Author Topic: Neverwinter beta weekend 2  (Read 7334 times)

therain93

• Elite Boss
Neverwinter beta weekend 2
« on: March 10, 2013, 12:32:52 AM »
Anyone else in and playing around with it?
I see that there is a CoH Refugees chat channel and a City of Heroes Chat Channel that each have 25 members or so (as of this morning) so some of yas are out there (and I assume Tony is tonyvz on the boards).
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: Neverwinter beta weekend 2
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 06:40:02 PM »
I was able to download the client, but, since my code is for Weekend Three and beyond, I can't even update the game, yet. Looking forward to it, though.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 12:03:17 AM »
Since I'm a lifer with STO, I am currently able to play in BETA. I must say, I am not disappointed with what I have seen yet.

Without giving away too many details, I will say that the graphics are not ugly (I am looking at you CO), the character generator is flexible and allows for a fair amount of customization (on par with STO), gameplay flows well although there is a bit of a learning curve with their targeting/ movement system.

Overall it seems that they have adapted a lot of the mechanics from STO so If you're already familiar with that game, NW will make sense to you almost immediately.

I'd say that if you get the chance to try it, take a look.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 04:14:57 AM »
I'm not buying into it, especially since I'm working weekends right now, and I thus haven't received an invite though I do want to give the game a try.  Recently saw the video about mounts and was disappointed (as I usually am with mounts) with the lack of mounted combat.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 03:23:06 PM »
My advice for anyone looking at Neverwinter is to be very aware of your assumptions and expectations, then check them at the door.  Don't reference it as a Cryptic game and don't reference it as a DnD game (and certainly not a successor to CoH) -- more detail in the spoilers.

Spoiler for Hidden:
This does not appear to be the typical Cryptic game with tons of customization, at least at the start.  You will look like just about everyone else in terms of costume and physical appearance.  But, there's a promise of per-use microtransactions.... Characters look a bit awkward with default stances and they jump a bit oddly, but otherwise move (and emote) pretty well.

Character creation was a bit of a letdown also, as you get to pick your origin from numerous places in the realm and a one sentence back story (recruit of the Flaming Fist, monster hunter, etc.), but it appears to be relatively meaningless and we all start in the same tutorial zone, which can last a long while (or atleast seem tedious).  I hope there will be an opportunity to bypass it or start elsewhere...

The combat action (for the control wizard) was relatively fun, although presently the mouse scheme is a bit questionable.  There is no free mouse look during combat, nor is there any zoom in/zoom out.  I did not find the encounters terribly difficult as healing comes pretty easy at the beginning -- I never died (except when I had to kill myself to get out of a bugged instance [Blacklake Skirmish]).  I did not go hardcore playing the game, making it only to about level 11 and visiting the tower district.  Battling Orcs was a bit more exciting.

This really isn't DnD, other than the setting.  The classes are fixed and there are no weapon proficiencies; they've reverted to skill trees that have repeating skills...magic missle 1, magic missle 2, magic missle 3.  When "rolling" stats, it's really just rotating through an array of preset stat distributions, ensuring that your primary and secondary skills have the highest -- there's no point buy, or even an opportunity to gimp a stat to make something else exceptional.

One of the more fun aspects were the traps - I felt like I was playing Neverwinter Nights as a stumbled around setting bunches of them off.  Definitely a need for someone to spot traps.  Speaking of which, there are skills such as Thieving, Arcana, Religion, Nature and Dungeoneering, for which you can purchase kits that give anyone a ~65% chance of success -- early on those kits are a waste as the cost of them doesn't come anywhere near what you will find.  THey also are not properly itemized.

Speaking of costs.....there are a stupid amount of currencies in game. There are --
  • Bronze, Gold, Silver, which drops.  Unfortunately, they're only good for merchants, not on the auction house.
  • Astral Diamonds, which you get from praying and possibly major quests.  These are used on the Auction House and also can be acquired with Zen. You will require many thousands of them along the way.....
  • Celestial Coins, which come from praying, but disappear if you don't log in daily and pray/invoke again.
  • Ardent (?) Coins, which come from praying
  • At least 4 types of seals
  • Glory
  • maybe other stuff (not including bounty items which are quasi currency, yet take inventory space)
That's just seriously annoying.

Possibly the most redeeming value to the game will be the Forge and Foundry -- it will do what I think we all wanted AE to ever do.  I admit I did not check it out this weekend, but will during Beta Weekend 3, but here's some video showing off the system (including branching, conditional dialogue and custom maps).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhpYM8GDMIE&t=4m45s

When all is said and done, I don't see myself buying a founder's pack.  It looks like character slots will be 500 zen for 2 and I could potentially see myself buying a few extra slots since you only get 2.  But, it's definitely a try before you buy situation.  beta keys are available online in lots of places, although the Pc-Gamer mag seems to be the most reliable source.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 04:18:33 PM by therain93 »
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lothic

• Lieutenant
  • Like tears in rain...
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 04:50:15 PM »
I got a beta invite last week for the beta weekend event #2 but I didn't quite find myself motivated enough to give it a try.  I usually want to like any new D&D game in general but I've never really been a fan since 3.0+ and I eventually got bored with STO as well so if this game is heavily based on either of those systems I'll probably have to give it a pass. *shrugs*
CoH player from April 25, 2004 to November 30, 2012

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 08:59:28 AM »
I've been very critical of Cryptic in the past and frankly I didn't have much faith that Neverwinter would be very good.

However, after playing Neverwinter during this last beta weekend I was pleasantly surprised by how good it was. Once I got used to the weird interface that is.

BTW, if you do decide to start playing Neverwinter, please join the CoX channel. It was started by players back in 2009 shortly after CO started. Players can talk to each other in that channel across Champions Online & Star Trek Online & Neverwinter.
Paragon City refugee - "We're heroes, it's what we do."

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 06:17:42 PM »
Players can talk to each other in that channel across Champions Online & Star Trek Online & Neverwinter.
Now that's cool. Global channel that is truly global.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 06:23:59 PM »
Oops, only just saw this. I was there. Will be there for 3 as well.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 02:10:16 PM »
I was there during the first two beta weekends, and I'll be there this weekend.  I'm pretty stoked about the game's launch.  Meanwhile, I'm going to mercilessly steal this from Kheldarn:

Quote from: Kheldarn
I was informed of something interesting over on the Something Awful forums.

If you go to http://promo.pcgamer.com/Neverwinter/, you can eventually get two promo codes for the Beta: One for a Pale Horse mount, and one for a Storm Rider mount.

Keep refreshing the page until you get one of the following questions, and then enter the answer provided.

MAKE SURE THE ANSWER IS ALL LOWERCASE!

Metro Last Light is in the year 2034
The first class listed on the Neverwinter article is great weapon fighter
The amount of classes announced for Neverwinter is 5
The Neverwinter article was written by kat bailey

Once you get one of those questions, fill in the form below it, check your e-mail, veryify your e-mail, get a follow up e-mail with your code in a very small font, copy it, and then go here and enter it:

https://my.perfectworld.com/nw/?going_to=/nw/redeemkey.

It will tell you which horse you got. Then, go back to the first link, and do it again. If you use gMail, you can get the verify and code e-mails sent to the same address by including a period in your e-mail address (or omitting it if it already contains one). So, if your e-mail is my.email@gmail.com, you can use it and then myemail@gmail.com to get two codes. If it's already myemail@gmail.com, you can use that and my.email@gmail.com for your codes.

And here are pics of the mounts
Pale Horse
Stormrider

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 02:28:58 AM »

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 06:16:34 PM »
Yay! Now, I'm one of the cool kids with a fancy horsey! :D

Thanks for the heads up, guys.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2013, 06:57:06 AM »
Yes, thank you for this. I got the black one.