Author Topic: Neverwinter Beta Weekend 3: Need a Key? Thousands Available.  (Read 7907 times)

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
Neverwinter Beta Weekend 3: Need a Key? Thousands Available.
« on: March 22, 2013, 02:05:44 PM »
http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?91021-Need-a-beta-key

Scroll through the thread, people are dropping links to all sorts of websites that are giving away beta keys. If you want to play Neverwinter this weekend, you most certainly can.

There is NO NDA for the Neverwinter betas. Players are encouraged to talk about the game, stream it, take pictures, whatever. It runs fine through Steam as a non-Steam game too.

The server opens at 12 noon PDT (2 PM CST) and runs through Sunday 11:59 PM (1:59 AM CST).

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: Neverwinter Beta Weekend 3: Need a Key? Thousands Available.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 06:06:36 PM »
I was able to pick up one of the keys shortly before Weekend 2, but it was only in the last week that I could even download the client for the game. Just waiting for 12 PDT to start the inevitable updates. :)

See everyone on the CoH chat channel!
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 06:06:57 PM »
Gonna give it a shot but not getting my hopes up.  They seriously named a class "Great Weapons Fighter".

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 07:51:15 PM »
No Great Weapon Fighter.  I'm assuming that means size of weapon.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 11:16:00 PM »
Yeah, it's like Titan-Weapons in proportion.  I made one but didn't like the looks of it much.  I did like the Priest/Cleric thing though, that was fun.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 12:31:42 AM »
me I wait till it goes live... mainly I have to work this weekend.   :gonk:
One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 12:37:45 AM »
Great Weapon Fighters were a thing before Neverwinter, too. It's one of the suggested builds in the D&D 4e players handbook, as are all their other classes. So you can't really blame that one on Cryptic.

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
Neverwinter movement
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 01:08:34 AM »
Can't use my arrow keys to travel.  End of game for me.  Not happening, and that's too bad because it looks okay.  Too bad, so sad.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 01:59:15 AM »
I think that'll drive away a lot of MMO players. But, I'm not sure if it matters, since it's an action MMO and it probably wouldn't be the last irritation average MMO players find with the game.

Action RPGs and action MMOs are becoming their own thing and the key bindings are one of the biggest differences from other MMOs. Neverwinter, I think, has taken the biggest leap, but after the first couple of combats, I was adapted and it began to feel intuitive. This is coming from someone who has been playing MMORPGS since UO, for what it's worth.

However, I prefer a more casual or traditional setup too. I think if Cryptic wants your business, they ought to give you alternative keybind setups like Champions does. Champions is an ARPG too, after all. I actually suspect they're going to do just that. My suspicion (no inside info here) is that they want beta players using the recommended setup. And I COMPLETELY understand why if that's the case. Because if they allowed other kinds of setups, they'd get a lot of players blaming Cryptic after they'd screwed up their settings, trying to get it to feel just like their favorite MMO instead of Neverwinter.

This is actually just what I've done to myself in Champions. That game has always felt clunky to me. I tweaked my controls to function just like City of Heroes. Well recently I changed the settings to work more like they were intended, and low and behold, everything felt really nice and fluid. Of course, that didn't stop me from switching back to my clunky City of Heroes-style controls later; but I did compromise and put a bunch of keybinds around my directional keys, ala The Secret World.

Change is good, except for when I don't like it, and when it comes to controls in an MMO, I freaking hate it. In most cases I'd take mashable buttons and cool-downs (like CoH) over any ARPG any day. But, as strongly as my quirky self feels about it, I know times are a'changin'. In Neverwinter's case I decided to let it grow on me. I think we'll see a lot more games coming out in the ARPG "sub-genre" for MMOs and I don't want to arbitrarily sideline myself. YMMV and this isn't an attempt to talk you into anything, because I sure as heck know how it feels. But for me, personally, I've had to realize, what it comes down to is less "I don't like this control scheme" and more "this doesn't feel like City of Heroes." Because, damn, I just miss the way CoH felt. It felt right and intuitive on day one and never stopped feeling that way. It's weird having to get used to other setups. So weird that I spent a couple of hours my first day in CO, tweaking it to feel as much like CoH as I could get it to.

I know Golden Girl's team wants to build a game where City of Heroes players would feel right at home. She has said that more than once in interviews. Well, I hope they remember the controls and cooldown mechanics and everything. Not every MMO needs to be an ARPG. I've told many people that I feel like NW is kind of the popcorn flick of MMOs. It's a blast to play, but I couldn't settle in there for regular play. When Heroes and Villains comes out some day, I hope the controls feel like City of Heroes felt.

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 03:42:14 AM »
I played thousands of hours on City of Heroes with my arrow keys, nothing on anything else.  I am definitely prejudiced.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 05:40:29 AM »
If I hadn't been moved to working weekends I might try to get in on one of these.  And it doesn't matter to me which keys control movement, as I'll be using a controller whether they properly supported it or not - as I've done with nearly every single MMO I've ever played. 
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 04:59:04 PM »
There were a lot of little things about the movement and mechanics that I didn't like but got use to, sort of against my will. I finally just accepted that it plays like Borderlands. Also, the cleric class plays more like a magic user than a battle mage with armor, the way I've seen it in every iteration of D&D to that point. I did like being able to play a Teifling, which I like better than the robots in DDO. There was a lot of discussion of teaming not working, yet, on the zone chat, so I didn't bother trying. The mob fights seem more like CoH than CO (one hero can take on several mobs in succession before having to sorry about health). Otherwise, I'm still forming impressions.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 09:25:17 PM »
One of the first things I did was rebind my movement keys to the arrow keys.  Is that not working for some people?

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2013, 11:10:13 PM »
I played thousands of hours on City of Heroes with my arrow keys, nothing on anything else.  I am definitely prejudiced.

This is why I disliked the City of Steam beta.  No arrow keys.  No key remapping.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 08:37:14 AM »
I've played a little bit of this now since I managed to snag a key.

Sadly I'm unimpressed so far.

I don't like the combat system. I prefer having a hard target lock. Or SOME kind of target lock. DCUO has a good compromise I thought. It's not a lock like in COH or Champions or Star Trek. But you did tend to target something specific if you were pointed at it. And you can tab to KEEP a lock on something even if it's out of your field of view. Here - I never get the sense that I'm locked on anything at all. Also - you can waste an encounter power or even a daily power on an enemy that's out of range of your attack (melee). DO NOT LIKE. After a while I gave up on using encounter powers or anything at all other than what was on my left click of the mouse. Because it was the only really reliable way I had to damage anything. That got boring VERY fast.

I started with an old standby in my MMO experience. I noticed "Great Weapon" fighter and my old WoW warrior was essentially that (except when I was forced to go to sword and board because I was forced to be the tank by teams. If I wasn't, I got kicked - one of the reasons WoW lost it's appeal to me.) So that's what I decided to try out first. Does anyone know if I chose a "hard mode" character for this play style? I'm willing to grant that maybe that factors into things. In any case, the learning curve for me was more like a cliff. With spikes.

It is a polished world and environment. I'll give it that. The interface looks pretty. But again - there's deal-breaking elements in it. There's no ability to change the camera distance. NONE. AT. ALL. You can't look at something closely unless you go to a specific mode called "inspect" and you lose the HUD and UI interface completely. You can move around and do basic attacks in "inspect mode". But I don't know if you can use any other powers. And you certainly wouldn't have access to the map or be able to see your health in that mode. Or chat. *sigh* What's the use of "Inspect" mode if you can't actually interact with anything?

As for the characters. The character customization is fine for what it is. But I have to say - I don't care for the artstyle. That's just a personal thing. I didn't much like the default Champions character style as much as I did COH - but the sliders are so varied that it wasn't a deal breaker for me. I could eventually learn to work with the sliders and get something I liked. Star Trek's artstyle I REALLY like. They have the perfect blend of slight "animation" style mixed with realistic.

Neverwinter? Meh. It just looks... bland. The characters are stiff. There's no variation in the poses. I got into town and immediately I'm struck with the thought - "Call in the clones!" Because everyone looks the same.

And that bit with the camera distance being locked doesn't help matters. You can't look at anybody closely enough to see any variations if there enough there to matter. It's all a blur at the default camera distance.

And did they have to make most of the hairstyles look like no one has ever bathed? Really? I know this is "medieval fantasy" but come on? There's like 2-3 hairstyles I personally would ever use on a character from the entire list of choices.

Honestly - they could have imported the character artstyle over from STO and tweaked it for fantasy and they would've had a win.

Oh - no way to walk either. Everyone has the same jogging speed. That's something that's started to really annoy me about Fantasy games in general. It's not specific to Neverwinter. But at least in other games, they've maintained the QOL ability to just walk casually if you wanted to - for RP in a bar, say. I can't believe that with "Walk" already an option in CO and STO that they would leave that out of NW.

This overall feels like a step backwards in so many small ways. Their are too many "quality of life" elements that they seem to have deliberately left out of the game. It's like they said - "let's make the MMO equivalent of Diablo and forget about all that silly stuff that makes RPers happy, no one plays games to RP after all, right?"

I'd hope that all of these things would be addressed and tweaked before the game is launched, but this is Cryptic, and they have an extremely bad habit of pushing something to a beta or test server with no intention of actually changing things - only to see if something breaks badly. So...

As I said above, some of my problems with the combat may be the character class I went with first. Great Weapon fighter. I'm making a trickster Rogue now. I'm trying REALLY HARD to give NWO a chance to impress me. So far it hasn't. Maybe trickster rogue will convince me the combat doesn't suck, at least.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2013, 11:13:22 AM »
I see why they were wanting to sell "founder's packs" for this game.  :o

Thank you Cryptic for the beta, I can safely say DDO was a better game and even that could only keep me away from CoH for 3 months.

After playing CoH I am just too spoiled about UI. SW:TOR had a better interface than NW. Mini map and quests are just so gag. NW doesn't beat out DDO which is a shame.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2013, 02:06:41 PM »
You can lock your target by holding ctrl in Neverwinter.  :-D

I also think there is a walk because I've seen people do it, but I don't remember for sure. At one point there was no sit, either, but that has come, so I imagine it will be in before launch if it isn't now. I will ask my guildies about it later.

This game is not for everyone. It's very different from anything else I've played, but it happens to suit me and a lot of my old CoH group well. I know a lot of people won't like it, though. Hope everyone is at least having fun poking around in it.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 02:14:14 PM by Lily Barclay »

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2013, 12:17:29 AM »
I haven't tried it in Neverwinter but in Champions you can go /bind whatever "++walk" to make whatever key toggle walk. If it's just the option missing from the keybinds menu then that should still work, it's the same engine.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 04:49:42 AM »
I haven't tried it in Neverwinter but in Champions you can go /bind whatever "++walk" to make whatever key toggle walk. If it's just the option missing from the keybinds menu then that should still work, it's the same engine.

Nope. tried the keybind. Doesn't work.

I'm beginning to suspect that Neverwinter is not really as "tied in" with the other two games in terms of the game engine as a lot of people seem to think. It acts too differently. I suspect this is running on a "next gen" version of the Cryptic Engine.

Which is a damn shame, because they're going in a direction I don't want to follow. Oh well.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2013, 12:59:45 PM »
Thank you Cryptic for the beta, I can safely say DDO was a better game and even that could only keep me away from CoH for 3 months.

I think this really sums up my impression of the game. I like it well enough, but it made me want to DDO. Or, in a couple of instances, the Bioware(?) Neverwinter Nights. I won't spend any money on this game, soon.

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2013, 10:52:00 PM »
NW gives me the impression that they didn't bother to study the competition.

We are going to see more of the new crop of "F2P" games from day 1. DDO couldn't cut it as a P2P game and it was much better than NW. I certainly hope that Cryptic will quickly right this ship before they relase this game with an awkward UI. Its more keyboard based than I would like.

I didn't really like SW:TOR but I had no problem moving around and getting places. While the mini-map wasn't as good as CoH, it was still decent enough to allow me to get places (usually). NW made a cheap one that looks like its 15 years old.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 02:37:36 AM »
Better late than never.... Walk is /walk 1

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 08:58:04 PM »
I hope Cryptic goes back and delays NW so they can do more work on the UI. It certainly has potential, its better to be a little late fixing things than releasing broken goods and hope people stick around.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 10:04:54 PM »
I'm not sure how much to hope for from the UI. There were some complaints about Marvel Heroes, early on, that were along similar lines. The answer from the community coordinator finally was along the lines of "the control and UI layout are too engrained, at this point, to make changes that significant." Not sure how that applies, here, since NW, ostensibly, shares its engine with STO and CO. It would seem like they wouldn't want to stray so far from "what works," but there may be something we're not seeing, some industry trend that hasn't made its way to us, yet.

I said before how much it feels like a first person shooter in third person (the specific game I mentioned was Borderlands). Maybe that was deliberate. I actually did half expect the scroll wheel to change my on-hand weapon a couple of times.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2013, 12:48:03 PM »
The thing I miss most playing it though, is any reliable way for ranged classes to keep enemies at range. All the melee classes seem to have a charge or similar to get into melee quickly but the same doesn't apply for ranged classes wanting to stay out of melee - within moments of annoying a mob it's going to be in melee with you and you can only dodge/teleport/whatever away so many times.

I miss the spammable immobilise power blasters got at level 1.

shadeovblack

• Minion
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2013, 04:30:56 AM »
I miss the spammable immobilise power blasters got at level 1.

I'd forgotten how much I missed it, till you said it.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2013, 01:28:31 AM »
Seriously, that one power is more control than the so-called control wizard has in all his powers combined, at least for the 15 or so levels of it I played.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2013, 02:08:08 PM »
Seriously, that one power is more control than the so-called control wizard has in all his powers combined, at least for the 15 or so levels of it I played.

15 isn't very high. You get a lot more control as you level up. It you use your chill powers correctly, you can keep a whole group locked down long enough to murder it. There are some massive stuns at higher levels as well. That said, I still see the class as ranged DPS with some control for mitigation.

Maressa

• Boss
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 01:18:21 PM »
Looks like they just announced open beta! Best of all no character wipes or restricted access! People who bought the Founders Packs will also get a chance to play next weekend.