old.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 02:37:36 AM »
Better late than never.... Walk is /walk 1

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 08:58:04 PM »
I hope Cryptic goes back and delays NW so they can do more work on the UI. It certainly has potential, its better to be a little late fixing things than releasing broken goods and hope people stick around.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 10:04:54 PM »
I'm not sure how much to hope for from the UI. There were some complaints about Marvel Heroes, early on, that were along similar lines. The answer from the community coordinator finally was along the lines of "the control and UI layout are too engrained, at this point, to make changes that significant." Not sure how that applies, here, since NW, ostensibly, shares its engine with STO and CO. It would seem like they wouldn't want to stray so far from "what works," but there may be something we're not seeing, some industry trend that hasn't made its way to us, yet.

I said before how much it feels like a first person shooter in third person (the specific game I mentioned was Borderlands). Maybe that was deliberate. I actually did half expect the scroll wheel to change my on-hand weapon a couple of times.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 12:48:03 PM »
The thing I miss most playing it though, is any reliable way for ranged classes to keep enemies at range. All the melee classes seem to have a charge or similar to get into melee quickly but the same doesn't apply for ranged classes wanting to stay out of melee - within moments of annoying a mob it's going to be in melee with you and you can only dodge/teleport/whatever away so many times.

I miss the spammable immobilise power blasters got at level 1.

shadeovblack

• Minion
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2013, 04:30:56 AM »
I miss the spammable immobilise power blasters got at level 1.

I'd forgotten how much I missed it, till you said it.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2013, 01:28:31 AM »
Seriously, that one power is more control than the so-called control wizard has in all his powers combined, at least for the 15 or so levels of it I played.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 02:08:08 PM »
Seriously, that one power is more control than the so-called control wizard has in all his powers combined, at least for the 15 or so levels of it I played.

15 isn't very high. You get a lot more control as you level up. It you use your chill powers correctly, you can keep a whole group locked down long enough to murder it. There are some massive stuns at higher levels as well. That said, I still see the class as ranged DPS with some control for mitigation.

Maressa

• Boss
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 01:18:21 PM »
Looks like they just announced open beta! Best of all no character wipes or restricted access! People who bought the Founders Packs will also get a chance to play next weekend.