Author Topic: sooooo,i need answers"will we ever play coh/cov again?  (Read 14325 times)

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
Re: sooooo,i need answers"will we ever play coh/cov again?
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2013, 05:43:57 PM »
Seriously ignorant question: if the game is still "alive" on each of our computers, does that include the missions? We have our characters and the visual game "world," but what about the missions? It would be nice if at least the newspaper missions were still in there somehow, since those were pretty generic.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2013, 05:56:13 PM »
It's all in the piggs, I believe. I could be wrong on that.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2013, 06:35:40 PM »
It's all in the piggs, I believe. I could be wrong on that.

not wrong, the only thing thats actually on the server is game save information but that can be restored from the files Sentinel output, however an import script will have to be written to accept the scripts.

all the missions and graphics are on our computers.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2013, 07:03:03 PM »
ALL of the missions? Including contact missions and TFs? If so, that is a serious "wow."

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2013, 07:27:42 PM »
And the piggs also have plenty of things that were never publicly shown. Scrapped ideas, various assets, etc. Stuff that future server runners could dig into and mess with, one would assume.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2013, 07:38:27 PM »
Seriously ignorant question: if the game is still "alive" on each of our computers, does that include the missions? We have our characters and the visual game "world," but what about the missions? It would be nice if at least the newspaper missions were still in there somehow, since those were pretty generic.

The mission scripts were never in the client piggs.

At various points in history, the mission text has existed there, but just the translations from strings like P472718521 to English (for localization). So the text for all the missions is jumbled up in no particular order. The last time that was in the files was shortly after freedom launch, then somebody noticed and removed it again as it went missing from later versions.

The mission maps of course are there, in all their Generic_Office_45_02 glory ;).

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2013, 08:37:03 PM »
The mission scripts were never in the client piggs.

At various points in history, the mission text has existed there, but just the translations from strings like P472718521 to English (for localization). So the text for all the missions is jumbled up in no particular order. The last time that was in the files was shortly after freedom launch, then somebody noticed and removed it again as it went missing from later versions.

The mission maps of course are there, in all their Generic_Office_45_02 glory ;).

lol, titan network forums has all the mission texts anyways, and scripting a mission isn't too hard but scripting all those missions froms scratch will be tedious unless you were smart and did an output algorithm like text1 opening missing text, text 2 next mission text link to mouseclick script at such and such a location dealing with such and such a contact, now use that code base and replace this mission's text with another catch to the next contact and output different mission files.

ok.. um actually if you like codeweaver I can script this in python for you a script that can read mission texts and correlate them with contacts levels you name it, just tell me how such things are defined in the current script and I can make it work.

(P.S. I just wrote my own custom save file writing and reading scripts for my own current project)
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2013, 09:52:54 PM »
Finding a way to use the game again is not theft.  We bought and paid for our disks.  And there is legal precedent and documented court cases where it was decided that creating something that interfaced with a Microsoft property and allowed someone to use the digital property they already owned is fair use and entirely legal.

Greeeeaaaaat... I just lost the game, and the discs and all my backups... and everthing else I own... in a house fire.  Now you tell me!  AUGH!

Kriiden

• Lieutenant
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2013, 10:20:34 PM »
Greeeeaaaaat... I just lost the game, and the discs and all my backups... and everthing else I own... in a house fire.  Now you tell me!  AUGH!

I'm sorry about your fire. Hope everything turns out well in the end.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2013, 11:36:28 PM »

I can replace this much:

http://www.savecoh.com/p/download-issue-24-beta.html
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2013, 11:48:58 PM »
ALL of the missions? Including contact missions and TFs? If so, that is a serious "wow."

As I understand it, that is true EXCEPT for some of the more recent material like the SSA arcs. The SSA arcs were held on the server side so people couldn't PIGG dive and find them (and spoil them).

But other than that, pretty much yeah.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2013, 01:50:37 AM »
In all seriousness if you need a replacement Hurple I have one - I once bought a full City of Villains box set on sale for cheap. It even has a Statesman card inside.

Just PM me and I will mail it out.

Helyom

• Underling
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2013, 06:10:59 PM »
Guys, we can require the legal rigths about oue A. System creations. Please check it. Another way: I wrote to NCSOFT last week and asked for City of  Heores off line game. The system could work like "Assassins Creed" holoplay: log in, download our chars, arcs and play.

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2013, 07:02:48 PM »
I have to honestly confess I do not understand the value of keeping the client installed at all as things stand. Of course, it helps I only had five toons and none of them had even reached level forty, let alone fifty. I found the game six to nine months before That Day. I don't mind starting over in terms of creating characters, but really, tell me straight out - what can I DO with the client on my computer, right now, as it stands, if I install it, and how can each thing be done? Depending on the answer, I might use that link Victoria. But right now I don't see the point.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2013, 08:22:59 PM »
Because, a disk out of the box is not going to have all the updates on it that the version of your computer does.

I have three different boxed disks of CoV/H. I could reinstall using any of those, but the problem is that those disks don't have all the downloaded updates that the version on my computer has. That version is up-to-the-minute, right until the last moment of the game. That's why I am going to back it up at least twice before I try SEGs.

Right now, its not so important but if we get a good, updated emulator *later* it might well be really important.

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2013, 01:42:51 PM »
Ah, I see. So it's more that it's worth archiving, not installed but available. And the internet being what it is, you can't be sure you'll be able to download it later. Alright, I"ll use that link then. Thanks.