Author Topic: Planescape Torment sequel, maybe? Not really...  (Read 1471 times)

Tenzhi

• Elite Boss
    • My DeviantArt Page
Planescape Torment sequel, maybe? Not really...
« on: March 07, 2013, 08:43:44 AM »
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera?ref=live

I loved the first game - it's story and characters, and I loved the Planescape setting...

But alas, this doesn't appear to continue with any of that.  It could still be a great game, but it seems like it's doing a bit of coattail riding for a quick popularity boost.  The vistas presented are fanciful enough that it has my attention should it go forward, though.
When you insult someone by calling them a "pig" or a "dog" you aren't maligning pigs and dogs everywhere.  The same is true of any term used as an insult.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
Re: Planescape Torment sequel, maybe? Not really...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 11:06:59 AM »
Planescape: Torment is a very hard act to follow.  It's story was well-told and complete, and I honestly don't feel it needs a sequel.  However, from reading the kickstarter page, it seems as though they're going for a spiritual successor, with no characters or settings from PS:T carrying over.

Personally, this game's got my hackles raised a bit, mostly on account of the name.  Like you've said, Tenzhi, it seems to be doing a lot fo coattail-riding, touting its similarity to PS:T and the fact that many people working on it also worked on PS:T.  Honestly, I feel this is a terrible decision and that they should let the game stand on its own merits - if their universe and their game is anywhere near as good as they're hyping it, then it should be able to hold out fine on its own without having to cling to PS:T's legacy like that.

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 11:42:48 AM »
If their universe and their game is anywhere near as good as they're hyping it, then it should be able to hold out fine on its own without having to cling to PS:T's legacy like that.

I wonder if the same could or should be applied to either of the Plan Z projects.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 10:11:15 PM »
Am I reading that right? In 24 hours, it has almost 35000 backers and has hit double its target? That bodes well for us, I guess, if the community can be rallied.

It's this stage that makes me worry about the division of efforts in Plan Z: so few of us can afford to contribute to more than one of the projects when it gets to the fund raising phase.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

rianfrostdrake

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 06:53:40 AM »
I'll admit that I felt that project eterntiy was the spiritual sequel to ps:t.  Yeah the settign was different, but a top down traditional rpg wrtten by chris avellone? I tend to see the game creators as eing as important as the settings for games.