Author Topic: I need to play CoX. Can I yet?  (Read 6581 times)

sindyr

• Boss
I need to play CoX. Can I yet?
« on: March 16, 2013, 11:40:25 PM »
Call me a sad loser - I won't argue the point.  But I have nothing fun or positive in my life, and I need to go back to playing CoX.

I don't give a crap whether it's legal or not, I just need to play, even if it's solo on an empty server (apart from NPCs of course.)

If anyone can help, my private email is <REMOVED> and I could use a lifeline.  So if anyone has figured out how to run a fully functional for soloing private CoX server, my soul needs an email from you.

Thanks.

[EDIT: Don't post your emails, people. Basic internet security, folks! There are bots and trolls everywhere! ~Agge]
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 12:19:42 AM by Aggelakis »

Sleepy Wonder

• Boss
  • MWM: Programmer, UI Designer, Bases
Re: I need to play CoX. Can I yet?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 02:20:39 AM »
I'm sorry, but since when is posting one's email a security risk? Security through obscurity is a security risk, and hiding behind it by hiding one's email wont solve anything. All it will do is force people to register and PM sidnyr here for it or look at their profile.

By removing it for them, you deny them any contact with people who may be browsing but do not want to be bothered by registering.

Shouldn't that be left up to the user to decide? How do you know it isnt a dummy account or that sindyr doesn't have basic knowledge of spam and scammer tactics? It's not really the job of an administrator to hand-hold users or assume things about them.

So is posting of one's email is not allowed on these forums?

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 03:36:23 AM »
You have a point, but it's still a bad move to post it on a forum where the messages can be read (and therefore, botted) by anyone.  It is a safety precaution that TPTB here are taking for the user's sake, and frankly their own.  Liablity can be... odd.  Bad press, doubly so. Those sorts of things.

If the user wants to post their email, and do not want the mods to take it off, they are *more* than welcome to post it again with those specific instructions.  Although, I don't really know if the mods will adhere to that, due to whatever the forum rules are on that.  I know I wouldn't put an email on here, or anywhere else, for the same reason: Not very secure, spamminators abound.

/And there ya go.  Here's to the day that Soon(tm) arrives for CoH to be risen again! *salute* *hoist glass*

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 04:33:47 AM »
Call me a sad loser - I won't argue the point.

I would never do that, and anybody who would isn't worth talking to.

To answer your question: there's nothing playable yet. However we do know of at least two attempts to create something playable based on City's client, and at least two other attempts to create whole new games in City's likeness. So "not yet" is not the same as "not ever." It may not be exactly the same city we left, but we'll have a city again. I don't doubt that for a second.

I feel your pain. Waiting sucks ***. But look at it this way... at least there's something to wait for. We don't know exactly what it'll be, or when it'll happen, but something is on the way. City's future is not an empty void. We just need to find things to fill our time with until it gets here. Oh, and support those attempts when they ask for it, so "one day" gets here even sooner.

Stay safe out there, hero. We'll fly again.

By removing it for them, you deny them any contact with people who may be browsing but do not want to be bothered by registering.

In my personal opinion, if someone finds registering on a forum too bothersome, then they didn't have anything worth saying in the first place. So no loss there. But putting your email address out there for anyone with an internet browser to see? Now that could lead to problems. Not everyone realizes that though, some users need people with more experience to point out these things.

To have let that email address sit out there would have been highly irresponsible on a moderator's part, and I for one am happy that the people looking after this site have strong enough moral fibre to do more than just look the other way.

Frostyfrozen

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 07:14:49 AM »
Sindyr your among friends here. We are all feeling as if we're jigsaw puzzles and NCsoft has ripped one of the big pieces out. I can't give you any other news or tips then have you joined a Face Book CoH group? That might help. What server was home to you?
Try: City of Heroes  . If you where from Triumph there is Triumph United coh
But remember your not alone in missing wearing the cape!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 07:41:58 AM by Frostyfrozen »

Cendwar

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 09:09:14 AM »
There's nothing fully playable that I know of, but there is the SEGS server. You can zone into atlas park and hear the music, possibly even run through the map in dev mode options by pressing f2, but that's all. I suppose it's better than nothing. http://segs.nemerle.eu/forumz/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=8016
Champion Server: Cendwar Dark/EM Tank - Vehement Ragefire SS/FA Brute - Desolation Within Spines/FA Scrapper - General Hoffman AR/Traps Blaster - Thoughtfire Plague FC/PA Dominator - Bash 'n Slash BS/SD Scrapper - Dream Slave - BA/EA Brute

Lycantropus

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 10:21:37 AM »
I know how you feel, Sindyr, but just posting your personal email out there to see is a personal risk that isn't worth the effort. If you look around here and elsewhere, as others have pointed out, there are 'grass roots' efforts (some in the works longer than others) to try and restore something of our beloved City to us. I'd love some more info myself, and I wish I could do more, but I have no programming/code knowledge to speak of, so I wish I had more to tell you. Just don't give up hope. A hero never quits, and a villain never stops.

Just know you're not alone, and Paragon City still lives in the hearts of many, including myself.

Lyc~

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 01:36:04 PM »
This thread finally drove me to give SEGs a try. It feels... really nostalgic, if not a little bit lonely.

But hopeful. We will get our City back, one way or another. It will happen. And you have all of us here cheering for the same thing.
Woo! - Argent Girl

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 02:38:24 PM »
Has SEGS advanced to the point that everyone logged in shares the same Atlas Park?

nemerle

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 03:08:17 PM »
Everyone shares the same map server but nobody sees anyone else. After the current blocking issue is solved that will quickly change tough :)

sindyr

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 05:47:20 PM »
[EDIT: Don't post your emails, people. Basic internet security, folks! There are bots and unicorns everywhere! ~Agge]

Actually, I am fine with it - I am an IT consultant so while I wouldn't recommend it for a neophyte, it's not an issue for me.

In fact, I kind of NEED my email to be posted, because if someone is running a quasi legal server, I want them to be able to contact me directly.

Am I not allowed to here, or is that just a precaution in case I didn't know what I was doing? As in, may I post my email if I want to?

sindyr

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 05:57:39 PM »
By the way, it's not that I fail to see that eventually(tm) one or more projects might bear fruit, it's that:

1) CoX was a unique jewel, and I will not believe in something without proof.  One or more of these projects might be as fun, and I am pulling for that, but there is the very real and not at all minimal chance that something new won't be close enough to what I had.

2) Building a game like this from the ground up is a massive effort, and takes a lot of hard work and most of all, time.  However, the pains of withdrawal inside me don't care at all about these things.  Pain in the present can't be lessened by hope for cure in the future.

Which is another way to say that of course it will be months - more likely, years - before we even get a *chance* to get anything like City again.  But the wounded beast in me cannot be reasonable and patient.  I need this now.  And since there's no way I can get a legal alternative now, I am looking beyond what is strictly legal.

So that's where I am at.

I'll try this one more time, and I guess if a mod edits it, then I will know that I am not permitted to post it -

If any of you have any secret solutions, email me at bennAT4efix.com, replacing the AT with the "@" sign (there, at least botting won't be an issue.)

Thanks.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 05:57:50 PM »
Well, one issue that I have with it is that we don't really have any particular way to verify that you're posting your e-mail.  As scummy as it might be, you could be posting someone else's e-mail as a way to grief them by getting it reaped by spam harvesters.  So while nuking e-mail addresses is a way to protect you, it's also a way to protect others also.

sindyr

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 07:02:38 PM »
I didn't even think of that, that's horrible.

However, feel free to email me at the above email to verify me if you like.

Rigo42

• Minion
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2013, 05:16:44 PM »
Thread totally de railed :(

Anyways, not yet
Awaiting the day I can return to my childhood-created hero :)

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2013, 09:04:38 PM »
1) CoX was a unique jewel, and I will not believe in something without proof.  One or more of these projects might be as fun, and I am pulling for that, but there is the very real and not at all minimal chance that something new won't be close enough to what I had.

Here's some "proof": what out there right now is "close enough" to CoX to earn your loyalty? I look around, and I see NOTHING. Not one, single game worth the effort and love I poured into CoX. NO-THING.

Therefore I am willing to give a new game a chance. The fact that it MIGHT not meet my expectations does not mean I don't want to see it. After all, there is the chance that it will be just as good.... or dare I say, better.

Also kind of wondering what "proof" you need that other games are being developed. We have a lot of proof now. Are the Plan Z people just yanking our chains, pretending to develop a game with the intention of yelling "APRIL FOOLS!!!! HAHA" six months from now? Who do you think is running these efforts, NCSoft?  :P

2) Building a game like this from the ground up is a massive effort, and takes a lot of hard work and most of all, time.  However, the pains of withdrawal inside me don't care at all about these things.  Pain in the present can't be lessened by hope for cure in the future.

Present anguish can't be ameliorated by looking forward to something in the future? There is where we differ. Because that is ALL that is levening my pain at the moment: the hope that one day, I will fly again.

Can't get behind this attitude of "it might suck, so nope, can't get my hopes up." This strikes me as a totally defeatist mindset.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2013, 09:12:41 PM »
Are the Plan Z people just yanking our chains, pretending to develop a game with the intention of yelling "APRIL FOOLS!!!! HAHA" six months from now?
Don't be silly. April 1st is less than two weeks away!

...more seriously, we are actually quite excited by how things are moving, at least over at the Phoenix Project, and we're looking forward to sharing some of that excitement not just in our weekly updates, but at a panel at NorWesCon on March 29th. If you're going to be there or in the Seattle area, come by at 4 pm and visit Doctor Tyche/downix and myself as we host said panel.

That, and the various screenshots and limited videos and all the discussion on our forums and over here is what proof we have at the moment; hopefully it's enough for the time being. We will keep all of you on these forums appraised, though. Keep your chin up!

Kriiden

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 01:29:25 AM »

...more seriously, we are actually quite excited by how things are moving, at least over at the Phoenix Project, and we're looking forward to sharing some of that excitement not just in our weekly updates, but at a panel at NorWesCon on March 29th. If you're going to be there or in the Seattle area, come by at 4 pm and visit Doctor Tyche/downix and myself as we host said panel.

That, and the various screenshots and limited videos and all the discussion on our forums and over here is what proof we have at the moment; hopefully it's enough for the time being. We will keep all of you on these forums appraised, though. Keep your chin up!

I REALLY hope people don't pull a CoX april fool's joke...

However, if they did, it would be entertaining to see it gain a following, and people actually believing it. I would pay to see NCsuck publicly announce that they aren't actually re releasing the game, and give them MORE negative attention, while drawing some POSITIVE attention to our various movements.

Not that I support being a troll or anything...

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 03:29:08 AM »

not to say we don't do an April Fools Day joke, but the game itself won't be it.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 03:31:20 AM »
Everyone shares the same map server but nobody sees anyone else. After the current blocking issue is solved that will quickly change tough :)

Now that would be great.  At least we could hang out together in Atlas Park.