Author Topic: Need New Computer Suggestions  (Read 9494 times)

Hejist

• Underling
  • @Ghostchase
Re: Need New Computer Suggestions
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 08:34:22 PM »
Oh, so many ways to skin cats... Heh.

;)

@Ghostchase

Edit:QFT see below.
If you really want to get SLI/Crossifre do that on day 1 or don't bother.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:34:34 PM by Hejist »
@Ghostchase - M15F1T fire/trapper

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 08:48:31 PM »
I happen to agree with the single card solution, if only for the KISS principle... but there's enough out there to say single is a better idea for stability.

Motherboard is noticably cheaper, PSU is cheaper. Too often rookies buy an SLI motherboard and 1000W power supply to "future proof" then never get a 2nd video card, thus wasting money. If you really want to get SLI/Crossifre do that on day 1 or don't bother.

Houtex: Better not try that with my cat....

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 06:46:54 AM »
But why not?  I mean, maybe it could use a good skim coat to even out the roughness...

...what, you thought I meant to take it's skin off?!  What are you, sick?!  That's...  *goes to Google things...*

...OOOhhh.... so THAT'S what that means?  Nasty.  That's just silly, why would anyone want to skin a cat... it's not very good for... well, anything, except keeping the cat warm and petting...

MindBlender

• Boss
  • My Main was a healer, wish he was here now.
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 01:21:49 PM »
Hejist: Sorry not a fan of crossfire or SLI. I go single card. Its much cheaper and has less compatability issues. Since I buy a new rig roughly every 18 months, I keep costs reasonable and a relative/friend gets a pretty nice system cheap.

I need a friend like you!  I'm using a Dell 3000 from ages ago.  I did some work to it to be able to play games at mid settings, but I will be buying a new unit for the NEW CoH  ;D
All my computer skill was used up on my Commodore 64 decades ago...

Mistress Urd

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 09:24:07 PM »
I need a friend like you!  I'm using a Dell 3000 from ages ago.  I did some work to it to be able to play games at mid settings, but I will be buying a new unit for the NEW CoH  ;D

I know of people with older Dells with RAMBUS who insist to me its a GOOD idea to buy more RAM at $300 then trashing their 7 year old Dell and they complain to me their machine is too slow. *sighs* small wonder why I get so cynical about it.
Looks, and to think I only got rid of my C=128D in 2011.

antarcticaa

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 06:29:38 AM »
Ok, this is probably a really stupid question, but is there a computer you can put together for around $1000 or less?  I'm a teacher on a budget and I'll really need to save in order to get the new computer I need.  My computer is so slow and I'm not looking for the fastest rig on the planet, just one that will play most of the games effectively.  I can't put one together so I'll have to go to my local computer store to have it assembled.  I'm simply not computer proficient.  What would y'all recommend?

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 08:33:38 PM »
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

antarcticaa

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 02:42:05 AM »